It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The nation of Syria is disconnected from the Internet again

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 04:09 PM
link   

The nation of Syria is disconnected from the Internet again

thenextweb.com

On Tuesday, all Internet connections between Syria and the outside world were severed. It’s currently unclear if the outage is an accident, part of a short test (as the country has performed in the past), or a longer attempt to censor citizens.

Umbrella Security Labs first reported that OpenDNS resolvers saw a significant drop in traffic from Syria at around 18:45 UTC. On closer inspection, the security firm discovered that Syria had largely disappeared from the Internet.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 04:09 PM
link   
this is not a good sign,

when ever a country blocks the net something bad is about to happen.

its unknown if this was a test or weather it is an intentional take down of the net for what ever reason.

i thing to remember is that when the net gets blocked governments will fall.

this is something that is unacceptable in the internet age, people have to be able to communicate.

thenextweb.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

They may be trying to hide something by cutting it off, or this has something to do with Israel.

May be they are preventing Israel from doing any cyber attacks on them. After all Israel has been know to do that.

-SAP-
edit on 7-5-2013 by SloAnPainful because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

It was me!

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by SloAnPainful
reply to post by XPLodER

They may be trying to hide something by cutting it off, or this has something to do with Israel.

May be they are preventing Israel from doing any cyber attacks on them. After all Israel has been know to do that.

-SAP-
edit on 7-5-2013 by SloAnPainful because: (no reason given)

the internet allows news to get out that is not covered by the msn
it makes me wonder who benefits from this?

xploder

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by soulpowertothendegree
reply to post by XPLodER

It was me!

i am now wondering how you managed to pull the plug?
there is no easy way to pull the plug

xploder

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

Right. At this point I think only Assad's gov't will get anything out of this. Who know what he's up to. He could be plotting something on Israel and doesn't want that leak to get out.

Or it could be on the rebels. Either way it's hard to guess what he's up to.

-SAP-

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by SloAnPainful

Very good point!!!

I kind of have to agree with you on that statement.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by SloAnPainful
reply to post by XPLodER

Right. At this point I think only Assad's gov't will get anything out of this. Who know what he's up to. He could be plotting something on Israel and doesn't want that leak to get out.

Or it could be on the rebels. Either way it's hard to guess what he's up to.

-SAP-

you bring up a good point Israel could benefit from the loss of communications,
i heard they have attacked siria, do you think its connected?

xploder

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 04:37 PM
link   
I wonder if we can get someone with a Sat. Phone online and feed us some info. Anyone got any contacts in their?

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 04:41 PM
link   
update on how,

Update: 1:28 p.m. PDT
There have been numerous incidents where access to and from the Internet in Syria was shut down. Shutting down Internet access to and from Syria is achieved by withdrawing the BGP routes from Syrian prefixes. The graph below shows the sudden drop in visibility for Syrian network prefixes.

How it happened:
Routing on the Internet relies on the Border Gateway Protocol (BGP). BGP distributes routing information and makes sure all routers on the Internet know how to get to a certain IP address. When an IP range becomes unreachable it will be withdrawn from BGP, this informs routers that the IP range is no longer reachable.

labs.umbrella.com...

looks like they killed BGP
Border Gateway Protocol

Border Gateway Protocol (BGP) is the protocol which is used to make core routing decisions on the Internet; it involves a table of IP networks or "prefixes" which designate network reachability among autonomous systems (AS). BGP is a path vector protocol or a variant of a Distance-vector routing protocol. BGP does not involve traditional Interior Gateway Protocol (IGP) metrics, but routing decisions are made based on path, network policies and/or rule-sets. For this reason, it is more appropriately termed a reachability protocol rather than routing protocol.

en.wikipedia.org...

xploder

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Maybe Israel was ticked off at the Syrians and decided to eliminate their internet capabilities shortly before they destroy them.
edit on 7-5-2013 by soulpowertothendegree because: (no reason given)

edit on 7-5-2013 by soulpowertothendegree because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 05:09 PM
link   
This happened before and nothing happened, my guess is this is the work of the government for whatever reason.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Israel has does this sort of thing frequently, so I'd not be surprised if this wasn't to keep any atrocities out of the news.

Or it could be Assad.

Flip a coin.
M.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

Yes I do think they are connected. I wouldn't think Israel would cut them off... But with this you just never know. Israel has been known to do shady stuff in the past so I wouldn't rule it out.

-SAP-

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 05:42 PM
link   
I'm wondering if this has anything to do with Russia and the US talking about breaking up the country. Assad may be losing his regime's strongest backer (Russia) in the coming hours/days.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Not everything is cut off,if there is a will ,there is a way......

twitter.com...

+46850009990
+492317299993
+4953160941030
User:telecomix
password: telecomix
#Syria #Dialup

edit on 7-5-2013 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by kdog1982
Not everything is cut off,if there is a will ,there is a way......

twitter.com...

+46850009990
+492317299993
+4953160941030
User:telecomix
password: telecomix
#Syria #Dialup

edit on 7-5-2013 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

AOL was behind it the whole time!

In all seriousness, this info won't be disseminated nearly enough (it's available on Twitter...you would need internet access to begin with in order to get the dial up #/other info).

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by angryjaimen

They still have landlines open and word of mouth will carry it further than you think.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Seems to me the net was shut down to keep any news from coming OUT of Syria.If so yes something big is brewing.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join