It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

83yo Nun gets life in prison for break into TN nuke plant that made world's 1st Atom bomb

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 04:22 AM
link   
www.usatoday.com...

(AP) 83-year-old nun and two fellow protesters convicted Wednesday of interfering with national security when they broke into the primary storehouse for bomb-grade uranium in the U.S. It took the jury about 2 ½ hours to find the three protesters guilty of a charge of interfering with national security and a second charge of damaging federal property. The trio spent two hours inside the complex, which has had a hand in making, maintaining or dismantling parts of every nuclear weapon in the country's arsenal.

How do 3 persons manage to break into THE primary US storehouse of bomb-making Uranium, AND get 2 hours to mosey around and do as they please. I don't hear terror plot/charges in this convinction, and wonder if it had not been a nun on a mission of peace but say, and imam on a mission of peace, who spent 2 hours in the plant, how would the Fed, officials, and MSM portray it? Anyhoos, what's more disturbing is some granny of whatever background or cause gained access & tresspass for some 2 hrs without being intercepted - what if they blew the whole plant up?
Surely those who gained access weren't responsible for the lax/breach in security, were they? And thus what sentence did the person(s) who negligently enabled breach, get?

More domestic, American citizens becoming enemies of the POlice state, threats to national security and locked away to keep the peace.. or is it, to keep the American War machine pumping out nukes & increasingly global devastation?

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 04:51 AM
link   
Although an 83 year old nun sneaking anywhere especially a US nuclear facility is completely unbelievable, some things are not as hard as the the MSM would want you to believe. Its stories like this that make me wonder how an attack on the US doesn't happen as frequently as i would think with all the die hard radicals in this world. Like not promoting violence on a grand scale, or on any scale for that matter, but orchestrating an attack is a fairly easy thing to get away with if ur not retarded. Idk all i do know is that as the population rises resulting inevitably in more disobedience to the governing state (or one of the ever increasing foreign enemies) that there will be more crazies out there making attacks or just something retarded like the above which will cause the police state to crack down and thus keep that war machine pumping because suppressing threats from within is gonna take a lot of guns, suppressing threats from without is gonna take a lot of bombs.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 05:29 AM
link   
I think your thread title is a little inflammatory, since I can't find anywhere in your provided links that discusses the sentencing hearing, It doesn't seem like they've been sentenced yet.

Although if your point is that if they give her the max possible, 20 years, at her age that probably would be a life sentence.

Think however that we still have time, and perhaps she will be given a slap on the wrist. The prosecution suffered from overreach, hopefully sentencing wont follow suit.

A-H.E.M. (formerly M.E.H.)

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Ah well she wont be in there long

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 08:18 AM
link   

More domestic, American citizens becoming enemies of the POlice state, threats to national security and locked away to keep the peace

This is really unbelievable. People break into a place that deals with nuclear material and the OP is actually blaming the police state for harassing them?

Should they just left them alone or ask them nicely to vacate the premises?

I would put these people to death for treason. Either that or give them lobotomy's for being so stupid and a danger to society.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Yep the letter agencies including DHS ensure anything but homeland security.. they have on occasion, even admitted to plotting multiple terror events:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

and 17 of 20 major terror attacks were false flags created by FBI itself www.abovetopsecret.com...

All in all, this elder nun's plight for PEACE by drawing awareness to US's long term, ongoing, hypocritical, somewhat exponential nuclear proliferation costs her life in prison and yet the public may focus on just that - her civil penalty - that what she has highlighted for America through the media, in her silver years of some would say, in service to God, or in any event, world peace!

Originally posted by Empyreal
I think your thread title is a little inflammatory, since I can't find anywhere in your provided links that discusses the sentencing hearing, It doesn't seem like they've been sentenced yet.

Although if your point is that if they give her the max possible, 20 years, at her age that probably would be a life sentence.
=

Thanks for your thoughts! I dont see any big discussion on the particular sentence, as 20 years is life in prison for an 83yo.

Figures semantics would be applied to the first half, than the second (TN nuke plant that made world's 1st Atom bomb).

Title clearly states life in prison, NOT life sentence. So much for discussing her... CAUSE.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 01:12 PM
link   
I cant believe they had 2 hours to walk around, That gives anyone the chance to destroy a lot of people, just by turning the wrong valve, increasing the temp, and Bamb nuclear meltdown. Scary. Some places just aren't meant for the protester, just because they dont understand the mechanics of what they are messing with.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Glassbender777

from what I recall reading on this,they never had access to anything.They got to a point where they could not go any farther,due to a brick wall or whatever.They cut a couple of chain link fences,went as far as they could,then painted grafitti . It wasn't an intent to due real damage,or destroy anything besides the fence.
My issue is,if they had 2 hours inside a semi secure perimeter,what was supposed to be SECURE,what could a true terrorist have done? Someone has egg,or more,on they're face.They will throw the book at them,just as an example,sad to say.And I'm sure some head of a dept got a promotion too.S**t floats to the top

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Talk about engaging in hyperbole. The OP's thread title is utter BS.

As has been pointed out, a sentence has not yet been passed.

To claim that, because of her age of 83, a jail sentence will be a life sentence is silly. One could argue on that basis that a jail sentence for anyone is potentially a life sentence given that it is possible for anyone to fall ill and die during incarceration.

Note that the article mentions in its last sentence that the stiffest sentence ever meted out for similar actions has been less than a year in prison. If the nun was to receive such a sentence and subsequently died while in prison, in all likelihood she would have died at roughly that time anyway.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by blkcwbyhat

A whole lot more than just egg on someone's face.

The ramifications of the high-profile security incident have been many. Top executives were removed from their jobs and/or forced to retire, and longtime security contractor WSI-Oak Ridge (also known as Wackenhut and G4S Government Solutions) had its Y-12 contract terminated and later lost a bid to retain another DOE security contract in Oak Ridge.
knoxnews.com

Also the contractor (B&W Y-12) that subbed the security out to WSI lost their bid to continue management of the complex (to the tune of $22 billion). That decision is currently being protested so they might have control for a while yet.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by OneisOne

yes,I do recall many guys got fired,at least.Never heard much after the original incident tho.You and I both know that they will probably go on to be an "outside consultant" or some such. I was an outside contractor for General Motors,saw so many idiots go way up the ladder...

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 10:37 AM
link   
They never had access to anything vital, dangerous or otherwise "bad". The complex in question has absolutely horrid outer protection but it gets better the closer you get. Its pretty much surrounded by acres of woods on 2 or 3 sides and is a lot to patrol.

Aside from the fact that these three did do this, the really ironic thing was the hole in the fence didn't get fixed until about 3 months ago, they just folded the wire back over it.

This type of stuff gets so commonplace around here its hardly news worthy anymore. Every year there are two or three who try to "cross the line" or do something rebellious at the plant.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Hopechest

I think you are missing the point. The point is that there should be no way in hell this was allowed to happen in the first place. I mean geeze, we are talking about a total lack of security in what should be one of the most secure buildings in the country!

Unacceptable breech of security. No excuse for it.
And it was only yesterday that we heard of 17 officers being relieved of their authority to handle nuclear codes at Minot Air Force base. Citing lax security amongst other things.

To make this simple, if there is a place that handles nuclear warheads, that place should be su ject to the most stringent of security measures. Period. No excuse for an 80 year old woman being able to break in. Heads will roll for this. Take it to the bank.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hopechest

More domestic, American citizens becoming enemies of the POlice state, threats to national security and locked away to keep the peace

This is really unbelievable. People break into a place that deals with nuclear material and the OP is actually blaming the police state for harassing them?

Should they just left them alone or ask them nicely to vacate the premises?

I would put these people to death for treason. Either that or give them lobotomy's for being so stupid and a danger to society.
would it not be better to punish the idiots that are supposed to be looking after the security of these kind of places.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Shouldn't this just be treated like any other B&E?

Bad lawyers.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by blkcwbyhat
reply to post by Glassbender777

from what I recall reading on this,they never had access to anything.They got to a point where they could not go any farther,due to a brick wall or whatever.They cut a couple of chain link fences,went as far as they could,then painted grafitti . It wasn't an intent to due real damage,or destroy anything besides the fence.
My issue is,if they had 2 hours inside a semi secure perimeter,what was supposed to be SECURE,what could a true terrorist have done? Someone has egg,or more,on they're face.They will throw the book at them,just as an example,sad to say.And I'm sure some head of a dept got a promotion too.S**t floats to the top

It's clearly a security breach but how much?

The buildings with actual nuclear materials are far, far, far more protected. There are many layers. Many fences. Then the building, with many layers and access controls inside. A "true terrorist" would surely have been caught inside as soon as they attempted any greater breach.

The actual threat to security from these nuns was minimal.

I used to work at Y-12, but on the unclassified basic research side outside the fence surrounding the protected area.
edit on 13-5-2013 by mbkennel because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Can we get the story right first. The Nun and her two fellow protestors in their 60's hopped a fence and spent 2 hrs covering ground to get to the building. They were never inside the building. They then crawled up on it and hung a banner for peace not nukes.

They tresspassed but did not break and enter.

Just setting the record straight.

This story broke on GLP last summer.

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Glassbender777
I cant believe they had 2 hours to walk around, That gives anyone the chance to destroy a lot of people, just by turning the wrong valve, increasing the temp, and Bamb nuclear meltdown. Scary. Some places just aren't meant for the protester, just because they dont understand the mechanics of what they are messing with.

No it didn't. Despite the substantial incompetence and lapses, there was no remote danger to nuclear materials.

They didn't get inside any building, merely ordinary Home-Depot level fences. They were outside.

The buildings are very very very protected.

They were originally charged with misdemeanors, and given their obviously harmless intent, that is what they should be tried on.

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Nothing like leaving the cat out of the bag and telling terrorists how to get raw materials to increase the destructiveness of their bombs.

top topics

join