It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man arrested after plotting to rape, kill and eat child

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 10:27 PM
link   

daily.bhaskar.com

Dailybhaskar.com | May 07, 2013, 21:33PM IST
Article 
Massachusetts: A British man could end up in jail for 27 years after he admitted to plotting to rape, kill and eat a child in a dungeon inside his house.

Geoffrey Portway, 40, had a dungeon which was lined with sound-proofing material to filter sound.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.bbc.co.uk

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 10:27 PM
link   
It is very difficult for me to express my shock and disgust while
staying within the T&C
And I am not usually one for capital punishment but this person DOES NOT DESERVE TO BE ON THIS PLANET, i will leave it at that.

daily.bhaskar.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
gun and blunt knife sales just went up..

edit on 7-5-2013 by all2human because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Utterly appalling.

Here's another article: British man Geoffrey Portway admits plot to rape, murder and eat children in a dungeon beneath his US home.

Massachusetts, being a pretty liberal state, does not have the death penalty.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 10:52 PM
link   
S&F

So happens I just started listening to yesternight's C2CAM online and they're talking about Amanda Berry, something about being pregant from their captors over some 10 yrs of evading justice - in AMERICA

What is it about society (western society?) where theres so much ethics & morale freedom yet sickos are anything but a shortage of in the States?

edit on 7-5-2013 by below because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 11:24 PM
link   
reply to post by all2human

I swear, the human mind just becomes more perplexing every-single day.

reply to post by below

Originally posted by below
S&F

So happens I just started listening to yesternight's C2CAM online and they're talking about Amanda Berry, something about being pregant from their captors over some 10 yrs of evading justice - in AMERICA

What is it about society (western society?) where theres so much ethics & morale freedom yet sickos are anything but a shortage of in the States?

edit on 7-5-2013 by below because: (no reason given)

The article states that the man is British, btw.(I know that's considered western as well.) But yes, it just goes to show you... while most Americans adhere to a basic moral code, and take pride in our freedom of expression... 1/10 of us will lure children into their dungeon, and eat them.

edit on 7-5-2013 by iunlimited491 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 11:40 PM
link   
I'd throw in a joke but it may come off as inappropriate
the story is so friggin outrageous
thank god they caught the guy,a little cannibalism can ruin your day.

edit on 7-5-2013 by all2human because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 11:51 PM
link   
What kind of mind freak to you have to be to think that devouring another human sounds appealing?
Do they just wake up one day craving a man and cheese sandwich?

Let this be a reminder that you never know who your neighbors really are. One of us on ATS most likely has a crazy neighbor...or maybe you're the crazy neighbor.

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 12:19 AM
link   
reply to post by TheLieWeLive

when they want you over for dinner,think twice

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 12:44 AM
link   
This is absolutely disgusting on so many levels. And I've heard it said on ATS so many times "Evil doesn't exist. There's no such thing as evil!"

Yeah...Right.

What else could make a person into an abominable monster like this? Genetics? Psychological damage? Yeah, but you can't tell me evil isn't part of the equation.
edit on 8-5-2013 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Ok, the guy is a sicko, no doubt...but I can't help but key in on the fact that he was arrested for PLANNING a crime, and that any PLAN would net you 27 years? This could be one MAJOR slippery slope if you stop and think about it. As a kid in High School, I PLANNED world domination theories. Can I now be arrested for such PLANNING? See what I mean?

Granted, he certainly gave all evidence that he was all but ready to implement this plan, but still, from a legal standpoint, such a sentencing would set a very dangerous precedent. No doubt this sicko was stopped from actually harming someone, but I have to wonder what this could mean for trumping up charges in the future?

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
Ok, the guy is a sicko, no doubt...but I can't help but key in on the fact that he was arrested for PLANNING a crime, and that any PLAN would net you 27 years? This could be one MAJOR slippery slope if you stop and think about it.

Um, this has been a facet of the American legal system for a long time. It's called Intent, and yes, you can go to prison for planning to do something which is illegal. What's the other option? Wait until he does rape, kill and eat someone before you arrest him?

Intention in Criminal Law

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

This confused me also. On the one hand i am pleased this sicko has been caught and that any potential victims are no longer in danger.

On the other hand though, how can you prosecute for something that hasn't happened? I realise as Adjensen said it is law but it just seems unfair and wrong somehow.

At the end of the day, to some extent, are we not all guilty of thinking about violent acts? For example, if you read about a horrible crime in the paper, you try to imagine the reality of the situation - that in turn means that you have thought about the crime. It doesn't mean by any stretch that you are thinking of carrying out such an act but you have still thought about the actual crime.

I love history, from all eras and civilizations. I have material at home on some terrible atrocities (Rape of Nanking as just one example). Does that mean i wish to implement my own version? Of course not. I am simply fascinated about our past.

Hmm, anyway, sorry to the OP for going off on a tangent (ish).

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

This guy went way beyond the planning stage. Sound-proofing a room shows ntent.

Someone might fantasize about killing their spouse, if they're shopping around for a hit man they've put their plan into action. If it's discovered they will be arrested/charged whether the act was carried out or not. Conspiracy to commit murder comes to mind.

Writing or talking about "world domination theories" is one thing, it's when you start building on those plans that it clearly shows intent. Just my opinion.

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Um, this has been a facet of the American legal system for a long time. It's called Intent, and yes, you can go to prison for planning to do something which is illegal. What's the other option? Wait until he does rape, kill and eat someone before you arrest him?

Certainly not.

I understand the facet of intent. What I don't get is that degree of sentencing for PLANNING. In THIS case, I'm glad for it (and hoping someone removes him while in prison), but my main point is about how this same principle (and jail time) could be applied to other, completely different cases. I suppose one main thing about this case is the confession, so coupled with the evidence, intent is certainly not difficult to prove. I'm happy this guy was caught before carrying out his plans, but just that we've seen how solutions that seem right in one case can be used to violate rights in other cases...and we have to be wary of that.

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
What I don't get is that degree of sentencing for PLANNING.

I suppose it would be the difference between saying to someone "wouldn't it be cool to rob a bank" and saying "I'm going to rob a bank, got me a gun and a getaway car." You probably wouldn't be arrested for the first (otherwise Quentin Tarantino would be in jail for life, lol,) but you probably would for the second, because you've taken steps to put your plan in action.

In the case of this guy, it sounds like he'd taken enough steps that he was beyond that "wouldn't it be cool to..." stage.

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by all2human

I don't understand how some people can be that abnormal and cruel

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 11:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Bekkles92

I always give the benifit of the doubt,mental disorders and so on but when it's about cruelty to children and animals there are zero excuses,sicko's have always existed in the world some not as obvious as others.
edit on 8-5-2013 by all2human because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 03:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flavian
reply to post by Gazrok

This confused me also. On the one hand i am pleased this sicko has been caught and that any potential victims are no longer in danger.

On the other hand though, how can you prosecute for something that hasn't happened? I realise as Adjensen said it is law but it just seems unfair and wrong somehow.

At the end of the day, to some extent, are we not all guilty of thinking about violent acts? For example, if you read about a horrible crime in the paper, you try to imagine the reality of the situation - that in turn means that you have thought about the crime. It doesn't mean by any stretch that you are thinking of carrying out such an act but you have still thought about the actual crime.

I love history, from all eras and civilizations. I have material at home on some terrible atrocities (Rape of Nanking as just one example). Does that mean i wish to implement my own version? Of course not. I am simply fascinated about our past.

Hmm, anyway, sorry to the OP for going off on a tangent (ish).

Indeed...there are probably many actually thinking what they could do to this person (intention)...I'm sure there's more evidence that goes along with this...even apart from 'silenced rooms'...a scenario could always be advanced that accoutrements were part of a movie set for an amateur movie...Taking out car insurance against accidents could be construed as planning to have an accident...

...sickness just the same...

Å99
edit on 9-5-2013 by akushla99 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 08:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

In Au conspiracy to commit carries a long sentence than the actual act sometimes.

sickening to read ... hopefully they will apply the maximum sentence to keep this one off the street for good!

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 08:13 AM
link   
reply to post by adjensen

You probably wouldn't be arrested for the first (otherwise Quentin Tarantino would be in jail for life, lol,) but you probably would for the second, because you've taken steps to put your plan in action.

Agreed, but more than a couple of decades for PLANNING?

In this particular case, I'd prefer a death sentence for this sicko, but I guess I was just a bit shocked at the amount of time one could get for planning a crime with intent.

new topics

top topics

join