It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Okay, so the SHTF, and the Raiders come, so now what?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 02:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by proteus33
reply to post by Gazrok

the best way to avoid raiders is to not being noticed at all . your camp needs to be completely invisible to out siders. do not build near roads or open fields hide cyour tracks and so foorth if they don't know you there you won't get raided

I'ma going to agree with you...but I think his camp is an established community. Reminds me of the street I grew up on in TN...if you don't belong, you are royally F'd.

People will have to stick together in any SHTF or another acronym. Those people who stick together won't have many border issues. They'll be the ones who establish new towns and cities. They'll stick together just cause.

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by setibuddies

That's pretty much exactly what I'm talking about.

Ten to one Whiskey and tobacco would become the medium of exchange, more than gold or ammunition or even food. Whiskey and tobacco takes some modicum of civilization to produce, especially booze. So rather than attacking a larger secure city-state, the bandits would probably be a lot more amenable once they knew they could trade goods for whiskey, and had found a whiskey supply that wouldn't dry up.

Eventually. that's how raiders would be tamed, by whiskey; they'd trade scavenged pharma, parts, anything a settlement couldn't make on their own that was portable enough to carry. Imho.

Yep, and that's why tobacco prep and distilling alcohol would be two of our trade items. Being hidden and/or armed to the teeth is great and all, but I have to think the key to long term survival (and even prospering) would lie in being a place where trade could happen. A place the raiders could come to and trade their surplus items for things they needed (and most importantly, a place they know they could return to without risk, and get a steady supply of such items). The idea isn't without it's risks, but that's where the armed to the teeth strategy comes in.

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 09:18 AM
link   
It seems lime very post on this board is focused on Guns or how big and many guns you have. Or how to defend against guns.

Yeah all well and good IM applying for a firearms licence so I can get a hunting rifle.

But the idea that gun are the best thing to protect you in a disaster lol

You can have mini gun on a turret ontop of your house but if a group of bandits want that food you and your family stashed away they will still kill you still and rape you wife and kids and steal the food anyway. Hell the bigger the guns you got the more the bandits will want in.

The best way in my opinion to protect you is forming a band yourself. Learn as useful skill that will be hard to come by make yourself useful. That what me and 6 friends have done. Yeah arm yourselves but don't think you can hold a house or known place with just a few of you no matter how big a stash of guns and ammo you have. If you really want to hold your home in my opinion you got 3 options:
1) let the bandits in without resistance and hope they don't kill you after they take there stuff.
2 Learn a skill which you can provide to bandits
3) Organise a local neighbourhood militia.

My plan though is to ditch my home and meet up with my friends in a secret location.
We each have large rucksacks stuffed with 1 weeks food , weapons, hunting equipment, clothing, medication (not the pansy over the counter stuff). We also each have picked a specialities to focus on.
For me IM the team medic, someone else is a radio operator, another in charge of camping gear ect.

We are also planning on setting up secret food dumps in random places too so we can stash food and medication more safely. Our defence will rely of quickly moving form place to place. Luckily water in my area is not much of a problem.

I think all those focuses on buying the biggest badist guns will be the first to die.

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by crazyewok

No matter how you slice it, not having guns in a SHTF situation is going to leave you a victim.... Biggest or baddest guns? Doesn't matter....just that it is a gun and will kill.

2) Learn a skill which you can provide to bandits
3) Organise a local neighbourhood militia.

Pretty much the hallmarks of my plan. But, add this one.... 1) The ability to provide renewable resources (that will eventually run out in raiding). (fruits, veggies, water, etc.)

Say you're a raider. You do a raid because you're running out of food and water, but end up finding a bunch of drugs that you don't know uses for, and you find ammo but for different weapons than you have, etc.

You find my place. You could try to raid it, losing men in the process. Or, you see the signs dictating the terms for trade. You learn you can trade in the excess things you don't need from the raids, for things you do. One of your team got a minor shot, and my place has a medic that can treat, etc. Which is really in your best interest, short term gain from the raid, or long term supply station?

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

I think my plan is similar to yous though my team would most likely live in hiding coming in to trade stuff.

I have the knowledge and equipment to make a variety of drugs both recreational and Medicinal.

Some Anti biotics could I imagnine fetch a very very high price. I also have a engineer who specilises in cars on my team im guessing he could be usefully provided I can keep him alive (he is Type I diabetic).

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Six weeks of bad football?

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join