It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Karzai: Afghanistan Ready to Let U.S. Have 9 Bases

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Wow....and here I thought the war was ending and we were leaving?? Wait! We are leaving! ...no we're not. ..Yes we are!

Here, read and decide yourself. I'm still hung up on the 9 bases part when we're sequestering ourselves right out of a properly trained military force at the moment.

KABUL, Afghanistan) — Afghan President Hamid Karzai says he is ready to let the U.S. have nine bases in the country after the 2014 combat troop pullout, but wants Washington’s “security and economic guarantees” first.

Speaking at a ceremony on Thursday at Kabul University, Karzai said Afghanistan is ready to sign a partnership agreement to that effect.

So when 'ol Joe said this....

There was a *GIANT* footnote and explanation he simply forgot to mention. How silly of him. An honest oversight, I'm sure...right?

So... You don't figure the eagerness to sign agreements for 9 bases has ANYTHING to do with.....

Karzai: CIA promises to continue cash payments

Do ya? Nawww... I'm just getting cynical. I'm sure bags of cash have nothing at all to do with such a thing and the flow of cash into his private office. After all, we always just give foreign leaders literal bundles of cash in unmarked shopping bags and garbage bags. It's just the way international relations are carried out between national leaders, isn't it?

I'll bet those 9 bases are spiffy and shiny though! Say .... Does the Taliban know the war is over next year and all those bases will be full of NON-Combat troops? I sure hope so. They might think to shoot at them or something, otherwise!

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Well I am not seeing the details of the bases so are you sure they aren't just little drone bases or something?

We have 1 if I remember correctly in Pakistan that gets an awful lot of use.

Still on the fence on whether its a good idea or not however, I just don't know enough details yet.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Uh Oh.... I forgot my source on the lead article! Here we go guys.... My bad!

Source for original lead article in OP!

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 08:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Can you name any country since WW2 that the US has had a war with,which today does NOT have a permanent US military presence?

Its how they roll...

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 08:37 AM
link   

I am not too smart on things. I have tried looking up but am not getting straight forth answers.

I never understood why america wants to have so many bases in other countries. And the question I seek an answer for,is....is there any foreign countries that have a base in america?

Peace and love
-nat cat-

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Silcone Synapse

Of course, you're right. This one is a bit more insane than most though. Landlocked, with supply routes through challenging, if not hostile nations ..and in a place "Where Empires go to die" and no outside force in history has seen success, or anything but outright failure to be real about it.

This is just stupid. I think the only reason the Taliban have toned anything down ...to the extent it can be said they have ..is the same reason Al Qaeda in Iraq toned down. If they play dead, we'll leave. Except...no one is leaving, apparently. I wonder how they'll react when they see we mean to be a perm. fixture in Afghanistan on the same level of Germany or Japan?

Something tells me this will end very badly. We're going to have 9 bases, according to this guy, and with Combat troops politically withdrawn right on the pre-set timetable. Yet, the place won't have changed and the fact it's still a combat zone won't have changed. Just the way our nation shows any respect for that fact.

Oh...this definitely isn't going to end well, in my opinion.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 08:43 AM
link   

I guess those millions in bribe money paid off.

Can someone verify this: I was told that if our troops are limited to US bases, even if overseas, that its technically US sovereign land.

If true, I think this is how they get around lying to the American people. Technically, our troops would have "left" Afghanistan...

edit on 9-5-2013 by gladtobehere because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by gladtobehere

I guess those millions in bribe money paid off.

Can someone verify this: I was told that if our troops are limited to US bases, even if overseas, that its technically US sovereign land.

If true, I think this is how they get around lying to the American people. Technically, our troops would have "left" Afghanistan...

edit on 9-5-2013 by gladtobehere because: (no reason given)

It depends.

The Status of Forces Arrangement (SOFA) is what determines jurisdiction over armed forces in a foreign country so it can change depending on the country. Some are considered sovereign and some are not.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Figures.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Anyone who pays attention knew we would never really "leave".

We went in there for a reason, and part of that reason was to gain control of strategic land and preempt a Chinese or other nations foothold in the region.

Gotta keep protecting those poppy fields.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 07:15 AM
link   
Missions to Afghanistan became much easier!

Cheers ladies n gentlemen! Cheers, cheers, cheers! Not long ago have come back from the second duty trip of mine to Afghanistan. So... I'm alive, I'm healthy n safe. Surely the same I wish to every American guy servin these days his service in Afghan. Well, you know I'm here to say that the recent trip appeared to be significantly easier to me than the first one of mine. I'll even say more, servin this time in battle worthy brigade for 3 weeks I spent in burnin deserts I did not even once pull the trigger. New tactics, the commands follow rules! In fact, they finally decided to take the Sunni side and now friendly Taliban groups receive from us shrift information on distribution and movements of Afghani and Pakistani bands takin their cue from the Shiite Iran. Yeah, much easier it is when others do the dirty work for you! Peace n luck people! Cheers!

top topics

join