It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Eglin receives first Block 2A F-35

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 10:23 PM
link   
The 33rd Fighter Wing at Eglin AFB received their first F-35 equipped with Block 2A software on May 6th. A second aircraft is scheduled to arrive later this month.

The Block 2A software allows the use of all six of the DAS cameras for the first time. They still can't display them on the helmet, but they will finally have use of all six cameras. It also gives them a much needed weather radar that will allow them to avoid the thunderstorms that frequent the area much easier.

The US Air Force's 33rd Fighter Wing at Eglin AFB, Florida, received its first Block 2A configuration Lockheed Martin F-35A on 6 May. Another similarly configured aircraft is scheduled to arrive at the base later in the month.

This aircraft called, AF-25, is equipped with an initial version of the Block 2A configuration, but Eglin AFB will receive aircraft with a more advanced version of the software package later in the year, says Lt Col Lee Kloos, commander of the wing's 58th Fighter Squadron.

The squadron will receive the last of its 24 primary authorized aircraft and two backup aircraft by February 2014. Around that same time, the unit will start helping prepare the USAF's second training unit at Luke AFB, Arizona, which is expected to start receiving F-35As in January 2014, gear up to start training operations.

www.flightglobal.com...

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 11:44 PM
link   
So these ones actually are combat ready this time?
Amazing aircraft though with the whole vertical takeoff, I bet you Israel can't wait to get their hands on these!

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Thanks for the heads up Zaph
If you know any pilots who are training up to these aircraft from older crates please get a review of the aircraft from the jockeys themselves if possible to pass on......
I await the real test of these machines....by those who will be flying them.......

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 02:11 AM
link   
How exciting... I can't wait to see what the pilots think of them!! What aircraft are they replacing in the USAF?? I think I heard somewhere F-15 and A-10 but I might be making that up

I know if the UK they're replacing the Harrier, I'm not sure how I feel about that, the Harrier is practically a national treasure and now it's gone

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 02:35 AM
link   
The program is slowly but surely getting to where it should be...

top topics

join