Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Free Syrian Army rebels defect to Islamist group Jabhat al-Nusra

page: 1

join

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 11:47 PM
link   
Remember when one, of the many, rebel groups declared its allegiance to Al Qaeda?

Syria crisis: Al-Nusra pledges allegiance to al-Qaeda | BBC

Good news though, the other rebel groups at that time opposed Al Nursa's decision to support terrorist.

Syrian rebels slam al-Nusra over Qaeda pledge

Too bad it didn't long for their minds to be changed,

Free Syrian Army rebels defect to Islamist group Jabhat al-Nusra

The well-resourced organisation, which is linked to al-Qaida, is luring many anti-Assad fighters away, say brigade commanders

With all the Syria news as of late this will only makes things worse. How long before Israel targets these terrorists who are so close to their border?

edit on 8-5-2013 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 12:25 AM
link   
They were all terrorists to begin with. I know many who are anti Assad but they will fight and die for the government before letting these crazy extremists seize power. The videos are all over youtube, it's not like they even try to hide their actions. They can all give themselves whatever name they wish, but it doesn't change the fact that they are all funded from abroad and in no way care about the Syrian people.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 01:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Swills

Man, yet ANOTHER "terrorist" group?

Well, now that the US is openly supporting Al-CIAeda, I guess we can all be friends now?

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 05:11 AM
link   
FSA fighters defecting to Al-Nusra is not something new, I discussed it on the thread I created on the group (that I really need to update).

Anyway, this a huge problem for everyone involved in Syria particularly American whose foreign policy regarding Syria has been designed to attempt to offset a radical Islamist takeover of the failing state. The growth of Al-Nusra is at odds with this objective which may be one of the reasons that the Americans have designated it as an official “foreign terrorist organisation”. The origins of Al-Nusra clearly show that this group is basically an offshoot of Al-Qa’ida in Iraq and its proving to be a thorn in the side of the Americans, the defection of FSA members to Al-Nusra and their fierce reputation amongst rebel groups only makes matters worse. The whole thing is turning into a mess for the Americans, lots of people are calling Syria Obamas biggest foreign policy blunder and I for one would agree, he has been to unsure and slow to react to events.

Al-Nusra and the other terrorist groups operating in Syria are only going to get bigger and eventually take over the state unless there is some serious international intervention, which doesn’t seem likely

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Canadianpride420

Oh I definitely agree there's a butt ton of terrorists posing as rebels in Syria but there are also rebel groups who are against Assad's govt. The real problem are the terrorists and they should be dealt with because they are killing everyone from govt employes & buildings to blowing up universities. If people think Assad was bad just wait until NATO/Al Qaeda topple him and bring in the Muslim Brotherhood to rule the lands with Sharia Law.

Assad will look like an angel compared to whats to come.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by gladtobehere

The terrorists are all over the place but most prevalent in the Middle East since that is home base of operations. There are many terrorists groups in Syria and have been there since day 1, well before day 1. They mostly attack government people and buildings but they also target civilians. They used chemicals recently, not Assad. We can watch a video on Youtube of terrorist rebels testing chemical weapons on rabbits while threatening to use it against the population.

If Assad fails, and he will, pure hell just may reign in Syria. There are plenty of Syrians who oppose Assad but also oppose these so called rebels.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by OtherSideOfTheCoin

I dunno if its new or not and it was only just recently Al-Nusra declared their allegiance but its highly likely they've been in cahoots with Al Qaeda and the rest of ilk for a long time now. Hell, the terrorists groups have always been there and even help fund and train some of the up and coming rebels at the start of this civil war. Last year I remember reading an article about the actual Syrian rebels being worried that Al Qaeda has taken over their cause and France officially recognized the Syrian opposition as the legitimate representative of the Syrian people back in November meanwhile the US has sent over 100 million officially and god knows what unofficially. They've always claimed to have always supported the rebels through non lethal non military means to present date but they are also complete liars and I don't trust them as far as I can throw em!

And behind the scenes you know the Muslim Brotherhood is also backing this, funding that, arming them, just waiting to take over, kinda like in Libya. Hell, the MB is officially off the US terrorist list thanks to Obama and has received billions of dollars along with military equipment like tanks and jets.

Clearly we have the smartest people leading our country...... or perhaps the most corrupt, immoral, unethical, and evil people?

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 12:08 AM
link   
Syrian rebels giving the Nazi salutes.

new topics

top topics

join