A few things here:
1. Crime, period, has come down over that period. From a total of 14,144,794 crimes in 1993 to 10,329,135 in 2010, per the FBI's database. An overall
reduction in crime of roughly 28%. The Justice Department report is just statistics, not analysis and doesn't make any claim for why the reduction
2. The reduction primarily occurred a decade ago, while having a slight increase in recent years.
3. I have to seriously question where someone's head is at when they call 11,101 gun murders "hyped". At which point is it too many? A million?
Would a million no longer be "hype"? Eleven thousand murders in 2011 is okay with you? Around 300,000 gun homicides in the last 20 years is
"hyped"?!? In the past 20 years on our own soil, fellow Americans have murdered, with a gun, nearly six times as many Americans as have been killed
in war since our involvement in the Korean War onward. That's not hype. That's a terrible, terrible amount and not "hyped" enough. Making people
aware of what is happening is extraordinarily important in the effort to end this nonsense.
4. While I see people bringing up these reports, they are missing the point. These are statistics only and not an analysis
. Yes, deaths from
gun violence is down, because the mortality rate has dropped
5. While the overall homicide rate has dropped, the number of mass killings has increased. And they have rightly been highlighted by the media and
others. Only a monster would think it's alright to just sweep these things under the rug and not discuss them and try to find a solution to an
I am not a "gun-grabber", I am a gun owner. Every one of these mass killings, every single last gun homicide in this country sullies law abiding gun
owners. There needs to be a solution. The best chance to protect the 2nd Amendment is to find a solution, not by ranting about politicians, not by
calling concerned citizens belittling names, and most definitely
not by threatening insurrection.
Again, 11,101 homicides is NOT something you point to and say "Look, look how low the murders are. No problem here!" It is, in fact, the exact