It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Explosive Materials Background Check Act to take out ammo reloaders

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+14 more 
posted on May, 7 2013 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Spawned by the events in Boston (though I'm sure it was ready to go just waiting for an excuse) this bill seeks to cripple home reloaders.

Key elements are:

Requires "explosive license" to purchase any powder in any amount.

Redefines "manufacturer" to be anyone who reloads any amount of ammo or mixes anything that can explode including Tannerite and any other recreational explosives.

Expands the list of what would disqualify people from being eligible to get an "explosive licensee" including the oft flawed "terror watchlist" and making the license "may issue" rather than "shall issue" which means if somebody just doesnt like your t-shirt or deodorant you can be denied.

Full Bill Text

Buying up all the ammo and making it increasingly difficult to produce your own.

Nothing suspicious or creepy about that DHS. Nothing at all.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 09:21 AM
link   
This will not stop future bombings. These people that we call our leaders are dumb

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 09:24 AM
link   
I thought the bombs were made from fireworks?

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Well on the one hand....

I find myself agreeing with some extended type of pre-screening when you are dealing with explosives. you can't go buy enough chemicals to make meth without getting on a watch list, you can't buy nitrate fertilizer in amounts sufficient to make a bomb without getting on a watch list (unless you are smart about it I suppose) so I don't see this as a surprise really.

The kids at columbine used homemade pipe bombs and propane tank explosives, the Boston idiots used black powder and pressure cookers.

But yeah, reading your OP a few things smack me in the face. I guess only time will tell how this is implemented will be the key.

And no, I don't think your T-shirt will disqualify you. Then again, a picture of Megatron got a guy tossed off a plane, so who the hell knows anymore.

the tie in with the terrorist watch list, on it's face makes sense... But when you understand that the list is over a million, and plenty of average, law abiding citizens are on it.....

Maybe you guys are onto something. I still don't think it's two skips away from dictatorship, but yeah, it does appear to be following an agenda.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 09:28 AM
link   
So.. They run the market on civilian ammo with endless purchase orders for ammunition in excess of what private producers can ever supply, if 100% dedicated JUST to Government orders ..... then use this to zap the reloaders.

Clever. Despicable, but clever. The 2nd Amendment says we have the right to bear arms. It doesn't say we have the right to a brass cartridge fit to load into them. What a cheesy, politician like way to basically ban what cannot be outright banned.

Of course, a majority won't even allow for the fact this is the motivation and will gleefully argue in support of the backdoor gun ban. No need to ban the tool, when you can make using it impossible.
We elected this crap. Remember that, eh?

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 09:29 AM
link   
You know I'd ask why the government keeps thinking that if they ban things or make them hard to get for law abiding citizens it will automatically make us safer? However I have kind of figured out that they know this already and its more an issue of the government just trying to implement more control over the masses to the tune of "for you protection."

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by phishyblankwaters

Well on the one hand....

I find myself agreeing with some extended type of pre-screening when you are dealing with explosives. you can't go buy enough chemicals to make meth without getting on a watch list, you can't buy nitrate fertilizer in amounts sufficient to make a bomb without getting on a watch list (unless you are smart about it I suppose) so I don't see this as a surprise really.

The kids at columbine used homemade pipe bombs and propane tank explosives, the Boston idiots used black powder and pressure cookers.

But yeah, reading your OP a few things smack me in the face. I guess only time will tell how this is implemented will be the key.

And no, I don't think your T-shirt will disqualify you. Then again, a picture of Megatron got a guy tossed off a plane, so who the hell knows anymore.

the tie in with the terrorist watch list, on it's face makes sense... But when you understand that the list is over a million, and plenty of average, law abiding citizens are on it.....

Maybe you guys are onto something. I still don't think it's two skips away from dictatorship, but yeah, it does appear to be following an agenda.

bans on materials is not going to stop people from killing others.

With the right knowledge you can make mustard gas from cleaning products under your sink. So are we going to ban chlorine and drain-o now?

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by phishyblankwaters

On the face a lot of laws make sense. That's why they keep enacting bad laws.

Laws which as you said, if you're smart about it, serve as no obstacle.

I can take a month to visit every Walmart, home improvement, hardware, garden store in the area and stockpile 100 gallons of saltpeter without raising any suspicious at all. More than enough to blow the side of a big building or manufacture dozens of pipe bombs.

And that wouldnt even run afoul of this proposed act.

To the determined criminal laws like this are part of the fun. A puzzle to get around and figure out.

To the average Joe who just wants to load some ammo laws like this are a real PITA.

To the government any law that creates licensing fees is a bonus regardless of effectiveness.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
I thought the bombs were made from fireworks?

Yes (so far as we know). And, fireworks are already illegal to sell, purchase, and posses in Massachusetts. So, the laws on the books to date making these illegal in all forms in the state still did not stop a determined person(s) from committing this crime.

Pretty clear-cut...and addressing the explosive issue is a moot point and would not have stopped this incident at all either.

To be honest, it is purely a political hand wave to the masses to show, "see I'm gonna do something about this....so (re)elect me ! "

edit on 7-5-2013 by Krakatoa because: I fixed my fat-fingered spelling errors

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
So.. They run the market on civilian ammo with endless purchase orders for ammunition in excess of what private producers can ever supply, if 100% dedicated JUST to Government orders ..... then use this to zap the reloaders.

Clever. Despicable, but clever. The 2nd Amendment says we have the right to bear arms. It doesn't say we have the right to a brass cartridge fit to load into them. What a cheesy, politician like way to basically ban what cannot be outright banned.

Of course, a majority won't even allow for the fact this is the motivation and will gleefully argue in support of the backdoor gun ban. No need to ban the tool, when you can make using it impossible.
We elected this crap. Remember that, eh?

And, any manufacturer that sees this, would make a boatload of $$$ by not taking any govt purchase orders, and only selling to the civilian population. That is marketing 101, get that brand loyalty for your product, and you can rest assured you will make $$$ all day long.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Face it. There is only ONE solution to ALL of these problems we keep ranting about. We must prohibit lawyers from being in public office. All the Wall Street, K Street, Congress, Subprime Court, etc. malfeasance, inability to act, corruption, and ineffectual leadership has been almost entirely at the hands of lawyers. Get rid of them.. Shun them. Make them pariahs in our society. They have been at the heart of everything bad that happens. Ban them.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by jtma508
...(Lawyers) They have been at the heart of everything bad that happens. Ban them.

But, if you ban them, then only criminals will have lawyers!

(Just kidding, sorry I couldn't help to add a little levity here folks....)

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Wow, im surprised nobody has remembered this yet.

Someone help me out (please) im on a crappy phone, and posting a link will take an hour, but a thread was started sometime ago, about an individual writing an email stating that the bombing would be used to try and put restrictions on explosive/reloading powder......

Im not jumping on the "false flag" bandwagon here, but its a little beyond coincidental if u ask me

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Krakatoa

Are you suggesting that the rather narrow set of ammunition producers can tell the Government no? That's an assumption I'm not making. I doubt they've had that issue forced, yet. I have NO doubt they are well aware of the fact it could be forced and forced without options left to them, if they pushed it to that. After all, they have a ready fall back position if the Government feels it needs one. We're at war, and we're under ongoing and long term threat of wide scale attack on our own soil (whether that's true or not, doesn't matter for Executive orders back to the 90's or the reality of the industry we're talking about). It would form the basis to stop asking and start ordering the purchase orders be honored and stocked properly, as required for national security.

So far, it's just asking nicely ...and running the market by request.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 10:03 AM
link   
You have to be brain dead to be unaware of the totalitarian regime thats being implemented through goverment deception and false flag poltical manipulation.
Even the countrys housewives are well aware their hubby(and themselves by collateral damage) could be declared a terrorist or be harrassed by the feds for views not in keeping with govt policy.
The programming is rampant everywhere the media can reach.
The emotional manipulation is constant.
If we do not revolt, we are doomed....theres no longer any choice.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 10:22 AM
link   
egads..if you cant take the guns out of the hands of legal gun owners, take thier ammo instead...

these are the easy things to begin with...seems like a noble cause..'its all to stop the terrorists' too few see the precidents, too few see where all this is leading,

too many say 'this doesnt affect me' and when the next ..'requirement or ban comes up too many once again say 'this doesnt affect me' ...eventually there is only gunna be 1 person left saying 'this doesnt affect me'

and people think conspiracy believiers are paranoid?! how paranoid do you have to be to believe that EVERYBODY is a potential terrorist...and EVERTHING should be monitored

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Considering all of the gun loving folks that have recently stepped up to the plate in defense of their 2A rights, I do not see this idea flying.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 12:21 PM
link   

What does this bill have to do with Boston?

They used gunpowder from fireworks. If anything they should do background checks on fireworks purchased. Lol

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 12:46 PM
link   
535 congressman and not one brain among them.

Permit's,background checks,terrorist watch lists!!!!

None of which stopped the Boston bombers.

Too right the target's that 'legislation' are YOU.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
reply to post by Krakatoa

Are you suggesting that the rather narrow set of ammunition producers can tell the Government no? That's an assumption I'm not making. I doubt they've had that issue forced, yet. I have NO doubt they are well aware of the fact it could be forced and forced without options left to them, if they pushed it to that. After all, they have a ready fall back position if the Government feels it needs one. We're at war, and we're under ongoing and long term threat of wide scale attack on our own soil (whether that's true or not, doesn't matter for Executive orders back to the 90's or the reality of the industry we're talking about). It would form the basis to stop asking and start ordering the purchase orders be honored and stocked properly, as required for national security.

So far, it's just asking nicely ...and running the market by request.

Not suggesting that directly...it would be too obvious. However, if a shell business was established under different names, but running under the same mfg license, that was targeted solely for the non-government customer, with the official reason being to provide products that do not meet the more strict DOD guidelines. If the product would not meet these guidelines then they could not sell the product to the DOD/Govt (or something along those lines that the big business folks are famous for to hide all kinds of dirty secrets). If (as the majority of CT's think) the corporations actually run the govt, then a corporation using the same tools of the trade should be able to legally sidestep it while providing backup to future legislation to "infringing upon" the 2nd Amendment.

(NOTE: I am not a business major, so the details are not accurate, but it seems plausible)

edit on 7-5-2013 by Krakatoa because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join