It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ray Harryhausen, Special-Effects Legend, Dies at 92

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Ray Harryhausen, Special-Effects Legend, Dies at 92

Ray Harryhausen, the stop-motion animation legend whose work on "The Beast From 20,000 Fathoms," "Jason and the Argonauts" and other science fiction and fantasy film classics made him a cult figure who inspired later generations of filmmakers and special-effects artists, has died. He was 92.

Harryhausen died Tuesday in London, where he had lived for decades. His death was confirmed by Kenneth Kleinberg, his longtime legal representative in the United States.

In the pre-computer-generated-imagery era in which he worked, Harryhausen used the painstaking process of making slight adjustments to the position of his three-dimensional, ball-and-socket-jointed scale models and then shooting them frame-by-frame to create the illusion of movement. Footage of his exotic beasts and creatures was later often combined with live action.

. . .

Ray Harryhausen pioneered stop-motion animation, creating classics such as 'The Beast From 20,000 Fathoms,' and 'The 7th Voyage of Sinbad.' Without his work, 'there never would have been a "Star Wars" or a "Jurassic Park,''' Steven Spielberg said.

I was a big fan of his work growing up as a kid.
He did it all, from the initial conceptual drawings, the design and sculpting of the monster models, the building of the armatures, the painting the backdrop images, to the painstaking, frame by frame stop motion animation.
Ray Harryhausen was truly a film genius.

The things he was able to do were truly magical, awe inspiring and watching the final product on the silver screen was simply amazing.

A Hollywood Tribute is definitely in order.

Source: LA Times - Ray Harryhausen Dies

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Alxandro

Passing of a legend. Before computer animation and digital cameras, there was film and stop motion photography. His stuff was the best. In those days monsters were hokey, you wore a suit or drew a cartoon. Ray Harryhausen changed all that. And nobody could do it as well as he...

edit on 7-5-2013 by intrptr because: embed

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrptr

2:12 = Wilhelm scream.

Edit - hey, why would a skeleton scream, anyway?

edit on 7-5-2013 by alfa1 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

Edit - hey, why would a skeleton scream, anyway?

The undead, risen by sorcerers magic, impossible to kill and filled with a murderous desire. How do you kill the dead, anyway? I remember this most from him. It was pure screaming Saturday afternoon horror.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 06:29 PM
link   
This bit from Sinbad, along with other select media, sent me on a literary and experiential journey that continues to this day.

When I was a soldier, before YouTube, we used to take the T.V. in the barracks and put on Jason and The Argonauts (VHS) cued to the skeleton fight, we would then turn down the volume, and then crank up Metallica on a boombox and then start the tape.

R.I.P. Mr. Harryhausen, you will be missed for sure.

edit on 7-5-2013 by Bybyots because: .

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 06:52 PM
link   
RIP Ray, Your movies were awesome and you led the pack. Most of the kids won't remember your movies but I will never forget them. Thanks for bringing so many of us so much fun.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 08:37 PM
link   
The father of stop motion animation, you'll be missed

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Mamatus

Same here. I happened on this. I had no idea he did all these. They were our inspiration for many hours of outdoor "play monsters" fun.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 09:47 PM
link   
One of my all time favorites..

R.I.P my friend..

you were the best!!!!!!!

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 06:46 AM
link   
My whole reason for staying away from the Barbies and spending half my childhood crafting plastercine monsters. R.I.P.

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 06:48 AM
link   
amazing stuff CGIs got nothing on this guys work

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Ray's stuff was magic. I swear it transcends cinema and special effects. I saw 20 Million Miles To Earth when I was 5 years old. It blew my mind. I will always love the films he worked on.

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 01:50 PM
link   
We've lost another legend. Man, but his legacy lives on...just sheer genius.

top topics

join