It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cantor overtime bill passes House

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 11:57 PM
link   
reply to post by watcher3339

After some thought I will respond to your first part of your post, you bring up valid concerns. To the last part of it, why is the Government even involved in the private contract I make with someone in exchange for my labor?!

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 03:12 AM
link   
Here's how it would work at my job.

You would work your behind off, for some PTO, get a good chunk accrued then, when you are about to actually use it, they would fire you and refuse to pay you for the PTO you earned.

Yay small business America, where business owners know employees are extremely expendable and don't give a snip about high turnover. I hope my boss never finds out about this overtime bill, he would jump on it like flies on poo.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by IrVulture
Boy, This one sure flew in under the radar!

Now they want to mess with our overtime pay!

Source

What a brilliant way to steal our hard earned money!

I can see it now, Vacation accrual will probably go away.

Oh, And who would REALLY keep track of how much overtime they've worked over the course of a year?

My overtime money pays for a lot of stuff I want or need RIGHT NOW!

Not somewhere down the road...

We are corporate owned, Lock, Stock and Barrel...

I guess you missed this part of the article?

Under the approved measure, employees could choose whether to take paid overtime or compensatory time — time off which would be accrued at the same rate as overtime pay — time and a half over 40 hours.

Employees would have to enter an agreement with their employer to seek comp time, but the employee could withdraw from the pact at any time and take the wages in cash.

edit on 9-5-2013 by OptimusSubprime because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 09:13 AM
link   
What is this "overtime" everyone speaks of? I'm a salaried employee and usually work ~70 hours a week; earning the same pay I receive on those rare occasions that I am blessed by my corporate handlers with a 40-hour work week. Oh, how I wish my job paid an hourly wage.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 09:18 AM
link   
The way it works at my job is if I say get held over for a late arrest or working a traffic accident I can choose between comp time or overtime pay. It is my choice and I like it that way. If I am held over for two hours it's not neccessarily worth taking the overtime pay. I would much rather build up my comp time so I can let my vacation time grow.

Where we were screwed is with mandatory training. About 5 years ago our department decided to stop paying us overtime for mandatory training. Every year we have mandatory training; firearms, driving, taser, first aid, defensive tactics etc. That usually accounted for about an extra 60-100 hours of overtime a year. Now they make us "flex" our time. So if I am off on Thursday and have 12 hours of training that day, I have to take off the following day that I work. Don't get me wrong I like my days off, however when you make less than $40,000 a year that extra money is nice. Not to mention it leaves our shifts severely understaffed.

They did this after taking away two of our paid holidays, and of course just like everyone else years of pay freezes and extra contributions to retirement.

Times are tough for a lot of people. Good luck to all.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by IrVulture

Am I missing something...you have the option to use overtime or take comp-time....maybe I'm missing something but you will still get your overtime...consider comp-time straight time to be used in the future...so the way it works is the 8 hrs worked extra will essentially turn into 12 hrs for time to be used in the future...

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by HauntWok

You are completely misrepresenting this and I believe you know it. Comp-time is not the same as your negotiated personal time off earned.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join