It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Currently Used Nursing Textbook Encourages Nurses to be Anti Gun Advocates

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by chasingbrahman

Fair enough. There is some truth to what you said. Nurses do become burnt out and jaded because of frequent flyers just looking for drugs. Alot of nurses believe their bs detector is infallible. I am not one of those. If you say you are in pain. I will ask you to rate your pain, administer the prescribed analgesic then ask you to rate your pain 30 mins. Later. I will then document your response. Unless there is risk for respiratory failure, I will ease your pain without judgement. Judging is not my job either.

And you are right, most nurses do know tons more than doctors( though the doctors that do know their field are amazing and an honor to work for). If only the common person acknowledged that I wouldn't have entered this discussion in the first place.

I am sorry you have a jaded perception of my field. The vast majority of us have good hearts. We look at patients and see our mothers and fathers, sisters and brothers. Now I know what it feels like to be defending policemen with the " majority are good" argument.

C'mon you know we're not as bad as cops, right? Lol
edit on 9-5-2013 by riffraff because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 01:15 AM
link   
As an Advanced Practice Registered Nurse, I can guarantee you we don't read the book. No fear.

We've had several people try to bring guns into the hospital or threaten to kill someone in the hospital. In Texas, we are more about having healthcare professionals carry guns inside than we are about security having a gun.

Nurses, at all levels, are more concerned with how to treat the health issue at hand than worry about the "politics" of the book or their views.
edit on 12-5-2013 by AmateuRN because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Thisguyrighthere,

I just realized that the whole time I was defending my profession/clarifying misconceptions, I forgot to ask what you do for a living. So, may I ask: what do you do for a living? You must be more important than a lowly RN can ever fathom for you to be able to thumb your nose at real life heros

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by AnonymousCitizen

sorry but grow up !!

Nurses may or may not be 'anti gun', who knows? They are individuals.

BUT it is guaranteed that nearly ALL nurses are ANTI people being shot with guns.
They have to deal with the aftermath, the deaths, the life changing injuries and support those people and their family thus affected.

Work a couple of shifts in ER or A and E and come back and have a chat.

Plus for your information - nurses also give advice about health and well being and accident prevention.

It is their job.

edit on 12-5-2013 by HelenConway because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
Crazy. What does any of that have to do with nursing?

While they're wiping my rear or changing my pan they're supposed to talk to me about guns?

The most ignorant comment of the year - so far.
second

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by templar knight
I could understand this as you get so many casualties from guns.

But do they give the same treatment for cars? Or alcohol?

Yes !!!

second

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by riffraff

I am a RN. I love my guns. It is not my job to wipe your bottom I am much too busy for that. You are thinking of CNAs. Nurses run the hospital. We do everything except write prescriptions. We know much more about your health and you than your doctor. We even have to remind doctors why they can't prescribe certain meds to certain patients. You have no clue how much science I had to learn to graduate.

edit on 8-5-2013 by riffraff because: (no reason given)

Nurses do write prescriptions actually - in many countries.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by riffraff

My wife has been an RN for 20 years. She does all you described And cleans patients.
She says she has never seen this book or it's advice. She also says they have rules against any sort of advice that would be seen as political, as it may be misconstrued as hospital policy.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 11:58 AM
link   

nurses did exactly the same job in 1960.
Stop trying to create divisions.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by DAVID64

Yes. I also said that I have never seen this book.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by HelenConway

Really? Because my instructors (who were up and coming nurses in the 70's) said that they didn't need to know half the things we need to know now. They said the medicine and medical knowledge and procedures have grown so much that the nurses' role and knowledge must grow and evolve to keep up with the times. Silly me for trusting the ones who were there.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Yes nurse practitioners can write prescriptions here where I live too. I am only an RN, so that thought slipped my mind in the process of me describing my experience.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Never say ONLY an RN

I bet you work really hard and do a great job and have lots of responsibility.
Nurse practitioners are no better - just different

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by riffraff

Really? Because my instructors (who were up and coming nurses in the 70's) said that they didn't need to know half the things we need to know now. They said the medicine and medical knowledge and procedures have grown so much that the nurses' role and knowledge must grow and evolve to keep up with the times. Silly me for trusting the ones who were there.

Not true - they still had the same sick patients, they still worked in emergency rooms, theatres, ICU and wards.
They still monitored clients / patients - they still needed the same knowledge.

They still managed the wards - gave medications / organised discharges/ admissions/ worked ventilators/ gave IVs, took blood, auscultated chests etc etc.

They probably did not have as many IV drugs to give, they gave them IM.

They had more basic equipment like no flashy monitors or ventilators or pulse oximeters or fancy ECG machines [ they were basic]

The job however was the same - the knowledge base required was the same, all nurse trainers tell you that your generation are the ' best ', do not believe it - NOT true

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Crazy. What does any of that have to do with nursing?

While they're wiping my rear or changing my pan they're supposed to talk to me about guns?

Yes because I have a bachelors of Sience Degree in whiping you rear…….

The public perseption of modner nursing is frankly pathetic.

But to get on topic, why would a nurse give out anti-gun advice?

I personally have never seen this book being used, never, I have never had anyone tell me to take a anti-gun view. I can only talk form a UK nursing perspective but I don’t think there is anything wrong with this. It’s a health promotion issue, guns lets face, if used incorrectly or handeld by kids are very dangours. Its not about a politcial view its about safety, is it safe for guns to ran around with guns, no. I really would not be getting to excited about this text box in a textbook, its probalby just there to fill space, there doesn’t seem to be any evidance behind it.

For the record I am pro-second amendment.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Not true - they still had the same sick patients, they still worked in emergency rooms, theatres, ICU and wards. They still monitored clients / patients - they still needed the same knowledge. They still managed the wards - gave medications / organised discharges/ admissions/ worked ventilators/ gave IVs, took blood, auscultated chests etc etc. They probably did not have as many IV drugs to give, they gave them IM. They had more basic equipment like no flashy monitors or ventilators or pulse oximeters or fancy ECG machines [ they were basic] The job however was the same - the knowledge base required was the same, all nurse trainers tell you that your generation are the ' best ', do not believe it - NOT true

Clearly not a nurse then….

My mother was a nurse she quit when she had the kids about 25 years or so ago.

When I tell her about my job she doesn’t recognise it as her generations version of “nursing”.

Nursing in the 70’s hell even nursing in 90’s is nothing like it today in 2013.

edit on 12-5-2013 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by OtherSideOfTheCoin

absolute rubbish
second

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 04:15 PM
link   

absolute rubbish

Unless you are a nurse then I really don’t think your in a position to make that claim.

Saying that Nursing today is still the pretty much the same as it was in the 1960’s is like saying copmputer development is still pretty much the same as it was in the 1980’s. its utter rubbish, if you were to take a nurse form 1960 and teleport him or her to 2013 that person would not be able to do the job. It is totally different, we undertake skills that are totally different, the culture is different we have a huge focus on evidance based practice and work in what is increasingly turning into a more technological dirven job, its nothing like the 1960’s.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 04:23 PM
link   
I've said it before and I will say it again: There is a long term effort underway to undermine and ultimately destroy the 2nd Amendment and this is just one of the many ways the game is manifesting itself. They might not be able to make any major power plays in the federal government now but every day they gain ground on the psychological front through indoctrination methods like this and through state-level legislative victories (like the NY SAFE act for example).

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by OtherSideOfTheCoin

You are hilarious.
I bet you are one of those people who claim that a levels did not get easier in the 90s and 00s.
FYI they were much harder in the 50s 60s 70s and 80s.
Your arrogance is astounding.

Nurses now train in a pack of up to 500 - they are dumped on med / surgical/ nursing home [ TVU].
They do not do paediatrics/ psychiatry/ obstetrics/ community/ theatre / A and E / ITU in their training.
You have a terrible training and everyone has a BSc these days - it means very little.

Nurses do not have the clinical input and experience they used to have in their training,

The reason that they were taken out of schools of nursing is that it is much much cheaper to train in the ''university'' system.

On the wards - there are few nurses and mainly care assistants,

Nurses these days are by and large appalling and it is due to a bad attitude and bad training. Not due to more skills and more responsibility.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join