It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Manchester United manager Alex Ferguson retiring at end of season after more than 26 years in job!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 04:00 AM
link   
Oh that's surprising, I thought he will stay one more decade at Old Trafford

Thank you Sir Alex for everything ..

One of the best managers of all time !!

MANCHESTER, England (AP) — Manchester United manager Alex Ferguson is retiring at the end of the season, bringing an end to more than 26 trophy-filled years at the club.

"The decision to retire is one that I have thought a great deal about and one that I have not taken lightly," Ferguson said in a statement on Wednesday. "It is the right time."

Man U's Alex Ferguson retiring at end of season

Sir Alex added: "I must pay tribute to my family, their love and support has been essential. My wife Cathy has been the key figure throughout my career, providing a bedrock of both stability and encouragement. Words are not enough to express what this has meant to me."
edit on 8-5-2013 by MariaLida because: (no reason given)

edit on 8/5/13 by JAK because: Link format

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 04:05 AM
link   
Sir Alex Ferguson Retires: Live Updates

"The new manager? Possibles cited include David Moyes, out of contract at Everton, and Jose Mourinho, who is expected to leave Real Madrid at the end of the season, although Borussia Dortmund's highly-regarded coach Jnrgen Klopp and Bayern Munich's 67-year-old outgoing boss Jupp Heynckes may also be contenders."

cO-CHAIR Avie Glazer said: "I am delighted to announce that Alex has agreed to stay with the club as a director. His contributions to Manchester United over the last 26 years have been extraordinary and, like all United fans, I want him to be a part of its future."

Sir Alex - “ Important to leave organisation in strongest possible shape; I believe I have done so.”

The 13th league title will be the last for the veteran manager

news.sky.com...

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 05:01 AM
link   
Whoever takes over is going to have a hard task persuading the fans

perhaps Rafa would like a stab at it

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 05:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maxatoria
Whoever takes over is going to have a hard task persuading the fans

perhaps Rafa would like a stab at it

don't even joke about these things

I'm really stricken with this news...been a united supporter for the last 25 years or so...

Will it even be United after him...

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 05:55 AM
link   
As a Chelsea fan, I rejoiced at this news... Then I realised that the most likely candidate for the job was Jose Mourinho. I know Mourinho has hinted at leaving Real and he wants to manage Man U, and Pep Guardiola has also said he wants to manage them, but he's at Bayern next season. I reckon we're stuffed

Just have to wait and see...
edit on 8-5-2013 by Florasaurus because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 05:58 AM
link   
reply to post by MarioOnTheFly

Hopefully if he stays on at the club, he will still yield some influence. Although the hair dryer treatment is gone for good. It was that type of management that made united so successful. Always pushed them till the very last kick of the ball. Always managed to get us a few more minutes with the assistant ref when we needed them too.

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 06:00 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

Apparently he's staying as a "director and club ambassador"... I can't imagine him ever leaving Man U for good

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 06:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Florasaurus
As a Chelsea fan, I rejoiced at this news... Then I realised that the most likely candidate for the job was Jose Mourinho. I know Mourinho has hinted at leaving Real and he wants to manage Man U, and Pep Guardiola has also said he wants to manage them, but he's at Bayern next season. I reckon we're stuffed

Just have to wait and see...
edit on 8-5-2013 by Florasaurus because: (no reason given)

As a Liverpool fan i am still rejoicing!

I have to say credit where it is due though. I was always a bit hit and miss about how good he is. I mean, fair play, he knocked us off the top after a few seasons but that was success at the right time - just as all the money started to flow into the top flight. This then gave them a huge advantage. BUT................

then i look at the success they have had over the past 4 or 5 years with what has to be the worst midfield in the top 5 or 6 clubs in the Premier League and you have to say, well done Fergie. No other manager could have won what you have won with a midfield that poor (for a top club).

As to him staying there - i actually think that could be a mistake. I realise they can't really get rid of him but at the same time it is a hell of a shadow still at the club for whoever takes over. Comparing it to the mighty Pool, if it was Shankly just retiring i wouldn't want the managers job if he was still there at some level! (if that makes sense).

I still think Fergie's best achievement is European success with Aberdeen though - that will take some beating.

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 06:56 AM
link   
First thatcher now this,somewhere out there there's a scoucer with one wish left in his lamp

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 08:03 AM
link   
It's a testament to fergie that fans from less successful clubs over the last 25 years are rejoicing. Just shows how poor your teams have been that none have really challenged united under Fegies rule. Despite the money thrown at your clubs.

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Alex Ferguson is arguably one of the best Football managers of all time!

He will be sadly missed at Man United!

If he wants a wee weekend job I know Rangers could be doing with him in some capacity or another. LoL

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 08:09 AM
link   
reply to post by haven123

Someones been on sickipedia

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by haven123
First thatcher now this,somewhere out there there's a scoucer with one wish left in his lamp

What's the deal putting Ferguson in the same basket as that Thatcher animal???

To my knowledge, Sir Alex did not force the poll tax down our throat or cripple a nation!

Also i don't remember Alex Ferguson stealing my school milk! LoL

edit on 8-5-2013 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

JAK

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 08:20 AM
link   
reply to post by haven123

A genuine laugh out loud moment.

JAK

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 08:45 AM
link   
In a BBC article, Sir Alex Ferguson: 10 things not everybody knows There's some seemingly appropriate material for ATS

JFK

Gordon Brown sent him numerous CDs about the assassination of JFK. Ferguson bonded with Brown over a shared interest in US politics. "Gordon sent me 35 CDs on it, which was brilliant of him," he told Manchester radio station Key 103 in 2007. Ferguson is fascinated with JFK. He said he kept JFK's autopsy report by his bed. He also has a copy of the Warren Report signed by [the former US president] Gerald Ford.

As a Spurs fan I like the Rafa talk - anything that may help put Chelsea off their game tonight.
If the eternal Moyes rumours are true it would be a great blow for Everton.
edit on 8/5/13 by JAK because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by JAK

wonder if he's a member on here

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 09:33 AM
link   
oh happy day !!

thats the end of utd's dominance. no doubt about it
he was a brilliant manager, great talent spotter.
but the team is full of average players. he got them all playing together as a strong unit.
this was his strength. man managment. he gets the best out of his players.
how many of utd's team would walk into another top team?
none? one? i say none.
so when ferguson's gone, utd will slide. i predict they will struggle to finish top four next season.
now david moyes is a great manager. he will be confirmed tomorrow.
but stepping into ferguson's shoe's? its a huge task for anyone. he's done a remarkable job with everton. he also is a great talent spotter. but managing man utd? im not sure he can. he has never beaten a top four team away in something like 44 matches, or ten seasons, since he's become the everton manager. he has hardly any champions league experience.
so i am predicting the end of manchester united's dominance.
oh happy day.....

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Moysey will be in. Jose wants to be in, but Yawnited need a manger for longer than 3 seasons.
Moysey is bezzers with Rudolph, so no brainer there.

It will be all chelsea man City next session, you mark my words

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Great manager in many respects, but does no one remember how his players started the trend of ref abuse, surrounding the refs, screaming and shouting at them?
Not to mention his hypocrisy, and the fact that he instructed his players to dive if they felt the slightest contact? (see Jaap Stams autobiography)

Great manager he may have been, but he is also responsible for many of the more unsavoury elements that have infested the game in this country during his tenure.

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by budski

no more than any other manager fighting at the top football was better with him than without

new topics

top topics

join