It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did they find Atlantis today?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 01:48 AM
link   
reply to post by frankky

Part of me wonders if Atlantis is somehwere off planet earth...

Hypothetical -
What if the Atlantis civilization came from Mars? One could argue the ark is a space ship... The story of animals 2 by 2 being brought along could be explained by using stored DNA samples and not live animals.

Pillars of Hercules - Maybe Earth and the asteroid belt (which was theorized to be another planet)? It would place Mars, and by extension the Atlanian civilization, in between those pillars. Space could be viewed as an ocean...

Phobos... Earths Moon... Maybe they are Arks...

Theories aside.. Does anyone have any more information about the lost city off the cost of Cuba?

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 02:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hopechest
reply to post by Phayte

I'd love to find Atlantis and hopefully it does exist but as a person that looks at all the evidence I have to believe that at this point its probably unlikely it ever existed.

Its always wonderful to find new and ancient things though so that in and of itself is great news.

Might I remind you and the other Atlantis nay-sayers that proclaim Atlantis is a myth, story, fable, that a little less then 150 years ago, the city of Troy was considered a myth til Heinrich Schliemann found it
Troy

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 07:57 AM
link   
I might remind people that this article is a perfect example of bad science and bad journalism.
The formation of the Atlantic ocean goes back 130 million years. So if the rocks are from the break up of a previous super continent, as the article states , then it,can't be Atlantis.
Also granite is an intrusive rock it pushes its way up into overlaying rocks from below, and has nothing to due with continents but has something to do with vulcanism. Usually by the time the the granite comes to the surface the volcanoes have long since eroded away.
edit on 8-5-2013 by punkinworks10 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 09:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Hanslune

Yes - as you say - the story is about ROCKS.
But you are here so much longer than I so I suppose that you don't assume the "Atlanteans" will listen?
Or IS there any hope - when they found a bone they can chew on - to garner someone's attention for the original message?

I would appreciate any advice how to deal with such a situation of "denied ignorance".

Just stay away from such "discussions"?
Isn't fighting ignorance what is meant by that motto?
I'm confused.

A

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by olliemc84

"Remember back in medieval times when people were dead set on the fact that the earth was flat, because of a lack of significant evidence?"

I think the above is considered a modern day myth, promoted in the past by organised religion.

Ancient navigators were aware of the fact that the Earth was spherical in nature. Check out this link.

gateoftruth.blogspot.co.uk...
edit on 8-5-2013 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Uhmmm.... Did any of you guys see on ATS about 2 days ago.. Heff~ Tested a new forum. The forum name was in regards to a new TV show finding Atlantis...

Just sayin...

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Someone please correct me if I am wrong, as this post may come off as chiding...

Anyhow, I do not see any possible way these archaeologists/geologists can KNOW when this land mass actually sank.
They are speculating.
The field of archaeology is the biggest joke of a scientific discipline on the planet.

So they speculate it sank ''millions of years ago'' and when people start to wonder if it could be the legendary Atlantis, you get nay sayer 'archaeologist' types riding in here on their high horses shouting down anyone who would dare make a suggestion and even the man who made the discovery itself.

Based on conjecture.
It would be funny if it didn't come across as complete self righteousness.

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by frankky

Did they find Atlantis today?

No, I don't think so. This area has been under water for millions of years. Atlantis, if all the evidence is correct and my interpretations aren't too faulty, existed between 10-15 thousand years ago. My guess is that it was located on the Atlantic side of what was then known as the Pillars of Hercules where today the north point is known as Gibraltar.

My suspicion is that at the end of the last ice age as the ocean levels rose, there was a cataclysmic breach between the Mediterranean and the Atlantic, whereas prior, there was likely a fully connected land bridge. All that was Atlantis was washed away as the Atlantic broke through and rushed into the Mediterranean basin.

There is some geologic evidence to support this theory but... unfortunately, due to the level of destruction, not a lot to support that Atlantis existed upon it.

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 12:32 PM
link   
What of the Cuban city 5000 feet down under the water?
The Bimini Road?
The evidence is far from being all in yet.
Atlantis may be a story that came out of the rising sea levels of the ice age ending.
Yonoguni, Easter Island, Sunken cities off the Indian coast.....
Obviously the possibility is there.....Atlantis may not be a myth just yet.....

Not to forget the Portugese and the Azores and the wierd history attributed to the Basques etc....

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by olliemc84
reply to post by Hopechest

Remember back in medieval times when people were dead set on the fact that the earth was flat, because of a lack of significant evidence?

Boy were they wrong.

That belief was based on scientific proof at the time albeit incorrectly.

Atlantis is not based on proof but by a story told by a philosopher who is known for embellishing his points with fanciful tales.

I hardly think they are the same thing.

Yea that is a valid enough reason...

What about Troy, Machu Picchu, Helike, Ur, Petra, Dwarka, Angkor, Pi-Ramesses, Memphis, Great Zimbabwe and the list goes on and on of ancient cities once thought to be mere myths and legends. Almost every year there are new discoveries of ancient sites that were only mentioned in myths and legends which means we should not dismiss what was written just because we weren't there to see it happen.

Plato was not the only person to mention Atlantis in history, he was just one of the few individuals who gave a detailed account of the city and it's layout which he got from older sources. Many ancient cultures have had stories that mention Atlantis.

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lostmymarbles

Originally posted by olliemc84
reply to post by Hopechest

Remember back in medieval times when people were dead set on the fact that the earth was flat, because of a lack of significant evidence?

Boy were they wrong.

That belief was based on scientific proof at the time albeit incorrectly.

Atlantis is not based on proof but by a story told by a philosopher who is known for embellishing his points with fanciful tales.

I hardly think they are the same thing.

What about Troy, Machu Picchu, Helike, Ur, Petra, Dwarka, Angkor, Pi-Ramesses, Memphis, Great Zimbabwe and the list goes on and on of ancient cities once thought to be mere myths and legends. Almost every year there are new discoveries of ancient sites that were only mentioned in myths and legends which means we should not dismiss what was written just because we weren't there to see it happen.

Plato was not the only person to mention Atlantis in history, he was just one of the few individuals who gave a detailed account of the city and it's layout which he got from older sources. Many ancient cultures have had stories that mention Atlantis.

This post I quoted for truth, great post dude.

I agree Atlantis may one day fall apon those thought lost/mythological, yet that day has not come, all we have is hundreds of reports of cities underwater, floods destroying cities and thousands of theories woven into some strange giant ball of fact and horse$

All these underwater cities cannot be 'Atlantis' something even bigger than the idea of finding Atlantis could be on the horizon of coming to light.

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 02:31 PM
link   

reply to post by Phayte

I'd love to find Atlantis and hopefully it does exist but as a person that looks at all the evidence I have to believe that at this point its probably unlikely it ever existed.

Its always wonderful to find new and ancient things though so that in and of itself is great news.

I would have to concur. I'm leaning to it never existing.

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lostmymarbles

The problem with your examples of cities found above is that in the case of Atlantis its not just the city that cannot be found it's the entire civilization, in the examples you stated we know and have extensive archaeological records of those cultures and civilizations - for the civilization of Atlantis there is absolutely nothing.

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by redoubt

My suspicion is that at the end of the last ice age as the ocean levels rose, there was a cataclysmic breach between the Mediterranean and the Atlantic, whereas prior, there was likely a fully connected land bridge. All that was Atlantis was washed away as the Atlantic broke through and rushed into the Mediterranean basin.

There is some geologic evidence to support this theory but... unfortunately, due to the level of destruction, not a lot to support that Atlantis existed upon it.

Zanclean flood theory 5m+years ago

The breech

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Its highly unlikely that Plato was talking about an actual thing when he described Atlantis.

Oh? I see...

Remember that in his book The Republic, he was talking about justice and describing what a Just City would look like.

Remember that Plato didn't write about Atlantis in his dialogue The Republic. He wrote about it in his dialogues "Timaeus" and the unfinished "Critias".

It really doesn't add up any way you look at it.

Tho I agree Atlantis is probably not real. There is no shortage of ancient and modern scholors or historians who do not agree.

Including- The philosopher Crantor, (student of Plato's student Xenocrates).

Including- The ancient historians/philosophers Strabo and Posidonius.

Now in your defense, it is often warned that Plato was a liar and used fabrication within his historic accounts and a reader must be wary. Also in your defense, crackpots like Blavatsky and Cayce were big spreaders of Atlantis foolery.

But lets not forget that The City of Troy was considered by all to be a fictional myth by scholars worldwide until the late 1860s when it was discovered.

There may be no "Atlantis" but almost every civilization of ancient times has a myth or historic record of a great civilization of "advanced minded" people, who lost their civilization to disaster.

Some folks, not all crazy either, believe there is a lost chapter in the history of civilization.

The Dark Ages destroyed almost ALL works of importance, forever erasing much scientific and/or historic information.

Not saying Atlantis is real...just saying you sound like someone talking about Troy in 1865...3 years before it was discovered.

MM
edit on 8-5-2013 by Mr Mask because: (no reason given)

edit on 8-5-2013 by Mr Mask because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 06:23 PM
link   
PS- to the OP, S&F!

Love discoveries, Atlantis or not Atlantis!

MM

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 06:37 PM
link   

reply to post by Phayte

Recall that just a few years back, people said the same thing about the city of Troy.

Just sayin'

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mr Mask

But lets not forget that The City of Troy was considered by all to be a fictional myth by scholars worldwide until the late 1860s when it was discovered.

Nope many considered it a real place the Roman's certainly did - as historically that is where they traced their ancestory too. They use to send tours there. I can offer up no percentage as to who thought Troy was real or not but when Schliemann* showed up Calvert was already there.

There may be no "Atlantis" but almost every civilization of ancient times has a myth or historic record of a great civilization of "advanced minded" people, who lost their civilization to disaster.

Not exactly correct

Some folks, not all crazy either, believe there is a lost chapter in the history of civilization.

The Dark Ages destroyed almost ALL works of importance, forever erasing much scientific and/or historic information.

It doesn't erase archaeological data and we are able to find plentiful artifacts and information on people and cultures going back hundreds of thousands of years - millions if you like- but it gets rather thin back that far!

Not saying Atlantis is real...just saying you sound like someone talking about Troy in 1865...3 years before it was discovered.

...who wasn't a classical scholar who had read what the Roman's had written about the city...which to them was real because they had been to it.

* He didn't actually find the right layer of the mound that was Troy anyway

edit on 8/5/13 by Hanslune because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Some of the cities that I mentioned were in fact also the entire civilizations, think of city-states. A city back in those ancient times was at times also the entire ethnic race, which had their own king who only ruled that city and the surrounding territory. There were some kings who wanted more and created empires and countless cities but that was not always the case. For example, Sparta had one king and was an entire civilization that lived in one city.

We cannot be for certain if Atlantis was an entire empire or just one city. Which is part of the mystery. The legends state that Atlantis was part of a collection of kingdoms, each kingdom consisting of a city from which had their own king who ruled their own city and conveyed in a council of kings on matters that could affect them all. So there could be many cities and Atlantis could have been either the continent or the most powerful city of that area.

Think of it like ancient China before Qin conquered all the kingdoms or like how the ancient Greeks lived with many city-states each consisting of a king who fought amongst themselves or as the story of Troy, followed the lead of a head king.

Anything is possible but the main point is that we should not dismiss myths and legends simply because we don't believe in it or want to believe in it.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 12:40 AM
link   

Not to split too many hairs.....but the Romans notion of history tends to be a "results may vary" issue. They are known to embellish, like all other cultures. However, in some ways they were more prone to embellisment. Esspecially when it comes to mythologizing. While they had many western traits, they still were firmly in the realm of the superstitious.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join