It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA quietly moving forward on "quiet boom" aircraft

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 03:28 PM
link   
NASA is moving towards their goal of flying the first "quiet sonic boom" aircraft by the end of the decade. This would prove windtunnel tests, and would have the ultimate goal of the FAA removing the supersonic flight restriction over populated areas.

Both Boeing, and Lockheed Skunk Works are moving forward with designs for a Concorde sized airliner, that would have a sine waved shaped sonic boom on the ground, with an 80 PLdB rating as opposed to 105 PLdB from the Concorde.

By altering the shape of the boom into a sine wave shape (through fuselage shaping and other techniques), people on the ground will hear a quiet swoosh sound, as opposed to the double boom heard by the classic N shaped waves from the traditional sonic boom.

Phase 2 of the program will look at how inlets, exhaust, and other features affect the shockwave. Boeing has produced a 1.79% scale model for windtunnel testing that is rather interesting looking.

NASA continues to make steady progress towards the possible launch of a low-boom supersonic demonstrator program* later this decade. This would take boom-shaping techniques proved in the windtunnel and test them in the real world to gauge the public acceptance of shaped booms.

The goal is to reduce boom annoyance to a level where regulators can be persuaded to lift the ban on supersonic flight over land. Previous windtunnel work has shown that careful shaping of the aircraft can get the sonic boom for a small supersonic airliner down to what NASA believes is the threshold of acceptability.

Under Phase 2 of the so-called N+2 system-level experimental validation program, Boeing and Lockheed Martin’s Skunk Works are continuing work on small airliner concepts that are about the capacity and range of Concorde, but with dramatically quieter sonic booms – around 80 PLdB versus 105 PLdB.

And the shockwave signature observed on the ground would be more of a sine wave, resulting in a muted whoosh rather than the traditional double bang generated by the classic N-wave boom signature, with its sharp pressure rises caused by the powerful bow and tail shocks.

AvWeek

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Cool post Zaphod.

Living close to an airport i get to see planes all day long.
And I love seeing new designs.

But that model reminds me of the macros v2 lightning.

Cool though.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Does this mean the aerospace industry is going to dump the new physics of the triangles to go back to good, old-fashioned aircraft?

Bad joke, eh, conventionalists?

[
edit on 7-5-2013 by Aliensun because: Freudian slip, I had typed "dumb" instead, of "dump" ...on second thought....

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Pretty awesome.

I always like to see when we advance technology some.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Aliensun

You know, it's truly amazing. The "triangles" are supposed to be some ultra secret black project, yet unlike EVERY black project before them the Air Force is flying them low over cities, with thousands of witnesses, defying the laws of physics in front of people, the supposed specifications for them are all over the net, but when you ask anyone that works in the industry, no one has ever heard of them, including people who would tell me if they had.

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 01:54 AM
link   
I can already see airline economists sweating over what each flight will cost versus the number of passengers seated. It's neat, though, that behind the scenes these companies are still moving forward with some of the most difficult design problems out there. The real challenge is going to be to shake off the Concorde's noise reputation and get these things in the air without being hamstrung by governing body regulations.

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Do we really need a supersonic airliner?Not that i dont think its neato.......
Theres so much real need to design for in the world....
Crikey im getting tired of # that just expends resources and does nothing but go faster.
Surely theres better use for the dough.....whats NASA doing in the airline business anyways?
things are farcial enough as it is.

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

They have to make this for the people that cry about hearing a sonic boom from aircraft? People are such vagines....

I love hearing the sonic boom, I think it is an awesome sound and very invigorating......

Good post and I love technology advances, but people need to stop crying

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
reply to post by Aliensun

You know, it's truly amazing. The "triangles" are supposed to be some ultra secret black project, yet unlike EVERY black project before them the Air Force is flying them low over cities, with thousands of witnesses, defying the laws of physics in front of people, the supposed specifications for them are all over the net, but when you ask anyone that works in the industry, no one has ever heard of them, including people who would tell me if they had.

Care to humor us with an elaboration?

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by weavty1

I pretty much said it.
I know a few people that work in the black world, and know about a lot of projects, many of which they aren't supposed to know about. None of them have ever heard of the triangles, but if you look up the TR-3B, every single supposed detail is all over the net, to a ridiculous level of information. Especially if it really did exist as a Special Access Program.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Chrisfishenstein

I love a good sonic boom too, but it's not just about people crying over them. A sonic boom has a real chance of causing physical damage on the ground, and injuries to peoples hearing.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by stirling

Do we need a super sonic airliner?
No.
Do we want one badly?
Yes. Haha

What's money anyways? It's all fake at any rate.
I am glad ANY time money is spent on Science.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

Good point.
There are planes out there that at full burner would cause major damage in a city.

This is cool stuff.

new topics

top topics

join