It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. To Provide $100 Million In New Syria Aid For Humanitarian Purposes Only

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 02:14 PM
link   

The Obama administration is providing $100 million in new Syria aid, U.S. officials said Wednesday, but the money is for humanitarian purposes only and not linked to any decision on arming Syrian rebels.

The announcement will be made by Secretary of State John Kerry on Thursday in Rome, where his diplomacy includes a meeting with Jordan's foreign minister, the officials said.

The new funds will help support 1.4 million Syrian refugees, including many in U.S. ally Jordan, and hundreds of thousands of other civilians still trapped by the violence inside Syria's border. Total U.S. humanitarian assistance in the two-year war will climb to $510 million.

While the cash influx will certainly be welcomed by aid groups and refugee organizations that have lamented a lack of financial support, it is unlikely to end the clamoring for lethal assistance among the rebels fighting Syrian President Bashar Assad's regime.

The Obama administration has said it is considering providing weapons to vetted units in the armed opposition, among other military options, following last week's revelation of a U.S. intelligence assessment suggested chemical weapons use by the Assad regime. The U.S. also is looking for ways to halt the violence that has killed more than 70,000 people.

Source

I find it amazing how our deficit just disappears when we want to give money to other countries

Just imagine what they COULD do with that small $100 million here in this country?? We are broke yet we give money to Syria.. Lets forget that 1 in 5 children here in the US have zero clue where there next meal is coming from. I'm sure that $100 million or the $510 million given over the last two years could help feed a lot of kids here in the US... When we're struggling to make ends meet here in the US, its not the time to keep handing out money across the world. We have to fix our own country first... If I'm broke, I don't lend money to my friends or neighbors, I wish the US would demonstrate that same way of thinking...

And I'm sure that the money is for humanitarian purposes only...

edit on 8-5-2013 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 02:19 PM
link   
It also begs the question as to where the aid ends up in the long run. Same stuff happened in Somalia and we know how that worked out. If Syria doesn't like their government, then let Syria figure that one out. No need to meddle in others' affairs in my view.

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Can't for the life of me figure out why our government does these kind of things. We all know that the money won't be used for it's intended purpose. It will be put into the wrong hands and the money will be whisked away. Maybe some people will decide to retire in a the Bahamas.

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by lynxpilot
It also begs the question as to where the aid ends up in the long run. Same stuff happened in Somalia and we know how that worked out. If Syria doesn't like their government, then let Syria figure that one out. No need to meddle in others' affairs in my view.

I'm sure they audit the Syrian rebel groups to make sure the money is being used appropriately...

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 02:23 PM
link   
This is pocket change compared to what we give to Isreal, as well as foreign militia groups (wait, those two are on in the same!")

I saw on Dr. Phil yesterday on a commercial where he said more than one in five kids in America don't have regular access to food.

But by all means, my government should continue to squander an asinine amount of money to fund their wars and global destabilization. All the while stupid Americans (and yeah I'm an American so don't fly off the handle saying I have no right to criticize) clap and parade about Obama and his hollow speeches and false promises.

The American sheeple are loosing everything as this government gives to everyone else, and they're so brain-washed that they're licking the boots that are knocking their teeth out.

Stockholm syndrome?

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Psshhh, The United States has unlimited money, must've forgot about that cheat code put in a few years back.

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Why didn't they invert this money into the USA, make jobs and take thousands out of the job market.

When America runs smoothly, when everyone has a job, THEN give away $100,000,000 to a bunch of arabs the other side of the world just so they can look the benevolant...

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by LightWarrior11
Psshhh, The United States has unlimited money, must've forgot about that cheat code put in a few years back.

Is the code you speak of Up-Up-Down-Down-Left-Right-Left-Right B, A, Start......... Oh no, sorry, that's Contra...

edit on 8-5-2013 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 02:27 PM
link   
its no wonder why we are going bankrupt.. why don't you throw 100mil at the starving kids of america since we aren't worried about how much $ we spend.. And while ur at it lets print another $400mil and throw it at the homeless problem in america.. Oh wait why would we want to help americans when we can help every other country in the world...

I am so sure the money will be spent exactly as intended...

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by andy1972
Why didn't they invert this money into the USA, make jobs and take thousands out of the job market.

When America runs smoothly, when everyone has a job, THEN give away $100,000,000 to a bunch of arabs the other side of the world just so they can look the benevolant...

Totally agree, we have a HUGE mess to clean up here, but it seems our Govt. is more concerned with helping another country where they want the rebels to over throw so they can bring peace and democracy to the region... This has NOTHING to do with any of the resources Syria has (cough BS cough).....

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by jhn7537

Originally posted by andy1972

Totally agree, we have a HUGE mess to clean up here, but it seems our Govt. is more concerned with helping another country where they want the rebels to over throw so they can bring peace and democracy to the region... This has NOTHING to do with any of the resources Syria has (cough BS cough).....

Well, as this week is the nazi's hunter lucky week maybe they're doing it because Syria was the last known address of Alois Brunner, the number one on Simon Weisenthals top 50 nazi hit list.
They're buying him from Assad to give to Israel gift wrapped..who knows...because i can't think of an actual valid reason why they're "donating" $100,000,000 to Syria..who harbour and arm Hezbollah, a terrorist group??
edit on 8-5-2013 by andy1972 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 04:43 PM
link   
There goes that rubber check again, what blows my mind away is these people want to give money away that we the tax payers have to pay for when we can't afford to live. This is just like the Auto industry bail out we own what 18% of GM, do we see anything back on that, did your taxes go down showing a GM credit for the bail out NO.

Better yet lets just have John Kerry reach into his wifes purse and pay them with her money.

I think that every time there is a bail out/ hand out ect that the american people should have the right to vote on it, have a voting system set up for every month (Job creation) and we vote as a Nation if some one gets our money or aide.

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 08:54 PM
link   
and yet again, apparently the countries broke and .. oh wait heres 100 mill for syria.

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nephalim
and yet again, apparently the countries broke and .. oh wait heres 100 mill for syria.

Its funny how they find just $100 million sitting around, as a tax paying citizen I love this.... (end sarcasm)....

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 04:57 AM
link   
Though I disagree with them giving our money away, this money is merely a pittance of what the U.S. gives every year. It's all about control and the petrol dollar, at least in my opinion. Look to the 70's when we were close to collapsing. We set a deal with the Saudis and OPEC to start the petrol dollar as a way to prop up our system. Since that time, our foreign aid has skyrocketed. Seems to me it's a two way street: We supply nations with aid as long as they continue to abide by the petrol dollard; if they abide, we continue to have access to the world's largest credit card. Hence, the 17 trillion dollar debt, while nations continue to poor money into our bonds. I could be wrong, and I usually am, but this is my understanding of the situation. We use them and they use us. If we didn't use them, we wouldn't have the credit to run 5 trillon dollar a year budgets. If they didn't have us, they wouldn't get billions in free aid every year, which magically ends up in the coffers of the elite of the respective nation. C'est La Vie.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 05:08 AM
link   
$100 Million?

Just print more money - Who cares?

new topics

top topics

join