It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man sticks finger into saw blade to prove his invention

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by DAVID64

The only problem i see with this is how many times does it get triggered for no apparent reason other than it got tricked. it is not like it knows the difference between a frank and finger.

I could see a lot of down time cuz of this. who knows. Clever invention though.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Conspiracyskeptic
Now that's a very useful invention and all table saws SHOULD have it as part of the design and national laws should be passed that orders companies manufacturing table saws to either have the device as part of the saw or be banned from selling their table saws in the countries the have that law.

edit on 10-5-2013 by Conspiracyskeptic because: spelling correction
enough with laws being passed about things that should be left up to the individual,if you want this attachment then buy it.but do not force it on me.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Now to perfect it. figure a way so the blade retracts and the energy is transmitted in a way so that nothing breaks.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 05:46 PM
link   
It would be very cool if they could somehow rig this up or design one for bandsaws.

Butchers everywhere would rejoice!

I kid you not.
I know a few butchers,(was training to be one myself)
and after lifetimes of working with meat cutting, most are missing a finger or two.

Would be great for the meat cutting industry

edit on 10-5-2013 by Darkblade71 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sagitaris
Now to perfect it. figure a way so the blade retracts and the energy is transmitted in a way so that nothing breaks.
that would be ideal,but man it would be very hard to shift that kind of momentom in 1 thousanth of a second without damaging something.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by davespanners
Having a dad that worked in engineering for half his life and now has the obligatory missing fingers this seems like a great invention!

The only downside I see is that how are engineers / machinery operators now supposed to identify eachother if they dont all have at least one missing digit

Well at least with this device the engineers and carpenters won't get confused with midleastern bomb makers anymore...
( according to a Denzel Washington movie I watched recently all the bomb makers had missing digits too )

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by DAVID64

I was a sawyer for 15 years before getting placed in construction engineering 7 years ago. During my time as a sawyer i belonged to the safety committee. You would not believe how many cut off fingers i have seen. Now granted the saw that i ran has not just took fingers but compleat lims as well. And even 2 deaths. now i never seen the deaths but i got reports when they did happen. This idea sounds like it should be very easy to implement into a standard saw. I am very happy about this invention. Almost makes me hard :-) i know for the saw that i did run it was not just the blades that could take you but other things as well. I could see this electrical current doing a lot of good.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sagitaris

Either the blade retracts, the bench is raised, or a magnetic field is used to freeze the rotation of the saw. Perhaps they could attach some of those small high energy magnets onto some clamps and the saw. Under normal use, they never affect each other. The minute the trigger is pressed, the clamp moves in and the magnets lock onto each other.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 07:32 PM
link   
That's awesome. A buddy's uncle had a flashback from an acid trip, he thought his fingers were growing and decided to cut them off. I think he would have benefited from this invention.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 07:34 AM
link   
Reading the thread title I thought it might be a special lubricant applied to your hands or the blade. Not quite what I was hoping I thought sensors and guards were common place with industrial machinery?

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by votan
reply to post by DAVID64

The only problem i see with this is how many times does it get triggered for no apparent reason other than it got tricked. it is not like it knows the difference between a frank and finger.

I could see a lot of down time cuz of this. who knows. Clever invention though.

I had the same concerns. I sweat like a pig and I could see my sweat getting on the wood or blade and going thru a lot of saws. It is a brilliant idea.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 10:32 AM
link   
This guy just became a very rich man and has saved many painful visits to the ER. OSHA should make these mandatory on all large saws being used by Businesses. Most would happily pay that price to save their workers fingers. Most would buy them just to get a discount on their Workers Comp insurance.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 11:57 AM
link   
but does your finger have to be wet and salty?
I usually wear gloves or if not the sawdust etc makes my hands dry?

he had his in a bucket of solution before "hand"

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 02:04 PM
link   
i love people who do this kind of thing to prove their invention, like the kevlar

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 02:14 PM
link   
During his test phase, he had the finger on the side, instead of front of the blade, if it was in front, it would at least leave a small cut like it did to the sausage.

But it still a good invention, if you decide to use it without gloves.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 06:21 PM
link   
I don't care how well something like that works I don't think I could ever trust it to work.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by ashtonhz8907
I don't care how well something like that works I don't think I could ever trust it to work.
Agree however its some protection vs no protection or chances of saving someone's limbs/fingers.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by DAVID64

Unfotunately the movie Arthur with Russell Brand is pretty stupid, but there is a scene with this technology in it. Jennifer Garner's dad in the movie makes Russell Brand stick his tongue on this blade....yeah I know it's a movie but there is a scene about this in it also.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join