It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Age-defying: Master key of lifespan found in brain

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 04:53 AM
link   

Know the song ?(Who wants to live forever) well it seems that science has found some gene in the Hypothalamus that can reduce aging or maybe stop aging.

A mechanism that controls aging, counting down to inevitable death, has been identified in the hypothalamus – a part of the brain that controls most of the basic functions of life.

I don't know if when this is really available will be used because the industries will significantly loose many incomes , so my guess is this will never be allowed , or only if labeled with aging diseases

By manipulating this mechanism, researchers have both shortened and lengthened the lifespan of mice.

I can imagine that this one day will be use as the new death sentence in court ( I sentence you too twenty five years off your lifespan )

But would it also in terms of responsibility to the growth of the human population be justified ?
I don't know what I do know is that you hear these stories daily , but in awhile seem the be forgotten and never hear from them again . So just another amazing discovery that will lead to nowhere I guess

Neuroticthough

Nature

Peace

edit on 9-5-2013 by 0bserver1 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 05:50 AM
link   
It always confuses me when people say they wouldn't want to live beyond our current expectancy. I hear it all the time, "just kill me if I live to be 120."

By my thinking, there is no shortage of things to do in this life. How am I supposed to go on a 400 year space cruise and get back to help raise my 15th junior without at least 1,000 years? I think people living indefinitely is totally realistic, and barring accident there are probably a handful of people alive today that will see the year 3,000.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 06:04 AM
link   
I think this is great

Just think of space travel, no biggy if it will take 100 or even a 1000 years to get there.

also look at all the great minds we have had who have died, they did so much in such a short time just think what they could do in 1000 years.

and to keep numbers on Earth down, just say if you live forever you cant have children, so you replace your childs life and then their childs life etc.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 06:56 AM
link   
Old news.
Allready existing threads on it...

SEARCH

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 07:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by PatrickGarrow17
It always confuses me when people say they wouldn't want to live beyond our current expectancy. I hear it all the time, "just kill me if I live to be 120."

By my thinking, there is no shortage of things to do in this life. How am I supposed to go on a 400 year space cruise and get back to help raise my 15th junior without at least 1,000 years? I think people living indefinitely is totally realistic, and barring accident there are probably a handful of people alive today that will see the year 3,000.

400 year space cruises sounds like eternal hell on the worst train of your life, for 400 years.

I find it funny that the only thing in life we do not fight to own, is our own mortality.

It's my death damn it, you'll stop me from having it over my dead body!!!!! oO

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Miccey

I know but not about finding something in the hypothalamus, There are also dozens of threads around curing cancer, You gonna say to all of the new discoveries.. Old news ?

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by winofiend

Originally posted by PatrickGarrow17

400 year space cruises sounds like eternal hell on the worst train of your life, for 400 years.

I find it funny that the only thing in life we do not fight to own, is our own mortality.

It's my death damn it, you'll stop me from having it over my dead body!!!!! oO

Oh for crying out loud..
WHO is saying "You have to take it"..
Its not like they will shove the pill down your throat..
So stop complaining and if you dont like it END IT...

If i want imortality, ITS MY FRIKKIN CHOICE...
Just like its your to die..

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by 0bserver1
reply to post by Miccey

I know but not about finding something in the hypothalamus, There are also dozens of threads around curing cancer, You gonna say to all of the new discoveries.. Old news ?

Uhhhm...
Yes?

What did i win

FYI
Heres another on that verry same subject:

ATS THREAD ABOUT Hyp
edit on 2013/5/9 by Miccey because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Miccey

Damn your right ... didn't find anything about it .. I guess you won the ATS search Award... And that is A Blue Star to say precisely .. Congratulations

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 02:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by 0bserver1
reply to post by Miccey

Damn your right ... didn't find anything about it .. I guess you won the ATS search Award... And that is A Blue Star to say precisely .. Congratulations

YAY..

OT: I normaly dont give a fr about double threads.
But i AM in the other aswell, thats how i new..
And i think its awsome news either way..
edit on 2013/5/10 by Miccey because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 02:36 AM
link   
I don't know, is humanity ready for immortality? I'm all for a long life, buy living forever? I just don't think "I" can do it, but I would'nt mind living a good 1000's years, but thats the cut off.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Totally awesome subject.Now we're one step closer to becomming Timelords

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 03:13 AM
link   
There is also research being done on a synthetic variant of resveratrol (found in red wine, can also be purchased as a supplement) and believe they've found the right compound to double lifespan whilst keeping you youthful for the better part. They have been successful in mice and now moving onto human trials. If we combined this with the hypothalumus discovery it could indeed be possible to live 500+ years.

There is a type of jellyfish which never dies, can actually revert back to its youthful state. So it's theoretically possible to never die. However, many people want to die for whatever reason which is why there's a massive debate on euthanasia. Personally I would like to stick around a bit longer provided I can stay youthful for the most part. We are at an exciting time technologically speaking. But like OP says this will probably be buried and forgotten about.

The concept does raise some interesting questions and I wonder if you would become extremely wise and zen-like or be plagued by psychological issues and become an emotional trainwreck.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 04:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Eonnn

Probably both, wise an emotional wreck. Can you imagine knowing alot of knowledge, but going through the pain of loss from the woman you love? That would be literal living hell...an out living your own kids....
Like I said, 1000 yrs tops.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 04:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Arnie123
reply to post by Eonnn

Probably both, wise an emotional wreck. Can you imagine knowing alot of knowledge, but going through the pain of loss from the woman you love? That would be literal living hell...an out living your own kids....

As i said before and in other threads...
Why would anyone die...??
Why would THEY die before you??

Please answer me this.

I mean YOU are NOT the only one to live that long.
Its NOT privi to you. Everyone can have this...
edit on 2013/5/11 by Miccey because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 05:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Miccey

reply to post by Eonnn

As i said before and in other threads...
Why would anyone die...??
Why would THEY die before you??

Please answer me this.

I mean YOU are NOT the only one to live that long.
Its NOT privi to you. Everyone can have this...
edit on 2013/5/11 by Miccey because: (no reason given)

I see where you are going with this. My kids can live forever too. Me an my immortal family.
But what would that reduce us to? After you had all the sweets there are, all the rides, all the luxury of wealth, all the women....what next? Hmmm?
In an invincible mind set, we would be extremely bored.
But we are not invincible though huh? Just living....forever.
People get bored, way too bored after a long while. IMHO, people will off themselves after a couple hundred thousand years.
"Why would anybody want to die?"
I really can't honestly answer that question, I can only speculate that people would eventually reach a tipping point to where they would welcome death.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 06:12 AM
link   

I see where you are going with this. My kids can live forever too. Me an my immortal family.
But what would that reduce us to? After you had all the sweets there are, all the rides, all the luxury of wealth, all the women....what next? Hmmm?
In an invincible mind set, we would be extremely bored.

How could you ever be BORED?

Seriously?

There is just so much to know, and so much to do. I'd think 1000 years might not be enough. Looking at current stats, if you didn't age, you'd live to be maybe 400 years old before you died of an accident, worse if you were into crazy things such as myself.

Jumping out of good airplanes, diving and getting into the military again (what sort of general could you be with 1000 years of experience?) would shorten that. Would I be Cincinnatus writ large? Or would I be Benedict of Amber?

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 06:52 AM
link   
Ahh whats the point...
Its like that "priestfather" in PAUL...
It wouldnt even go in if you put it
in by force...

YOUR CHOICE..
MY CHOICE..
THIER CHOICE..

No one is MAKING you take it...

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 06:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Bedlam

Sure, I don't dispute that one bit, there is sooo much to do.
But one can only speculate that after a long while, you'll get bored.
I know I would.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 07:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Miccey
Ahh whats the point...
Its like that "priestfather" in PAUL...
It wouldnt even go in if you put it
in by force...

YOUR CHOICE..
MY CHOICE..
THIER CHOICE..

No one is MAKING you take it...

I know that already. So, you would take that huh? You probably would laugh at my grave too....

top topics

<<   2 >>

join