It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is youtube deliberately pushing the Boston conspiracy?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Almost all my youtube recommended videos for weeks have been about the Boston bombings. Not the official story but the conspiracey.

I've only watched one or two Boston vids and that was weeks ago, why are YouTube not recommending my favourite topics but filling my live feed with this crap?

edit on 9-5-2013 by Wifibrains because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Probably because it's just a trend at the moment. Whenever something big happens they probably promote videos about it. I remember when Charlie Sheen went on his bender a few summers ago all I saw for weeks in the recommended videos was Charlie Sheen this and that. Every time you click a video YouTube gains advertising revenue, so it's in their best interest to get people to watch as many videos as possible.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Wifibrains

It's a trend but more likely because you are not clearing your history...

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Thanks guys I'll try clearing my history. If that's the trend it really is bad taste, some of the thumb nails for the vids are quite graphic and I just don't want to see it every time I check home feed. Can I remove them? It's annoying

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Wifibrains

Do you watch other conspiracy based videos on Youtube? I think it recommends any and all videos like past videos you have watched.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Yep it recommends the kind of stuff you already wacth. If you had been watching monkey videos you would be suggestions for all things primate.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by parkwoods21

Not really, mainly fmotl videos and music. Public interactions with police and other authorities.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 10:28 PM
link   
They aren't trying to get people to watch them.

Youtube recommends videos based on the videos you've recently watched. And typically it recommends videos that have a lot of views or are popular.

So if you watch an official story video of Boston, you may be recommended to watch a conspiracy one, since they both pertain to the same thing. Especially if the video has a high amount of views.

And it's the same with any other type of video. If I watch a music video, it'll recommend simliair videos to the music video I watched. I'm guessing it works off of keywords/tags in order to show people something they may want to watch.

So, their not doing it purposely, the search engine for youtube simply recommends videos that share the same keywords/tags as the videos you've previously watched.

top topics

join