It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Use These Secret NSA Google Search Tips to Become Your Own Spy Agency

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 06:25 PM
link   

“Nothing I am going to describe to you is illegal, nor does it in any way involve accessing unauthorized data,” the authors assert in their book. Instead it “involves using publicly available search engines to access publicly available information that almost certainly was not intended for public distribution.” You know, sort of like the “hacking” for which Andrew “weev” Aurenheimer was recently sentenced to 3.5 years in prison for obtaining publicly accessible information from AT&T’s website.

This is very interesting, and it looks like it should prove to be useful. Especially for those of us who are less than savvy in the ways of obtaining information we would otherwise be unwelcome to acquire.

Apparently the NSA has put together a 650 page guide on how to maximize the use of search engines.

Wired article

Search for confidential Excel spreadsheets the company inadvertently posted online by typing “filetype:xls site:za confidential” into Google, the book notes.

Want to find spreadsheets full of passwords in Russia? Type “filetype:xls site:ru login.” Even on websites written in non-English languages the terms “login,” “userid,” and “password” are generally written in English, the authors helpfully point out.
Misconfigured web servers “that list the contents of directories not intended to be on the web often offer a rich load of information to Google hackers,” the authors write, then offer a command to exploit these vulnerabilities — intitle: “index of” site:kr password.

And here is a link directly to the PDF document.
(Caution: it links to the nsa.gov site) Untangling_the_Web.PDF

Enjoy....

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 06:30 PM
link   
That is all I have to say about that

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Well, so much for the "Secret" part of it.

And not a very well hidden one either...

Peace

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 06:34 PM
link   
You'd be surprised how many government and military servers permit fishing around in their directory structures. I used to come up with really interesting info that way. Although I always let them know they had a problem.

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 07:09 PM
link   
*squints*

nsa.gov website? Nice try guys....

Actually, there really is a TON of info out there if you know where to look, and not on some shady sites either. Lots of government agencies have tons of records publicly available, but don't advertise them.

I browse the health department inspections on restaurants I frequent. That's just one small example of info you'd never think to look for.

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 07:15 PM
link   
been around forever....

en.wikipedia.org...

there are other tutorial sites out there that tell you how to do some fun stuff too.. i used to find the 'thankyou.html' pages for ebooks that were for sale (the download page) resulting in me telling admin to block crawlers

edit on 8-5-2013 by oniraug because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Oh My God!!!!

I just learned that yahoo are great for shopping and google is better for searching.

That sneaky NSA. What sort of criminal minds they have...

Oo

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Well, thanks for letting the cat out of the bag. These types of fancy searches can be the difference between success and utter failure in the corporate world. I remember we used to have to pitch the top execs at fortune 500 companies.... My co-workers could never even get passed their assistant or front desk. I was calling them on their home lines or cell phones because I knew the Google tricks and kept uncovering corporate directory phone books. I once got the personal phone book in an excel sheet and boy was it loaded. We are talking names and numbers of some of the most powerful, or wealthiest people worldwide.

The ten year old in me always day dreamed about crank calls. But the professional side beat the kid up and gave him a swirly, given that you know, my whole career and earnings depended on me not pissing off anyone on those lists.

Love that stuff. Hopefully it doesn't get ruined for the rest of us...

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 07:27 PM
link   
I know this tricks since a few years... very useful if you search some special files that normally wont show up. btw. it is also really interesing how many people stream their ip-cams into the web without knowing

you can pretty much mess arround with this search options.

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Research how spiders work and then you will be able to find just about anything you are looking for.

meant to say research how spiders work so you do not search in the same way they do.
edit on 5/8/2013 by catt3 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Start punching things in like that and you'll also get red flagged and spied on how ironic lol

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by catt3
Research how spiders work and then you will be able to find just about anything you are looking for.

meant to say research how spiders work so you do not search in the same way they do.

I find how spiders don't search to be quite interesting, as a lot of pay-for sites apparently allow the entire contents to be indexed without paying. I wouldn't want to inadvertently get data like that.

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 09:11 PM
link   

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 10:04 AM
link   
CLICKY

Looks like days and days of material to wade through.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Nothing new.
I use some of these tips to look for music on the web.

Been around since the beginning of google.

www.googleguide.com...

this site has all the operators and how you can use them.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 09:39 PM
link   
thanks for posting

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 03:10 AM
link   
These examples are not my own work came across them while surfing the internet.

Try these and substatute what you want:

eg: ?intitle:index.of? mp3

searching for ?intitle:index.of? chm ebook

otice I am only changing the word after the parent directory, change it to what you want and you will get a lot of stuff.

To see results; just write in the (www.google.com...) search engine the code:

"parent directory " /appz/ -xxx -html -htm -php -shtml -opendivx -md5 -md5sums

And

"parent directory " DVDRip -xxx -html -htm -php -shtml -opendivx -md5 -md5sums

And

"parent directory "Xvid -xxx -html -htm -php -shtml -opendivx -md5 -md5sums

And

"parent directory " Gamez -xxx -html -htm -php -shtml -opendivx -md5 -md5sums

And
"parent directory " MP3 -xxx -html -htm -php -shtml -opendivx -md5 -md5sums

And

"parent directory " Name of Singer or album -xxx -html -htm -php -shtml -opendivx -md5 -md5sums

Or

?intitle:index.of? mp3

You only need add the name of the song/artist/singer.
Example: ?intitle:index.of? mp3 jackson

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 04:55 AM
link   
What a weath of information. Thank you for sharing OP.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 05:36 AM
link   
The internet gives everyone the ability to have at their figure tips the very intelligence that even 20 years ago would have been highly classified and difficult to obtain. Now its all open source we can use social media to find just about anyone, have satellite images of any geographical area, detailed biographies on any word leader, contact details, we even have instant secure communication.

Its really quite impressive.

new topics

top topics

join