It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Constant 408's-and need advice on how to copy an entire reply,please?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 10:13 AM
link   
My browser is Chrome(FF started giving me trouble-it actually prevented me from net access)so my hubby uninstalled it and put Chrome as my browser.Since i started using Chrome though,i find that very very often,i get 408's when i press "reply"-usually after the LONG replies

My hubby and myself are both pc-challenged,his forte is scada systems,so he cannot help me either
lease tell me,what do i do to copy a whole reply,consisting of sometimes multiple paragraphs,in case of the dreaded 408?
And please,explain as if to a 3 year old?
Thank you in advance,Rax.

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Raxoxane

Not sure why you'd be getting errors like that but to answer your second question...

Select the text you want with your mouse, starting at the beginning of the first line, left click, then drag the mouse until all of the text you want is highlighted.

Then you can either right click within that selection and choose "copy"

or

While having everything selected, press Control + C to copy the text.

Open a notepad or whatever you want, and either right click and select "paste" or press CONTROL+V to paste it.

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 10:19 AM
link   

If you point your curser, or mouse, at the top of your reply, and hold the left mouse button, you can highlight the entire post by dragging the mouse to the end of your reply. Once your entire post is highlighted, blue on my PC, just click "control C" for copy.

I sometime get the 408 window, but if I refresh the screen, I get another menu that, by clicking yes, allows me to post. But if the doesn't work for you, just hit the "back button" and then "Control V" to paste your copied text, and hit the reply button again.

Hope that helps.

edit on 8-5-2013 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Do you mean a reply you just wrote out that may get deleted?

Option one: Write said reply in MS Word or similar then paste that into Abovetopsecret reply window, if post fails it's still sitting in word.

Option two: after writing reply you can do what I do, just click and drag.. Soemtimes it's a little hard to get the window to scroll down but it works. Especially if you pull the reply window larger first. Bottom right of reply window has a little drag thing on it.

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 10:59 AM
link   

what do i do to copy a whole reply,consisting of sometimes multiple paragraphs,in case of the dreaded 408?

Multiple paragraphs? if you go over 5000 characters you won't be able to reply. Maybe this will help...

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 8-5-2013 by intrptr because: BBcode

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 11:17 AM
link   
you didn't mention what kind of machine you're running but if you're getting 408 errors everywhere start with doing this... and if you're running a router and the "refresh renew" doesn't work then unplug the modem and router, the power cables, for about 30 seconds then plug them back in and if these still don't fix your issue then scan for viruses. these are basic starting points and if none of these help you may have a bigger problem like you may need a new ethernet card in your pc/mac or modem or router if you're using one. good luck and hope one of these help you.

For Windows

For Mac

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Raxoxane
My browser is Chrome(FF started giving me trouble-it actually prevented me from net access)so my hubby uninstalled it and put Chrome as my browser.Since i started using Chrome though,i find that very very often,i get 408's when i press "reply"-usually after the LONG replies

My hubby and myself are both pc-challenged,his forte is scada systems,so he cannot help me either
lease tell me,what do i do to copy a whole reply,consisting of sometimes multiple paragraphs,in case of the dreaded 408?
And please,explain as if to a 3 year old?
Thank you in advance,Rax.

Make sure the cursor is in the reply text box, and hit CTRL-A - all the text should become highlighted.

Then hit CTRL-C to Copy the highlighted text and you can paste this into a Word document or Notepad document.

Hopefully you know how to open those, if not, I hit the Windows Button (the one of the bottom left in between the Ctrl and the Alt buttons) and R and a Run Command box should pop up.

you can type notepad.exe into that and notepad should open.

CTRL-V will pase the copied text into that.

Why you're getting Timeouts though would be better to resolve, than a work around to deal with it.

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

Control A, eh? Thanks for that! Who knew!?

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Just to say a big Thank You!!!! to everyone- i finally got the hang of it-thanks so much!
edit on 8-5-2013 by Raxoxane because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join