It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Currently Used Nursing Textbook Encourages Nurses to be Anti Gun Advocates

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by HelenConway

Let me address some of your points about nurse training

Nurses now train in a pack of up to 500

there was 30 in my class, 24 of us finished.

They do not do paediatrics/ psychiatry/ obstetrics/ community/ theatre / A and E / ITU in their training.

We have what we call “branch entries” that means that we are split into three main groups Adult nurses, Peadiactics and Mental health, midwifery is almost now totally seprate form nursing. As a Adult nurse I will not work or be in contact with any peadiactrics so I am not trained in that area or had ot work with kids. However there is a lot of cross over with mental health and I did have a psych placement.

In additon to that I had A&E, HDU, and community placements as well as a few others that I wont bore you with . The NMC makes it a requirement that all student nurses have a good mix of placements and spend 50% of ther time in practice and 50% in uni.

I love that you accuse me of arrogance yet you presume to tell me about my job and my triaing yet you have no experience of it yourself.

You have a terrible training and everyone has a BSc these days - it means very little

Actually we do get lots of what I call “silly degrees” you know like photography, marketing, media studdies and so on. That “terrible thing” I have has got me a pretty good and stable job so to me it means quite alot and i worked very hard to get it

Nurses do not have the clinical input and experience they used to have in their training,

No we have more much more, it used to be you spent a week in a collage then went out into a war where you were treated like a slave for a few weeks then back to college again.

Now Its is a professional degree where we teach students the most contempary theory and practice available with imput form a range of experts.

The reason that they were taken out of schools of nursing is that it is much much cheaper to train in the ''university'' system.

Again also totally worng the reason its now a degree entry job is because you need to have a brain to to the job, in the 70’s it was “yes doctor” or “ok matron” now its “well what does the evidance base behind this care have to say and how will it impact on my professional practice and registration”. We have moved form the doctors hand maidon to the thinking nursing profesional, that’s why we need to be in the universities as well as a whole load of other reasons.

On the wards - there are few nurses and mainly care assistants,

Depends on the area you are in and the demands of that area, there are almost always more Nurses on shift than health care assistants and in some areas there might be only one HCA if any but we couldnt do our jobs with out them.

Basically you know absolutly nothing about Nursing because your not a nurse yet you presume to know it all, it’s a really pathetic charictar trait that you should really check.
edit on 12-5-2013 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by OtherSideOfTheCoin

You are hilarious..

I suppose you ahve to be cleverer to be a pilot now then in days gone past,

I suppose drs are cleverer and so are vets and army officers and shop keepers.

Have fun in your delusional bubble.

ps IT IS - paediatrics / character / professional /college / CONTEMPORARY- and many other spelling corrections required.
You are impressing me !!!

edit on 12-5-2013 by HelenConway because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-5-2013 by HelenConway because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Helen I am really struggeling to keep a civil toung in my responses to you, you attidute just horrible, you are coming across really quite nasty.

The simple fact of the matter is that you made a statement that nursing today has not changed since the 1960’s, such a statement is entirly ignornt of the 21st centuarly nursing profesion as I have tried to explain to you.

Now really the nature of how nursing has changed since the days of Nightingale is really quite off-topic but if you would like to either U2U me to discuss this furthe or if you would like to create a thread to express your views on this then please feel free to do so and I will haipply discuss this with you further.

ps IT IS - paediatrics / character / professional . college - and many other spelling corrections required.

Yes and I am sure we are all very impressed by you winning the spelling contest just a pitty you know dam all about nursing.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by OtherSideOfTheCoin

STRUGGLING / ATTITUDE,

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Guys..guys.. Guys.. Am I the only one that was taught the value of therapeutic communication? Sarcasm is a communication block. Though I tend to agree with othersideofthecoin,( we are obviously nurses from the same generation), all of us are people with valid perspectives. My whole reason for saying anything at all was because I refused to be belittled for doing a needed service to fellow human beings. Yes, I mayclean up the occasional incontinent patient. I do this because it is the right thing to do. Half the time they aren't event my patients, I'm just helping out a co-worker. We are nurses representing our profession on this thread. Bickering like children doesn't convince anyone who's right and wrong; it only disgraces the profession I was standing up for.
edit on 12-5-2013 by riffraff because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by beautyndissonance

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
Crazy. What does any of that have to do with nursing?

While they're wiping my rear or changing my pan they're supposed to talk to me about guns?

My wife is a RN, and has a Bachelors of Science in Nursing, and honestly, I find your comment degrading and sexist. My wife is an extremely hard worker, much like many peers in her field. She doesn't often wipe butts, or change pans, because her level of training and degree received actually calls for her to triage your whiny butt, help doctors diagnose your illnesses, detect early warning signs, responsibly keep track and administer your medications, and also advice against ill actions that doctors may take due to lack of knowledge about a patient. You should really take heed in referring to a service field like nursing as "butt wipers" and "pan changers". Nurses save as many lives as police, emts, and firefighters, and typically do it while working in understaffed, underpayed, and extremely stressful environments, all with a smile on their face, and a love for their career. And my wife, being the wife of a former marine and two time iraq vet, probably knows more about firearms than you ever will. Jerk.

Personally, I find your entire post degrading! I too am an RN with a Bachelors of Science in Nursing. I will be the first to tell you, NO JOB was ever beneath me! I bet if your wife saw your post, she would set you straight on that! The people that make the best nurses are the ones willing to get their hands dirty!! If your patient has a need and you happen to be in their room, you take them to the bathroom, you change them and if your wife has ever recorded an intake and output which is crucial to her job, I am sure she has emptied a pan or two. For you to think otherwise, means you really don't know nursing!

Yes, the loftier duties are important but with out the basic clean and dry, is your patient getting any care worth bragging about! Your attitude is the very reason I left nursing after 16 years!

The idea that a nursing text book would print such garbage doesn't surprise me one bit! Our education system is already ruined because of a government mentality that is too politically correct! I am sure the nurses, well the smart ones, ignored this page in the book, altogether.

Pax

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by riffraff

It is not my job to wipe your bottom I am much too busy for that. You are thinking of CNAs. Nurses run the hospital.

Your attitude needs adjusting!!! Hate to break it to you, but your job is to take care of the patient, that is your number one priority!! Yes, you are busy, but by the time you find a person whom is not busy to help the patient, whether it be a trip to the bathroom or change them, you have wasted twice as much time as you would have doing the job your self!

You will be in for a rude awakening soon enough! This is not school this is the real world nursing! Glad you had your glock on you though!!

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by paxnatus

Please read two posts above. It seems as though people only read what they want between selected lines. You are correct. No job is beneath me. If you would read the entire thread before jumping in you would save both of us needless thought energy. There is nothing wrong with standing up for myself and pointing out that we didn't earn our degrees in science so that our primary job be emptying bedpans and wiping bottoms as "thisguyrighthere" posted. After all I do have the authority to delegate that job so that my talents are better served.

And I am no longer in school. The ladies on the floor call me mr. C.Diff. Because I'm so helpful when it comes to that.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 12:50 AM
link   
I'm not anti gun shots... that's call job security.

I kid. I kid. I work in cardiac, not trauma.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join