It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

R.I.P. Ray Harryhausen - movie effects legend dead at 92

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Breaking news.

Special effects master on fantasy films including Jason and the Argonauts and Clash of the Titans dies at the age of 92.Easily one of the most innovative film makers in the history of Hollywood

R.I.P Ray Harryhausen.

www.guardian.co.uk...

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by MisterMiyagi

Wow, I'm surprised the old guy was still alive. He'd made a thousand movies before I was even born--and I'm 62.

Well, he deserves a rest....

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 03:28 PM
link   
He was awesome! And funny I can look at those movies now and laugh and I know my kid does but I swear it seemed real to me when I was younger!

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by abeverage
He was awesome! And funny I can look at those movies now and laugh and I know my kid does but I swear it seemed real to me when I was younger!

No kidding. When I was a kid those crappy effects could keep me awake with light on well into the wee hours. And that was even after my older brothers had told me how it was done--not that I believed them....

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by abeverage

The skeleton fight sequence in Jason and the Argonauts was one of my favourite movie scenes during my early childhood and well into my teens.

Magical, exciting and simply unforgettable, even after all these years.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by MisterMiyagi
reply to post by abeverage

The skeleton fight sequence in Jason and the Argonauts was one of my favourite movie scenes during my early childhood and well into my teens.

Magical, exciting and simply unforgettable, even after all these years.

Exactly--one of the scenes I was referring to. Scared the bejeebus out of me....

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 04:57 PM
link   
i really did love his work.

i still do...I loved this type of animation. I still think it's scarier than some effects we use now.
edit on 7-5-2013 by spacedoubt because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 08:12 AM
link   
reply to post by MisterMiyagi

He was a great friend of Ray Bradbury, and we lost him not too long ago as well. If I recall, Harryhausen had a very good collection of old movie props. Thanks, this is the first I've seen of this sad news (I check the "Life in legacy" website every couple of weeks to see who has died that I may have missed).

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 08:36 AM
link   
My heart sank a little when i saw the news in yesterday's paper... Jason and the Argonauts will be a classic for ever if you ask me, and as soon as it's on telly next i cant wait to sit through it with my boy. if he does not enjoy it, he can sleep in the garden
and i hope it rains.

Harryhausen made some movies that just totally made my childhood and they remain with me to this day, hats off to him!

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Such an innovator. I'm still a huge fan of "organic" effects...even though they may not be convincing in this day and age with all the CGI (which I am not a huge fan of. Especially when practically every element of a scene is generated digitally) training our brains and eyes. I have an app on my phone for creating "stop motion" videos if that says anything?

I have spent many hours with a camera and "characters" working frame by frame under the influence of this man and many others. May he rest in peace.

"Stop Motion" from the 70s-(not Harryhausen but you'll see the influence, and this is also the film that
allegedly inspired the Evil Dead
EQUINOX

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Thanks, Ray. You were a big part of my childhood.

You know, things being what they were back in the 1970's, I saw all of your movies on the small screen. From Jason And The Argonauts to First Men In The Moon. You can't imagine how seeing your movies on the old Zenith Trinatron affected me...

I hope you are R.I.P. at 24 frames a second.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 03:49 PM
link   
R.I.P

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 05:42 PM
link   
He was mentioned in Monsters Inc.

The restaurant that Billy Crystal's character is supposed to make reservations for, is called "Harryhausen's"

Useless knowledge for the day.

top topics

join