It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you want to know why some people always defend the government?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Well, I was wondering a couple days ago about why some people always defend the government no matter what.

If the government kills someone, they'll say it's the victims fault, if the government starts a war, they'll say they had no choice but to start one, if the government is spending money on useless things, they'll say it's for a good cause, and so it goes on and one.

I just kept wondering how could someone defend the government when it's clear the government has done something wrong. I searched and searched, and I finally found this article:

When we’re threatened we defend ourselves—and our systems. Before 9/11, for instance, President George W. Bush was sinking in the polls. But as soon as the planes hit the World Trade Center, the president’s approval ratings soared. So did support for Congress and the police. During Hurricane Katrina, America witnessed FEMA’s spectacular failure to rescue the hurricane’s victims. Yet many people blamed those victims for their fate rather than admitting the agency flunked and supporting ideas for fixing it. In times of crisis, say the authors, we want to believe the system works.

www.psychologicalscience.org...
edit on 7-5-2013 by extraterrestrialentity because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by extraterrestrialentity

Stockholm syndrome?

edit on 7-5-2013 by ThePeopleParty because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 11:03 AM
link   
I'd say its in response to those that always attack it.

Usually there truth falls somewhere in the middle.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Why would someone turn on their sugar daddy?

Never heard of anyone talking bad on Santa Clause, why do it to the Fed Govt?

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by ThePeopleParty

From how and what the got form their tests looks like it, or you could look at like they're holding on to Dumbo's magic feather.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hopechest
I'd say its in response to those that always attack it.

Usually there truth falls somewhere in the middle.

You do have a way with words and saying in a few...what I sometimes take a paragraph for.

to brevity, but no less accurate!

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 11:26 AM
link   
I suspect it's years of indoctrination at an early age combined with clever uses of people's own pyscological bias being manipulated.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 11:34 AM
link   

We do want to believe the system works. And we are idiots because it doesn't. Nothing screws things up like a group of people...doing anything.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Because they believe in a massive central government that controls virtually every area of a person's life.

(Except for abortion and sodomy of course, those are off-limits)

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Well there is always the opposite to something...

If someone things government will protect them. Then you will have someone thinking government will round you up and kill all of them.

Obviously, both are wrong.

There is good and bad about a government.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 11:50 AM
link   
IMO if the government is right then we defend it.
If it's wrong we point out where it's wrong.

We strive for the truth. Even though it's hard to figure out.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by benrl
I suspect it's years of indoctrination at an early age combined with clever uses of people's own pyscological bias being manipulated.

Exactly.
We all know the everyday fluorinated sheeple when scared flock to the violent coersive state Shepard. That is a fact.

Fear makes people more predictable,irrational and highly suggestible. That is why the TPTB use fear tactics on us.

problem.

engineered terrorist threat.

solution.

repeat.
edit on 7-5-2013 by John_Rodger_Cornman because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by extraterrestrialentity
I was wondering a couple days ago about why some people always defend the government no matter what.

If the government kills someone, they say it's the victims fault, if the government started a war, they say they had no choice, if the government is spending money on useless things, they'll say it's for a good cause, and so on.

I just kept wondering how could someone defend the government when it's clear the government has done something I wrong. Until I found this article:

When we’re threatened we defend ourselves—and our systems. Before 9/11, for instance, President George W. Bush was sinking in the polls. But as soon as the planes hit the World Trade Center, the president’s approval ratings soared. So did support for Congress and the police. During Hurricane Katrina, America witnessed FEMA’s spectacular failure to rescue the hurricane’s victims. Yet many people blamed those victims for their fate rather than admitting the agency flunked and supporting ideas for fixing it. In times of crisis, say the authors, we want to believe the system works.

www.psychologicalscience.org...
edit on 7-5-2013 by extraterrestrialentity because: (no reason given)

You ask why some always defend the government, as if they are wrong in doing so ... yet you go and make a statement like this, with blanket accusations:

"If the government kills someone, they say it's the victims fault, if the government started a war, they say they had no choice, if the government is spending money on useless things, they'll say it's for a good cause, and so on."

So who is wrong here?

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 12:13 PM
link   
it's tribalism, you defend your perceived circle/family, even if you know they are wrong. Nations, flags, patriotism : it is nothing more than glorified tribalism.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by gosseyn

Its not enough the obey the violent war mongering state you must love the violent war mongering state.

Just like ingsec/1984.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Probably for the same reasons that others can hear a click on their phone, or lose water pressure for a few minutes and come to the conclusion that every alphabet agency in the country is lurking around their homes and trying to poison/trick/trap/spy/torture/surveille them. People latch onto the beliefs that they wish to latch onto and then tend to descend into indoctrinated thought patterns.

People tend to want to gravitate toward absolutist all or nothing thinking when the truth most often is to be found somewhere in the middle.

The government is corrupt, but not absolutely so. There is good and bad to be found in it. In what ratio I cannot say - but this is the reality of the situation.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide

Probably for the same reasons that others can hear a click on their phone, or lose water pressure for a few minutes and come to the conclusion that every alphabet agency in the country is lurking around their homes and trying to poison/trick/trap/spy/torture/surveille them. People latch onto the beliefs that they wish to latch onto and then tend to descend into indoctrinated thought patterns.

People tend to want to gravitate toward absolutist all or nothing thinking when the truth most often is to be found somewhere in the middle.

The government is corrupt, but not absolutely so. There is good and bad to be found in it. In what ratio I cannot say - but this is the reality of the situation.

This is such a great answer in my opinion.
People that defend the Govt blindly are no more ridiculous then those that blame the Govt for everything.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 12:27 PM
link   
I really think that it's simple

Many people do not want to believe that their government would do something evil.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Wildbob77

Which is less scary for joe normal to believe?

Their government is capable of committing atrocities.

or

A "lone wolf" terrorist is capable of committing atrocities.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Do you want to know why some people always defend the government?

I recall when some of the first 9.11 theories hit the web in force; they were chopped down before they got more than a few replies. At the time... and still even today, the concept of our own government either having a hand in such a horror or just simply knowing more than what we've been told, is really quite frightening.

Our country was an experiment where people supposedly ran the show through the ballot box and that almost every single one of us was in full support of the mechanism that produced our liberties. This trust in our system is ingrained; part of who we are from childhood. To suddenly find ourselves as being so betrayed by those we so trusted, is indeed still scary.

We don't want to have to look at this head-on... and you can't blame them either because it takes the very foundations of our national heritage and culture and then dumps it on its bloody ear.

As time as passed, our government has become more and more touchy on these things. Where once they shrugged it off, today they see rising numbers in those who doubt them. For any government of any location or age, population unrest is their worst nightmare. So, as today we see our current administration openly attacking anyone who questions their government, many also see a reason for distrusting it even more.

It's kind of a Catch 22... where official attempts to quell the distrust become fuel for the fire of dissent.

Washington would do well to make an open effort to listen to what the people are saying and then respond with complete and utter transparency. This kind of approach would likely calm the nation to one extent or the next... but politics is rarely known for choosing the correct path.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join