It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How To Stop That Pesky Gag Reflex!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 06:45 PM
link   
So I ran across this on the net today and gave it a try to my surprise it worked! Make your left hand in to a fist with the thumb on the inside and squeeze the thumb. Take your right hand and jam a finger down your throat no gag reflex! This blew me away that it worked and I started thinking about how this can come in handy. The Dentist is a gaggy place where this would be useful. I have a son who gags every time he brushes his teeth and he hates to do it. Not now!! Then theres ahem other ways that i wont discuss in mixed company lol! Hope you all get a kick out of this and some use too!

Ive tried to find why this works but can not find any thing. Im guessing it has something to do with pressure points or something.

instinctmagazine.com...

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Nice, I am posting this article to all of my friends of FB

If you open your mouth and breathe through it with a normal clenched fist then switch to where your thumb is on the inside you can feel a subtle difference in the tension behind your tonsils.
edit on 8-5-2013 by kimish because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 07:00 PM
link   

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by kimish

I posted it on my facebook as well but for some reason everyone thought i was trying to get them to puke on themselves and wouldnt try it! lol

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 07:04 PM
link   
This will be interesting to try when I brush my tongue in the shower each morning. I'm pretty sure each morning my girlfriend thinks I'm hacking up a hairball in the shower.

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by MystikMushroom

Im curious if it would work for something like a slight sea or car sickness. If it does we could make millions with a thumb squeezer!!

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 07:06 PM
link   

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 07:12 PM
link   
What are yis like !
Anyway the gagging reflex is when you are brushing your tongue mainly at the back, not your fecking teeth. Besides, gagging is a good way to get rid of all the old gunk residing in your respiratory tracts...and it makes your eyeballs bigger

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by smurfy

My son has a super sensitive gag reflex. Hes ok brushing his front teeth but as soon as he goes to the side ones hes gagging. Its gotten better when he was younger he would gag on food all the time. Some people just have a more sensitive reflex.

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 07:38 PM
link   

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by MystikMushroom
This will be interesting to try when I brush my tongue in the shower each morning. I'm pretty sure each morning my girlfriend thinks I'm hacking up a hairball in the shower.

Well it's 8:40am and in this thread already I've imagined people standing in contorted positions with a thumb squashed in their hands, one person trying to sneak tricks on his wife (dirty bugger lol) and now you standing in the shower, brushing your tongue, gagging under the shower head.

And I'm about to go sit in a room with a handful of people for the next 6 hours and discuss motorbikes, guitars and music, and welfare support work.

it's one of those days to be sure... Oo

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by jrkelly77
reply to post by smurfy

My son has a super sensitive gag reflex. Hes ok brushing his front teeth but as soon as he goes to the side ones hes gagging. Its gotten better when he was younger he would gag on food all the time. Some people just have a more sensitive reflex.

The link below might give some insight. Copy and paste into your browser, then close up the gap between HTTP: and the rest of the link.

http: //www.mayoclinic.com/health/difficulty-swallowing/DS00523/DSECTION=causes

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by smurfy

Thanks for the link but its nothing major he just has a large uvula which makes him gag easy. Isnt that just an awesome dirty sounding word for the hangy bob in the back of your mouth lol.

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

Please PM me about what job you have! It sounds flipping awesome! (I'm in Melbourne.... Desperate for some work)

On the main topic, I shall remain completely silent and say nothing on the grounds that I may be judged..

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Attention please

Vulgar innuendo will not be tolerated

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 03:53 AM
link   
This doesn't work for me for some reason.
Ill have to have my gi... crap didn't see that warning.
edit on 9-5-2013 by HaraNarada because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 06:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by HaraNarada
This doesn't work for me for some reason.
Ill have to have my gi... crap didn't see that warning.
edit on 9-5-2013 by HaraNarada because: (no reason given)

I think this thread will be locked away in peoples head for a while, it's something cool to try out. But the Mods definitely killed the thread very fast!

Although, their position on this is very understandable I have to say. But this tasty morsel of information would be better discussed down at the pub methinks!

I can't even use the wow smiley! - congrats OP on the most un-repliable thread this week!

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Ive been laughing my butt off sense I posted it. Ive never had so many killed comments on the first page

Also would like to point out im a woman and that was the first place my mind went to lol!

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by jrkelly77

Right?! I'm glad I wasn't the only one. I figured I would inject some humor into it, but apparently this is a PG 13 forum...considering all the sensitive issues open for discussion, I suppose it shouldn't be a surprise that a purely oblique suggestion would instantly be flagged as inappropriate.

Water under the bridge.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by jrkelly77
reply to post by MystikMushroom

Im curious if it would work for something like a slight sea or car sickness. If it does we could make millions with a thumb squeezer!!

Somebody already made their mint manufacturing SeaBands. One for each wrist, it's an elastic band with a button that you position over your inner-wrist. It's an accupressure point that tones down nausea. They work for me unless I'm in the back section of a plane. Then I just need lots and lots of bags.

new topics

top topics

join