It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bad news at the grill as beef prices hit all-time high

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 01:34 AM
link   
Futures prices for Live Cattle are 10% off of their highs from earlier this year (the result of herd liquidation last year after the drought caused the price of feed to skyrocket). Expect wholesale prices to plateau between Memorial Day and the 4th of July and tank after Labor Day.

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 04:43 AM
link   
reply to post by tinker9917

Our family buys a calf or two each year (we live in the country) and feed it out the way we want...Its WORTH it because we fill our freezers with beef (sometimes I raise my own chicken too) and we have good beef all year long. I KNOW what is in my beef..

If possible get a friend or neighbor to "go halves" on a calf and they raise it... you share the cost of feed and butcher.. this works since you can't raise beef in the city... (I find that already butchered country grass fed beef is too tough and stringy for my taste.. I prefer corn fed beef)

Do you know "hamburger" at city grocery stores are anything that isn't rotten? Beef/pork or even chicken scraps all go into a barrel.. ooouuuuuhh gross! I wont eat store bought food and we DON'T eat out either

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 07:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by bluestar.ranch
reply to post by tinker9917

Do you know "hamburger" at city grocery stores are anything that isn't rotten? Beef/pork or even chicken scraps all go into a barrel.. ooouuuuuhh gross! I wont eat store bought food and we DON'T eat out either

And here I thought hamburger was just beef scraps... but this doesn't surprise me. Just one more reason not to buy it in the store

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 07:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by CosmicCitizen
Futures prices for Live Cattle are 10% off of their highs from earlier this year (the result of herd liquidation last year after the drought caused the price of feed to skyrocket). Expect wholesale prices to plateau between Memorial Day and the 4th of July and tank after Labor Day.

I'd say this is possible only if there not another severe drought this year.

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 08:33 AM
link   
everyone not concerned about the price hike is how and why they get away with it.. buying locally, anything, is the real answer if possible but if we pay the higher prices in our local big chain grocery store while walking out of the store mumbling under our breath about how mad we are then they'll just keep raising the price.

when asked how i like my steak my answer is... "just knock the horns off of it then run it through a warm room!" haha.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 07:35 AM
link   
greedy ass corporations

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 07:48 AM
link   
The prices for my breeder bulls and heifers have seasonally adjusted and being 7 inches above normal for rain fall in 13 has helped with pasture problems. Another cold front this weekend will delay corn planting again. Still to wet to get in the field here.

Of course, food and fuel have been removed from the inflationary index so beef could go to $20 lbs and the media will still shout how great things are-buy some more stock with the FEDs free money.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by wantsome

this is what I want to do to, I used to fish and hunt a lot as a teen, but got busy and moved out of the country and into a more urban area for work. I've been researching my area and found out I have two very large state game areas in my area, so Im gonna snag my license soon and start fishin again. The wife doesn't care much for fish though so probably gonna have to do some small game hunting to.

right now we are living off of chicken and pork both of which i get for pretty cheap by shopping around. Went to my local restaurant supply store yesterday and picked up a 40# box of chicken breasts for 1.90 a pound. All the big box stores around me have chicken for about 4 bucks a pound so its a great savings, takes me and my wife about a half hour to break it all down into 8 oz portions.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Cargill Meat Plants have closed at least two plants "temporarily" because stocks in the areas around them are so low. It would cost them too much to ship them in from other areas, so they closed down. They say they'll reopen when stocks rise again, but we'll see. A lot of the stockyards I go past aren't nearly as full as they were last summer/early fall.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 02:03 AM
link   
reply to post by bigcountry08

Fishing and hunting's the way to go if you know how to do it. I've been fishing the great lakes my entire life. I can keep up to 5 salmon a day or up 50 perch a day. I had so much fish last autumn I couldn't eat it all. I was giving it away to family and friends. A salmon filet at a fish market in my area goes for $30 that's half a salmon. I catch 5 salmon that's 10 filet's.

The great lakes are one of this nations biggest natural assets. It saddens me deeply to know it's all going to end soon with the big head and silver carp invasion. Fishing's more then a sport to me it's a way of life

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join