It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Many Sharks Are Killed Per Hour? This Graphic Will Shock You (INFOGRAPHIC)

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 07:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Covertblack

I know. Sorry about that..!

However I think it is best we do not live in ignorance...

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 07:40 AM
link   
reply to post by BlindBastards

Whilst all the killing is going on the 64 species of open ocean (pelagic) sharks and rays are still reproducing and bringing up young..

However if we continue to kill them in mass numbers there will not be many left to keep on reproducing..

Due to the incomplete nature of the data for shark catches, that number could be as low as 63 million or as high as 273 million, but both the high and low end estimates are outside of safe biological limits. According to the study’s authors, this number represents approximately 7% of all sharks in the ocean. On average, shark populations can grow at a maximum rate of 5% per year.

As can be seen, shark populations cannot grow fast enough to sustain this enormous removal each year, which is why sharks numbers have declined so dramatically in recent years.

oceana.org...

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by fluff007

32% of 64 species of open ocean (pelagic) sharks and rays are threatened with extinction..

To be honest I think that fact alone is alarming enough, without the other numbers. We need to do something about this. People have been working on a world wide ban of shark fin soup and I hope that is a success. But its not just sharks its also all the other fish species we are wiping out for food, if they die the sharks may not have enough food.

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Man it sucks to be a shark....

Yellow people would kill the last of em for soup....

Man they need those lasers more than ever now...

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by H1ght3chHippie
I highly doubt this figure is correct.

Let's do the math:

11.417 X 24 = 274.008 Sharks killed per day.

27.008x365 = 100.012.920

So in this year alone they killed allegedly 100 Million sharks.

And in the last ten years, we have killed more than a billion sharks ?

No way, I'd like to see how they came up with that number.

Yes, I have seen this number many times, about One hundred Million sharks killed every year, and not just this year, this number has been known for years.

Just goolge "100 Million sharks killed each year", and put in some different years.

I would have guessed this thread would garner more flags, what, we have members here that are part of the Asian fishing or Chinese medicine communities?

edit on 8-5-2013 by PlanetXisHERE because: correction

edit on 8-5-2013 by PlanetXisHERE because: spelling

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Good post, fluff007. And whether the numbers killed are entirely accurate or not, it is an absolute disgrace, the way these magnificent creatures are butchered, for something we don't really need anyway...

Thank you for bringing it to our attention. I'm ending my reply here, lest it turns in to a rant.

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Gemwolf

Quite interesting, I'm still having problems with that figure, but then again what do I know.

The amount of metric tonnage of shark fins is indeed a good starting point, and it convinces me somewhat more because these numbers appear to be based upon actual measuring and not interpolation.

So it indeed they weighed more than 1.200.000 metric "tons of shark" which ( in average ) equals around 35 million killed sharks a year. Stochastically at least.

So while the figure in the OP is exaggerated by a threefold, the real number is still way higher than I had ever thought it to be possible. I stand in awe.
edit on 8-5-2013 by H1ght3chHippie because: Code messup

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by grey9438

To be honest I think that fact alone is alarming enough, without the other numbers. We need to do something about this. People have been working on a world wide ban of shark fin soup and I hope that is a success. But its not just sharks its also all the other fish species we are wiping out for food, if they die the sharks may not have enough food.

I totally agree.. People have been campaigning for years to ban shark fin soup and so far the ban has not happened. I think the problem is that the people who catch and kill the sharks and the people who consume need to be made aware of the fact that a) this is not sustainable and b) the inhumane killing of the shark is just not on..

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaanny

Lool..! A star for thee

Yes this is what the sharks need..! Then they could get their own back on the horrible beasts that take their lives with disrespect ad zero compassion...

Sharks with lasers ftw..!!

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by PlanetXisHERE

I would have guessed this thread would garner more flags, what, we have members here that are part of the Asian fishing or Chinese medicine communities?

Lol maybe that is the case... I am not too bothered about flags however when an important issue or problem is raised I think the more people who see it and then spread the information the better..!

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by MrJohnSmith

Thanks John

Well I put this thread up as I think it is an important issue that needs to be addressed ASAP..! So the more people who see it and share the info the better..!

I have told nearly everyone I know about this.. Shared it on social media sites emailed it to folk and by word of mouth too..!

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 01:13 PM
link   
If any members feel strongly enough about this. Please make your voice heard..!

Spread the info..
Sign petitions..
Educate...!!!

Here are a few links to sites campaigning for a ban on shark fin soup...

www.stopsharkfinning.net...

www.seashepherd.org...

www.hsi.org...

www.sharksavers.org...

seastewards.org...

Information is power..!

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 02:25 PM
link   
To all your haters out there... The amount of sharks killed per year is between 100000000 and 300000000 deaths. The graphic representation in the OP could well be an under estimate.Not an over estimate...

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by purplemer
To all your haters out there... The amount of sharks killed per year is between 100000000 and 300000000 deaths. The graphic representation in the OP could well be an under estimate.Not an over estimate...

Yes, I don't know why people are so disbelieving of this number, I have heard this number bandied about for years. The ocean is huge, and shark fin soup is served in most of the Chinese restaurants around the world, how many restaurants are there in China alone? Millions?

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 05:09 PM
link   
PER HOUR

Sorry I do not believe those stats, I do agree we kill to many though, if we kill them all those damned squid will take over I'm tellin' ya!

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 05:09 PM
link   
CORRECTION! Humans kill...

I am human (at least I believe I am?) I have NEVER intentionally or unintentional killed a Shark EVER! I do not eat fish and live no where near the ocean.

If you ask me (and I know you didn't) this is a cultural change that needs to happen with people who do rely on fish or fish products...

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Sparta

Believe what you want. However the figures speak for themselves to those that bothered to look..

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by fluff007
reply to post by pheonix358

I agree.. I just do not understand mankinds actions toward another being of this planet. I do not know why they think they have the right to treat others in this appalling manner..

I am not even trying to get peeps on board. I am just trying to get peeps to understand this can not go on without it having dire detrimental to not just us but to the entire planet..

Information is power in this day and age.. Educate and inform people..!

Until there is a species that would do the same to us, no one would understand, and even if that happens, not a lot of people would still understand, it's sad and disgusting, as a wise man once said, Vote with your wallets!!!

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by H1ght3chHippie
I highly doubt this figure is correct.

Let's do the math:

11.417 X 24 = 274.008 Sharks killed per day.

27.008x365 = 100.012.920

So in this year alone they killed allegedly 100 Million sharks.

And in the last ten years, we have killed more than a billion sharks ?

No way, I'd like to see how they came up with that number.

It is a comical number. China's commercial fleet of 1,380 vessels contains 1/3 of all offshore fishing vessels and according to this estimate caught 200 sharks a day while never taking a day off. Comically bull#.

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 07:52 PM
link   

11,147 per hour is just not enough. We might as well open the entire central pacific region to unlimited amounts of fishing and whaling, becuase Fukushima has probably already released enough radioactive toxins that all usable marine life will be extinct within a decade.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join