It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google at it Again in Syria?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 02:10 AM
link   
Aljazeera
It is a short article so I will post it...

Internet connections between Syria and the outside world have been cut off, according to data from Google and other global internet companies.

Tuesday's shutdown effectively "disconnects Syria from Internet communication with the rest of the world," according to companies that monitor online traffic around the world.

Google's Transparency Report pages showed traffic to Google services pages from the country, embroiled in a civil war that has lasted more than two years, suddenly stopping shortly before 1900 GMT.

Google traffic reports continued to show no activity there several hours after the drop-off.

"We've seen this twice before," said Christine Chen, Google's senior manager for free expression. "This happened in Syria last November and in Egypt during the Arab Spring."

Cause undetermined

It is virtually impossible to definitely determine the cause of such disruptions unless a party claims responsibility, experts said.

Jim Cowie, chief technology officer at Renesys, a US company that tracks global Internet traffic, said the outage looked similar to the one seen last November.

"We don't see any effects in neighbouring countries, and we don't see anything to suggest that the outage was caused by damage to one or another of the several cables that connect Syria with the outside world," he said.

The vast majority of websites within Syria were rendered unreachable as well, other experts said, as the county appeared to shut itself off.

As during Arab Spring disruptions, Google said its Speak2Tweet service, which broadcasts voice messages, was up and running in Syria for people with access to a phone.

Syrian authorities have cut phone and Internet service in select areas in the past to disrupt rebel communication when regime forces are conducting major operations.

It is funny how DRUDGEREPORT and INFOWARS were suspected of Malware by goole and today, Syria has been cut off from the internet.

""We've seen this twice before," said Christine Chen, Google's senior manager for free expression. "This happened in Syria last November and in Egypt during the Arab Spring."

"It is virtually impossible to definitely determine the cause of such disruptions unless a party claims responsibility, experts said. "

I could come up with a couple conclusions and as to why their internet was cut off but they would just be crack pot ideas.
To me it just shows how far corporations will go to control information and the public.

I hope I am not the only one who can see this connection.

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 02:30 AM
link   
reply to post by whatzshaken

What makes you suspect that it is Google cutting off the internet? This was being reported last night before Google even made this statement.
edit on 8/5/13 by Todzer because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 02:33 AM
link   

I'm guessing it was cut off for military purposes...but which military theirs, ours, or some other country, is the mystery...IMO

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 02:35 AM
link   
Google doesn't control the internet. Google cannot cut-off internet services nor can they cut-off cell phone service which is also down according to some reports.

The malware warnings resulted from an actual hack and insertion of malware.

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 02:55 AM
link   
We have found in the UK that the BBC is poor at any type of news event on TV/Radio this last few weeks, it is heaverly controled by government now, eg if a terrorist kills anyone in Syria it don't make UK news, but if a Syrian soldia kill's a terrorist it makes BBC news for 5 days first item on.
The same goes for Sky UK now, if you want true news Russia Today is the only service worth looking at.

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 06:01 AM
link   

Hmm It was not my understanding that Google had any control over the border gateway protocol, seeing as it's existed long before google as a company was formed.

Oh, and in case you were confused, my understanding is correct. Someone has cut Syria off, for the most part, from the internet, google has no ability to do that.

All google could do would be to block Syrian hosted search results. That's literally it.

You DO understand that google doesn't control the internet, right? You do understand they are just a big ass company with a lot of web directed services, they can not modify dns or bgp.

edit on 8-5-2013 by phishyblankwaters because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 07:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by shells4u

I'm guessing it was cut off for military purposes...but which military theirs, ours, or some other country, is the mystery...IMO

Good point, maybe a military that is testing their ability to shut down the net, targeting Syria because it has/had a reasonable internet infrastructure and there are so many countries to blame that they wouldn't be suspected?

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Todzer

What makes you suspect that it is Google cutting off the internet? This was being reported last night before Google even made this statement.
edit on 8/5/13 by Todzer because: (no reason given)

Because google owns the interwebs innit.

They even own bing. I just made that up.

*shakes fist at googles*

It saddens me that with so much information at our fingertips people relish in ignorance.

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

I know what you mean, I seriously presume that some people just see Google as their homepage and think "oh this must be the crowd that owns the internet". I tried asking why they thought it was Google and the OP seems to have scampered, no reason why they think it was Google, just it was them

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Bilderberg 2.0

So now its being reported that Google is partnering with Bilderberg. The elites who are behind the "strings" that pull the puppets.

Although this does not directly answer the question as to why I believe Google was behind Syria being cut off from the internet because Google is just a search engine what this does mean and show, is how these elites work.

They are trying to control you.

‘Illegal we do immediately; unconstitutional takes a little longer’: Kissinger in new mass WikiLeaks document release

RT leaks

To think outside the box you have to connect the dots. They don't want you to think for yourself, just ask Google

new topics

top topics

join