Mysterious copper plates baffle archaeologists

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by ChuckNasty

My thoughts exactly. Looks what you'd have in a shield. The wooden shield around just has rotten off. Also shields would be found in graves of soldiers.
edit on 9/5/2013 by PsykoOps because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 01:01 PM
link   
They look to me to be Phiales, and being copper would be easily smashed flat. If this is the case then the view we have here would be the underside. Phiales would have been used to hold ritual oils or liquids and would have had a bulbous part in the center of the bowl that would be called the "bellybutton". The article states that these were found outside the graves so I could see them being used as part of the burial ceremony by the living as opposed to being part of the burial cache.

My attempt at uploading an image is for some reason not happening, i'll post one as soon as I can get a stable connection going.

Penny

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 04:19 PM
link   
I can see them being something like shield bosses as they're not that well done so they are designed to be things in use for warfare so looks are secondary and given the time period round shields would of been the popular thing

Is there any securing holes around the edge?

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 04:50 PM
link   
The OP mentions robbed graves and it appears there could have been something in the middle as a decoration that was removed leaving the holes. Maybe whatever was in the center was valuable and the copper was not so much, like gold or silver or precious stones.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Cymbals seams to fit the object very well.
Candle holders would be a close second or even a guard on some type of weapon
How about a cover or a shield for a staff, that would explain the slot in the center.
So many could Be's it boggles the mind.
edit on 9-5-2013 by grayghost because: spelling

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 05:34 PM
link   
They look like "buddhist cymbals".
Google it and see.
use'd for religious ceremonies.
web site with lots of pic's

edit on 9-5-2013 by buddha because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Look like hub caps for the Pharoahs tricked out chariot.

Kinda makes sense. Wouldn't want someone shoving a spear in your spokes.
edit on 9-5-2013 by ohioriver because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 06:24 PM
link   
It looks like the one on the top right differs slightly from the others as it appears smoother and more defined. Also the centre hole looks more distinct and better proportioned. Perhaps it’s older than the others.
Neat find all the same.

On a not very serious note......Something from an ancient Byzantium rock band……. Bet that was a weird mosh pit.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Dang, even back in Biblical times folks put awesome hubcaps on their rides!

They see me rollin' ... they hatin' ...

edit on 9-5-2013 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Starwise
reply to post by elevenaugust

They look like wheels.
With the holes in the center I could see that they could be fastened onto something like a wagon or similar? It would be so small though..
edit on 9-5-2013 by Starwise because: (no reason given)

Or to roll the coffins/sarcophagi into position then just left there (probably by a forgetful worker cuz it looks like they'd be re-usable)...? Not sure of the size though. Does it say how big they are.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 09:08 PM
link   

20 cm in diameter

Like 8" right...not wheels
At that size they could still be a necklace when stung on something would cover the chest.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 11:59 PM
link   

These look like clappers still used in India in temples. These are used in conjunction with chanting. The hole in the center is for a cotton rope that has a knot on one side to hold the clapper, and the rope is held by a man who is using it on the other (looped around the hand).

You can call it a type of musical instrument used in temple.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 01:25 AM
link   
reply to post by mikegrouchy

I think you nailed it. Sun Dials. The clock of the ancient world. The notches and dots around the edge are for marking time, probably for work shifts or how long meat is in the oven...

who knows.

But definitely sundials.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 01:45 AM
link   
I will process those images with angular filming perhaps I can uncover a marking or inscription

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 06:35 AM
link   
What would be wild is if these disks somehow had sand fall onto them making a sort of hissing sound to scare those that might loot the graves. Despite the markings, I find it highly probable that these copper disks were made for the purpose of generating sound.

The only other idea that I have is that they are some sort of offering dishes that were designed to allow wine or other liquid to flow perhaps into the grave.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 06:38 AM
link   
reply to post by buddha

A most excellent suggestion, a star for you.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 06:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by buddha
Google it and see.

Agreed

Very similar in my opinion

so ill star you too

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 06:58 AM
link   
Clearly they are showing the inside of said object. Not the side that would have been shown or seen. Why is that? Let me see the front please.

You can see that the nail marks appear to be done to "pop" on the other side. Likely for a patern, a star of sorts however from the ack incomplete. Or so it appears. I'd almost imagine perhaps an image on the other side specifically where there are no nail marks with a design (halo like) going around the image. You can see holes punched through the center I suppose to hang or connect to something else.

Personally I think the context is lost and we are being shown the wrong side. The back as apposed to the front. Which us why it looks "messy" like a sweater or rug on the backside.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 07:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by maryhinge

Originally posted by buddha
Google it and see.

Agreed

Very similar in my opinion

so ill star you too

Yes, yes I can imagine the front looking very similar. Nice find!

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Back in the days when that structure was constructed men used swords, arrows, spears and sticks for weapons and shields for protection. I'm sure these had something to do with at least being a component of hand held shields.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join