It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Supplements and You; To improve cognitive function Discussion

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse

Originally posted by Covertblack
Caffeine has always worked well for me to stay focused and sharp. If you don't want to take it in liquid form buy it in pill form. Just don't go Jessie Spano.

Along with that I have honestly had a lot of success with Animal Paks. Always made me energetic and alert.

Are you talking about coffee or caffeinated beverages? Coffee has b-carbolines in it that help a person to think properly, caffeine being an adjuvant,

I've always gotten mine through black coffee, as I tend to eat very little sugar. I just know some people don't like the taste of it.

I've taken caffeine in pill form as a stack before workouts.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

Hey Ricky, thanks for the detailed response.

I think taking a multivitamin is so common place these days it almost goes hand in hand with health maintenance.

I have an exceedingly clean diet, which does not include alcohol or high sugar/fructose anything. I typically get any sugar from the 2 pieces of grape fruit i consume daily.

Just to make mention of a supplement i currently take that I have noticed have an impact on cognitive function is my intra-workout supplement of BCAA's. When consumed throughout my workout, my mental focus is quite noticeable and assist with pushing even harder for that last rep or maintaining form. I have even been told my a friend that it is great for work and could be a replacement for coffee if you someone is overly sensitive to caffeine.

ETA: Sorry for those who dont know what BCAA's are

A branched-chain amino acid (BCAA) is an amino acid having aliphatic side-chains with a branch (a carbon atom bound to more than two other carbon atoms). Among the proteinogenic amino acids, there are three BCAAs: leucine, isoleucine and valine.[1]
A chemical structure diagram of leucine
Leucine
A chemical structure diagram of isoleucine
Isoleucine
A chemical structure diagram of valine
Valine

The BCAAs are among the nine essential amino acids for humans, accounting for 35% of the essential amino acids in muscle proteins and 40% of the preformed amino acids required by mammals.[2]

Certain studies suggested a link between sporadic amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, specifically in athletes, and a diet enriched with BCAAs.[10] BCAAs, a common dietary supplement among athletes, cause cell hyper-excitability resembling that usually observed in ALS patients. The proposed underlying mechanism is that cell hyper-excitability results in increased calcium absorption by the cell and thus brings about cell death, specifically of neuronal cells which have particularly low calcium buffering capabilities.[10]
Wiki info

edit on 7-5-2013 by MDDoxs because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by MDDoxs

arm chair warriors spouting questionable information here.

Memory needs to be trained to specific abilities.

If you want a thinkers mind you need to practice imagination and problem solving. You can use mathematics, logic puzzles and riddles, function coding in programming languages, etc. Anything to make you really think.

If you want an intuitive speakers mind, you need to practice learning body language, memory recall, and free style speaking, in the mirror, on the subjects you need to speak about. You can watch and imitate public speakers, as well as using a good flash card system, like anki, with the material you need to regurgitate, and if you can find one, a flash card system of body language. It would not hurt to brush up on the dialect of whomever you are speaking to either.

And there's probably mind hacks out there that you can use to cheat for better performance. I watched a video of some guy who could recall an enormous amount of information by converting the information to rooms in his house and furniture in the rooms with things sitting on the furniture.

As far as supplements for the brain goes... I'm not sure. I would say more sleep, a positive outlook, and maybe some electrolytes, just to have a guess at it. (Apart from caffeine, nicotine, and the alike) No chemicals will give you better help than just practicing, though.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bleeeeep
reply to post by MDDoxs

If you want a thinkers mind you need to practice imagination and problem solving. You can use mathematics, logic puzzles and riddles, function coding in programming languages, etc. Anything to make you really think.

If you want an intuitive speakers mind, you need to practice learning body language, memory recall, and free style speaking, in the mirror, on the subjects you need to speak about. You can watch and imitate public speakers, as well as using a good flash card system, like anki, with the material you need to regurgitate, and if you can find one, a flash card system of body language. It would not hurt to brush up on the dialect of whomever you are speaking to either.

And there's probably mind hacks out there that you can use to cheat for better performance. I watched a video of some guy who could recall an enormous amount of information by converting the information to rooms in his house and furniture in the rooms with things sitting on the furniture.

As far as supplements for the brain goes... I'm not sure. I would say more sleep, a positive outlook, and maybe some electrolytes, just to have a guess at it. (Apart from caffeine, nicotine, and the alike) No chemicals will give you better help than just practicing, though.

Couldn't agree with you more.
Any alleged cognitive benefit is generally short-lived and only applicable when taking the substance.
Once you stop....

Your brain isn't a muscle so it doesn't respond to supplements the way muscles do.
Concentration, focus and practice is the only way you'll succeed.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Bleeeeep

Hello Bleep and welcome to the conversation.

I am partial to calling myself a purveyor of "bro-science" myself
Your opinion is more then welcome!

Could not agree with you more. I would like to think work and some of my hobbies are sufficient training enough for the purposes I am after, but practice does make perfect. A supplement would be utilized to enhance not only the work I do, but increase the benefit from the practice as you mentioned.

I recall seeing something similar to what describe here. Association can be a powerful tool for memorization.

Would agree with you here again, but I am looking for something specifically geared to aide in development.

Thanks again buddy,

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by MDDoxs
reply to post by rickymouse

Hey Ricky, thanks for the detailed response.

I think taking a multivitamin is so common place these days it almost goes hand in hand with health maintenance.

I have an exceedingly clean diet, which does not include alcohol or high sugar/fructose anything. I typically get any sugar from the 2 pieces of grape fruit i consume daily.

Just to make mention of a supplement i currently take that I have noticed have an impact on cognitive function is my intra-workout supplement of BCAA's. When consumed throughout my workout, my mental focus is quite noticeable and assist with pushing even harder for that last rep or maintaining form. I have even been told my a friend that it is great for work and could be a replacement for coffee if you someone is overly sensitive to caffeine.

ETA: Sorry for those who dont know what BCAA's are

A branched-chain amino acid (BCAA) is an amino acid having aliphatic side-chains with a branch (a carbon atom bound to more than two other carbon atoms). Among the proteinogenic amino acids, there are three BCAAs: leucine, isoleucine and valine.[1]
A chemical structure diagram of leucine
Leucine
A chemical structure diagram of isoleucine
Isoleucine
A chemical structure diagram of valine
Valine

The BCAAs are among the nine essential amino acids for humans, accounting for 35% of the essential amino acids in muscle proteins and 40% of the preformed amino acids required by mammals.[2]

Certain studies suggested a link between sporadic amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, specifically in athletes, and a diet enriched with BCAAs.[10] BCAAs, a common dietary supplement among athletes, cause cell hyper-excitability resembling that usually observed in ALS patients. The proposed underlying mechanism is that cell hyper-excitability results in increased calcium absorption by the cell and thus brings about cell death, specifically of neuronal cells which have particularly low calcium buffering capabilities.[10]
Wiki info

Grapefruit has theosulfate in it, it is a good neutralizer of cyanides that are created from foods and within the body as the cells break down. It is about as strong as an onion. Grapefruit also is an adjuvant, it makes whatever happens happen better, much like caffeine but without the perk. Grapefruit also contains some bromelaine, a chemical that helps break mucus up in the sinuses and lungs. It also takes breaks down a tumor's protective mucus layer which allows our immune system to attack them when they are small.

The leucine in the pill will help to regulate the niacin in the body to help regulate the heart beat. Nitrogen which is broken off by exercise speeds the heart rate and in turn helps to lower blood pressure. Look at how Nitroglycerine tablets work. Nitrogen compounds have a settling effect most times, most are nervene to a certain extent. Eating too much chili pepper can give a person AFIB unless the body has adequate levels of Leucine. It is a lot more complex than this, I just look at enough of the information to know possible treatments and cures. I don't really like to consider it treatment though, I consider things as companion foods or antidotes. Some foods like nuts have both high niacin and also lots of leucine. Sometimes their antinutrient effect makes these two unabsorbable though. Roasting of nuts helps them be more absorbable because the Lectins breaks down.. I haven't studied the iso leucine much yet, I feel it is just a more active version of leucine. Beans and even potatoes or other legumes are a good source of Leucine.

I don't understand why they say we need so much calcium. Our body is supposed to recycle this, it is a powerful nervine and deadens things. It also regulates energy production. Our digestive system gets better at taking it out if we get it less often. Going from a fifteen percent efficiency to over sixty five percent if it is eaten once a week. Having calcium every day is not good, it causes other mineral deficiencies because it is taken up instead of other minerals better. It is an antinutrient if consumed too often. They really messed up with the nutrition system in our country. Saying to drink milk three times a day just dumbs us down. Drink milk when you need the Beta blocker effect, not when you don't It is a good source of Beta Blockers, a chemical that dampens thinking. I read here a while back that they were considering adding them to the water in England. what the F. If you want to rest your mind, have a glass of milk....Works great for that. Take a molybdenum pill to break up the excess mucus or just eat your grapefruit

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 05:10 PM
link   
One thing that should be addressed is when to dose said supplements. There are many things that could inhibit the supplements from preforming their intended function. Also, many things can act synergisticaly with said supplements sometimes for better or worse. One example is L-Arginine, when taken prior to or immidiately after a work out it shows its anabolic properties. Taken at night time before bed it's a secretagogue.

The two that I can think of that are beneficial is Guarana. It has xanthines and as well as a form of caffeine that gives the user little to no jitters. I believe that would be beneficial to people with a naturally low tolerance to coffee.

Another good one is L-Arginine, as I stated above. It has many uses including causing a positive nitrogen balance in the body, it is also a vasodiolator (increases blood circulation= good for your brain) and when taken before bed it acts as a secretagogue for Human Growth Hormone.

One last thing, always always always research and get to know what you're putting in your body, how it works and why it works.
edit on 7-5-2013 by kimish because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 05:24 PM
link   
They aren't supplements but I wonder if you've ever tried brainwave entrainment?

I use them and find they work for me. 20hz tone plugged in to my ears for ten minutes clears my mind, wakes me up and puts me at a level of alertness that I just can't seem to get from vitamins alone also it gets rid of any anxious feeling I might of had. I usually only do it before tests, or right before a long hike up a mountain but whatever I use it for, for me it works.

I understand they aren't for everyone though and especially for those people who have had strokes or at risk, or anyone with epilipsy. You should read up first then decide.

I hate to be the person who says "they have an app for that" but they do, and many, but many are nothing but someone in a basement putting it together so i'll recommend the three that I use and that do work for me.

Relax Melodies by Ipnos software this one I had to pay three dollars to get the extra 20hz track but it's worth it.

Brainwaves-T.U.S from IMOBLIFE Co.Ltd also is good but they are pricey

and the best but this one doesn't work on my tablet but if you can get it it's so worth it. it's AmbiScience, Tesla Software, LLC.

Sorry if it's not quite what you are looking for but it just might do exactly what you want. I'll add a link for you to look into it more.

web-us.com...

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by kimish

That is very interesting. It will fit well into what I know about betaine HCL and Pickled beets. Something in Beets also raise the efficiency of the cells, making them need less oxygen to do the same amount of work. It improves overall stamina in people it was tested on.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 07:09 PM
link   
I use Clear Shot and a couple of tyrosine caps for starters in the morning. More than that and I'll get so jittery I can't focus, but that'll keep me wide awake all night (I'm on night shifts now...ugh)

If I need to engineer like a wild dog, I'll add in some Alertec. Alertec is DEFINITELY a primo nootropic, but you either need to get a doc to write it or you have to 'come by it'. Fortunately, my pcp is a veteran and has an understanding of the sorts of work we have to do at times, so he's ok with a "break glass in case of engineering" Alertec stash. The military's sort of tacitly agreed that modafinil is 'combat ok', but you've got to be careful not to go too long or you'll burn in. I'm not talking just about working more hours, if you use modafinil when you're rested your mentation pops in a not-quite "Limitless" way, but it is close.

There are some off-the-wall nootropics I've tried that are a bit 'much' - it's not much use being all over some project with a splitting headache or your teeth grinding.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by MDDoxs

I think there is a lot to be said about Magnesium, and common Magnesium deficiencies. Rather than paraphrase, I'll allow this .pdf to say it for me. Now, I try to get my magnesium via fruits, vegetables, nuts, etc.

I'm also a proponent of the magic of coconut oil; I make and m'Bride and I consume and cook with same.

We take glucosamine and chondroitin sulphate -- basically crushed up sea shells -- for joint/cartilage problems. I take ginko biloba for......... I forget what it's for.

We both have shifted our diet to more fish, more homegrown vegies and fruits, and as little frankenfood as possible. We're better than we were five years ago. We eat a lot of fresh ginger.

I make fresh squeezednoni from native mulberry, and I believe it helps us both tremendously. Fresh squeezed still tastes like crap, but not nearly as horrible as the traditional fermented noni; imagine a wine made of fish and cheese. Yes, it's just that bad. Fresh juice is more like pineapple juice gone bad.

You touched upon pushing your mental and physical barriers to their utmost abilities. I personally believe that may constitute an unnatural and potentially unhealthy situation, if you attempt to maintain that level. Peak performance athletes use routines and such to build toward an event, and then must allow the body a rest period, or the regime becomes destructive; I believe the same is so for the mental calisthenics. We can maintain a basic level of mental and physical fitness --- even an elevated level -- but to strive for the peak as a constant, well, even when I was young and bulletproof, I discovered the folly of constantly pushing myself.

I don't work out. I work, and my work is strenuous. I begin each day with Tai Chi, and some stretches. I do some lightweight high-rep curls to keep my twice-broken and once dislocated shoulder taut. I waited too late in life to embrace stretching. I began really incorporating stretching into my daily thang at the age of 40, and now I find that I can maintain a good level of limberness for my age (55), but the "kick-over-my-head" fluidity of my youth seems out of reach, at least without causing some other hitch in my giddyup.

My advice to you would be to delve into an ongoing regime of stretching, while you are still young and your body repairs the damage efficiently.

Good thread!
edit on 7/5/13 by argentus because: spellin'

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 07:48 PM
link   
I don't know if this is quite what you're after but I started taking Gingko Biloba @ 60 mg twice daily and have noticed some definite changes in memory. I suppose there is a good chance it's the placebo effect, but even if that's the case I'm not complaining. I had been a little scatterbrained and a friend recommended I try the stuff. I didn't take it all that seriously but got a bottle and after a few days started noticing that I could remember things much better (especially dreams oddly enough). It seems to have certainly given me some other 'performance' boosts as well that I was not expecting. Did a little research on that and found out that it's fairly common. I recommend reinforcing your bed frame.

I recently read a really good article on nootropics that I'll try to dig up for you as it seems that may be more in line with what you're looking for.

ETA: Just read what argentus said above about forgetting what he was taking the gingko for and it reminded me of a joke in a movie with Harrelson Ford. "I've got to take gingko to remember where I put my viagra." Cracks me up.
edit on 7-5-2013 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 08:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Bedlam

Although Modafanil is not an amphetamine, it appears to have many of the same effects. Unfortunately, that includes the deleterious cardiovascular ones. Nothing much has been documented about post-use depression with it, but I would suspect it would be present. The US has it as a Schedule IV controlled substance.

There are plenty of medications/substances that have the opposite effect. An interesting one is Topiramate, used for migraines/seizure disorders. Folks who take it lose memory--- particularly in choosing the words they wish to use. Many refer to it as "StupaMax" --a word play on its trade name.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 10:47 PM
link   
I'm into supplements too, but I try not to overdo it. I've been into Ginkgo for years and I think it helps.

What I've been trying recently is to meditate 30 minutes in the sun every day. Downloaded a meditation timer for my phone. Direct sunlight gets your body's own vitamin D factory going and that is a natural anti-depressant. I'm not really going for a body tan because I don't want to up my chances for skin cancer. So, like today I wore a long sleeved white shirt and white shorts. Got sun on face and legs but not too long to burn.

The half hour of sun every day combined with TM (transcendental meditation) seems to be doing me a lot of good. I sleep better at night, feel more relaxed and less anxious and have a more positive outlook.

However, I still take my vitamin and mineral regimen daily. Eating fresh, simple foods also helps. I don't do fast food and try to avoid processed foods. There are whole aisles in the grocery store I won't walk down because some of them are full of junk food.

I keep telling myself I'm going to live on nothing but salmon, nuts, berries, and greens, but I haven't quite gotten that disciplined, yet! And yeah, I'm a coffee drinker, too. I keep Monster or Red Bull in the fridge just in case I happen to run out of coffee or feel a migraine coming on.

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by crankyoldman
The OP's motivation not withstanding, there is a seldom addressed issue on the subject that needs to be included. Never before has the human body/brain been subject to the horrors it is being exposed to: EMF's, ELF's, dust-chemical-grown food, GMO's, fluoride in ALL water, chlorimines, chlorine, and in some cases pharma drugs in water. Not to mention vaccines, pollutants in the air, toxic chemicals in the building materials, mercury in the mouth and everywhere else. Estrogen producing packaging. Add to that the horrific reality of the planet wide radiation situation. I'm not even going to go into the reality of the "education" system on the brains pathways and its ability to express consciousness.

Every aspect of the vehicle we use to express our consciousness is being bombarded with an unholy mix of ingredients to dumb us down. To suggest that supplementing to combat this nightmare is in some way foolish, or less then perfect, is rather naive. People really are not looking for an "edge" but simply trying to keep one's head above water in the reality that is our world. Even if you grew your own heirloom food to eat, you'd still be feeding those plants with fluoride ridden water. Our bodies are fighting a battle they cannot really win, a battle to express our true consciousness through it while it is being attacked.

To add iodine here, or glucosomine there, or filtered water here, or a nootropic there is simply working to get to a level where the system is not fighting so damn hard to express the true nature of one's consciousness.

Consider: What would your consciousness expression be like without the toxic cocktail of ingredients bashing you day and night? What is the new baseline of consciousness expression in a body?

This isn't a pessimistic view, it's an awakened view to whats really going on at the moment. I wonder if this is happening with natural supplements too? Is it best not to take any? think about it, if big pharma pollute people with their medications do they have their hand in natural remedies too? There are some big companies making them which has me concerned. If they aren't doing it now I'm sure they will be soon. I've heard they even taint a batch every now and then with a virus. Call me a pessimistic paranoid conspiracy theorist I really don't care, I am just seeing things with open eyes and an open mind.

I am curious though, what supplements are you currently taking OP?

The best course of action against all this seems to be within the power of the conscious mind and spirit. Meditate, exercise, raise your vibration, change your mindset, find the power within and rise above it all.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Whoo-Hoo, finally a subject I know something about...

First off, ketosis is basically a normal variant/altered consciousness state. The ketone bodies act much like alcohol so you get a combination of 'focus' along with 'very good mood'. It can be a lot of fun to play with and in a nondiabetic, perfectly normal. Akin to a few thousand years ago when you ran low on food and were out in a hunting party for a few days in a row. It's not ketosis when you wake up in the morning, unless your last few days' diet was devoid of carbs. It takes apprx. 48 hours to use up the liver's glycogen supply and switch over to ketosis but if you're paying attention, the switchover can almost feel like a light switch, it's quite dramatic. You'll go from feeling oddly tired and sleepy and hungry as the glycogen reserves peter out to rather zen, focused and cheerful...ketone bodies burn very smoothly and they knock out spurious hunger signals. You'll still feel hungry but it tends to get rid of random cravings.

Re nootropics: I've been experimenting with these for about 14 years now; money was an issue and so if something didn't have noticeable effects and cost more than ~10 bucks a month, it wasn't continued.

My current tried and proven regime includes pregnenolone 10-50 mg a day; absolutely critical for memory, that 'tip of the tongue feeling', and I've found it oddly smooths out emotional responses. It can be quite "Mr. Spock" in effect. It also enhances color vision, there's a Kodachrome effect and colors have an emotional impact they didn't before. As a post-menopausal female, I refuse to go without it; it gets rid of that 'ditzy' feeling that lack of estrogen can cause.

Gingko is supposed to enhance the development of capillaries and I take it to calm down tinnitus; it seems to help but the effect can take several months to become apparent.

DHEA seems to help muscle tone but too much makes me rather crabby; small amounts eliminate timidity and give my personality more 'oomph' than it normally would have at this post-menopausal age. There are disagreements with DHEA around it possibly being a cancer-trigger; do your due diligence on research on this one. I doubt a relatively healthy young male would need it but consider if if you're approaching 40 or so. Watch out for the anger effects, they can be surprising.

My favorite cheap supplement is sunflower (not soy) lecithin. It ups the brain levels of choline (acetylcholine being one of the wakey-type neurotransmitters); I find it wonderful for concentration, memory and all around gives you access to all your IQ points; it chases out that 'brain fog' feeling you can get. Don't take it at night, you'll have trouble sleeping. It's much like caffeine without the drawbacks. Two 1600 mg pills will kick in, in about 20 minutes and last all day. Good stuff; subtle but definitely there.

I've never had the money much to experiment with piracetam, etc. Chances are they are a more focused effect of the above. And any time the FDA bans something, I consider that a sign that I should find out what's going on with it. Generally, what they ban is what I'm interested in researching. Their stance on marijuana and laetrile (among many others) is criminal and antithetical to human sovereignty. It's quite obvious that the FDA is a minion of the pharmaceutical/chemical industries in the US and elsewhere. Their studies are very often not only flawed, but statistically useless. I'd go by personal testimonials long before I'd believe something they have to advertise on teevee to sell you on...

Finally, I'd never heard of 'animal stack' before; impressive list of ingredients; I especially noted that it contains two kinds of ginseng in rather hefty doses. Ginseng is really remarkable stuff; I was once in a herbal shop back in the '70s and felt myself coming down with a really bad sore throat and flu bug; it was coming on fast and so probably was going to be a bad one. I mentioned something to the proprietor about this and he kinda looked both ways, no one else in the store, and pulled out a bottle from under the counter and offered me a swig. I asked what was it and he said 'ginseng root soaked in brandy'. I took a small amount, about 2 oz. and darned if that cold wasn't gone before I got home.

Oh, and one other thing; coffee and caffeine are very much two different substances; coffee has hundreds of compounds in it. While I take caffeine pills, I don't like the taste of coffee and have literally never had it except for that one time (yuk!) I often wonder what western 'civilization' would be like if we were all tea drinkers instead of coffee drinkers. I think a lot less war would be waged. Coffee scares me; it seems to make people adversarial in aggregate whereas tea is more zen, thoughtful and wise.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by MDDoxs
reply to post by crankyoldman

Hello Crankoldman, I appreciate your perspective and insight on the matters you have highlighted, regardless if I agree with them or not.

I am concerned at how pessimistic your outlook on our planet and our being (mental and/or physical) is and to claim naivety on my part is a bit reckless in my opinion. I do consider all the toxic effects in our world today, but to continually worry about them to be would be to encourage further self destruction.

Surely if you are concerned/aware of external effects of toxins, you must be aware that internal toxins of our own creation (e.g. pessimism, depression, negativity), is equally as harmful.

We are getting a bit intangible here for the focus of this thread.

I am sure you would agree that a positive outlook and trying to promote both physical and mental health to the best you can is far more advantageous that simply doing nothing....

this is a late reply, there is a misunderstanding as I agree with your effort and refute those who suggest you simply need to do x and you're fine. I think it foolish to ignore the reality of the experience we are in and to think that simply combating fluoride with mind over matter is the answer. Just remember, anything that works will work for a while and then often stop, so be open.

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 06:55 AM
link   
Nutrition is imperative to muscle growth and fitness. The more apt your nutrition is, the more quickly will your muscles grow and you will get the fruit of your efforts.

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 02:32 AM
link   
There are nutritional supplements available in the market that can help you increase your performance. Some supplements you may consider pertaining to increased exercise performance are
Creatine
Glutamine
Multivitamins

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 03:24 AM
link   
I take Ginko Biloba to help out the circulation in my extremities, and it is said that it is also an aid to the brain circulation. Honestly, I am not so sure that I have noticed any difference.

I have a tendancy to go into periods of ketosis, because I forget to eat, and often have low blood sugar. During those times, I do find my mental activities are at their highest performance and almost hyper-active (those are the the days I am writing non-stop , or re-organizing our finances or something). But up to now, my perception has been more that the state of ketosis was caused by my increased mental stimulation (I become less receptive to my bodies drives and appetites in general). Rather than the other way around.
My liver tends to suffer though, and I regularly take Burdock root to help it regenerate.

But throughout this thread, I keep thinking that the mind benefits from mental exercises and nourishment in the same way the body benefits from physical exercise and nourishment. Games such Sudoku, crosswords, various card games....and debate! I think a good debate with a sharp thinking friend helps hone mental skills and focus in a fun way .
edit on 13-6-2013 by Bluesma because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join