It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Religion Vs Atheism

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 08:39 AM
link   
I hate religious threads, always turns into Troll nation but I'v noticed a trend that's started to piss me the #'off, so I thought I'd have a rant

I'm not religious and far from it. I believe there could be a possibility that there's a God, but any religion which tries to explain this or how they portray that god - I do not believe in. With that said, I'm starting to think that an Atheists stance is more annoying than that of a follower of a Religion.

Atheist say Religious people are stupid, ignorant, what ever - All because they blindly lay their faith into something that can not be proved. Yet, an Atheist came to the conclusion that there's no God based on their own assumptions - No proof, no facts - Basically the same actions a believer did, but believes the exact opposite. No matter how you twist it, there's equal evidence to support both sides of the argument - Ones own experience or a 2nd hand experience that inspires your thought process.

I just wanted to make this thread because I see it more and more every month and think its stupid. You both choose to take a stance on something either can not prove.

Either stance, the probabilities are endless, endless to a point where we will never fully comprehend in hundreds, maybe thousands of years - We may never know the answer, arguing over what ifs, he said she said, this said this & that said this - Will get you nowhere, just a constant cycle of stalemate, no progression.

Taking a stance that God doesn't exist when there is no definite proof to prove otherwise, is as 'ignorant' as saying there is a god - Which again entails no definitive proof.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 08:51 AM
link   
reply to post by n00bUK

I can see that you're agnostic. Anyway, I do like debates between atheist and religious people when they have good arguments. But most of the time it is pointless because you cannot really disprove the supernatural. People who identify as religious have faith and would believe with their heart that whatever they believe in is true. As an atheist I do see them as having imaginary beliefs. The best we can do is respect one another and offer constructive criticism. A lot of the name calling and what not can be ignored. Just my two cents.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 08:54 AM
link   
I'm sorta in the middle

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Whose to say a god is a living thing? It could be an Atom - or something more complex which we havent discovered. I'm no scientist, but there possibly an ultimate element out there that gave the others the chance to thrive the way we see now.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by n00bUK
I hate religious threads,

That's cool, I dislike sports threads...hense why I don't visit them. It also makes me not feel very strongly about them due to the fact that I don't visit them...because..you know..why would I spend time visiting threads on things I dislike. That would just be silly

Atheist say Religious people are stupid, ignorant, what ever - All because they blindly lay their faith into something that can not be proved.

No, Atheism says they do not believe in deities..There is no stance on people, pizza toppings, paranormal, or anything other than just a disbelief in deities.
What your talking about is a person, whom is also a atheist, is saying that theists are stupid due to faith over facts...in which case, a mothers love is taken on faith which most accept.
Faith is fine..have faith in many things..I do. I have faith in tons of stuff. Atheism does not forbid faith..just a simple disbelief in deities..thats it..so lets stop putting more attributes on them than what need be.

Yet, an Atheist came to the conclusion that there's no God based on their own assumptions - No proof, no facts - Basically the same actions a believer did, but believes the exact opposite.

Aaaand your wrong.
An atheist didn't conclude there are no gods. Atheists do not conclude anything..they simply remain in disbelief until facts and proof is given.
For instance. There is no proof that there is: Little green men living in the center of the earth in a life sustaining pocket of air held together by some form of resonating crystal formation. We can speculate on it..but until some proof is given, then there is no belief.

Tell me...do -you- believe that there are little green men in the center of the world? Or are you one of those Agreniests..(those whom do not believe in the green men)

No matter how you twist it, there's equal evidence to support both sides of the argument

Ahh, well that's the problem right there.
Stop twisting it and just accept it as for what it is, then you will see that there is no equaling the two stance. You got to twist up what atheism is quite a lot in order for it to be equal to a system of beliefs. Actually, you got to twist it completely around

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by n00bUK

Thank you!

Glad to see there is free-thinking people on this site.

I'm flagging this.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 09:19 AM
link   
My personal experiences have taught me that we are all shards of a light which glows brighter the more it knows, and from more perspectives. But, that's just me. I don't expect people to believe what I believe, nor should anyone else advertise to convert to their beliefs. I do have a problem with the monotheistic religions who control with fear and violence.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Casualboy100
I'm sorta in the middle

Why?

Elves..believe or not?
Spiderman, Trolls, Fairies, Golems, Zombies, etc...You in the middle on all those also?

Why (or why not)?

The whole being in the middle thing is for people with no principles. You can hope there is an order in the universe (hell..I do), but until such a time as actual evidence is given and analyzed, then why even bother being in any middle? Disbelief (not denial..just simply not going to believe) until such a time as evidence is provided...either objectively in the form of whatever...but something that nobody can deny and is absolutely proof of a deity, or subjectively (God comes to you at night and you go time travelling or whatnot..your not sleeping, etc...however, don't try to then make your neighbor believe objectively because of your subjective experience..its for you alone).

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Yet, an Atheist came to the conclusion that there's no God based on their own assumptions - No proof, no facts - Basically the same actions a believer did...

....there's equal evidence to support both sides of the argument....

Taking a stance that God doesn't exist when there is no definite proof to prove otherwise, is as 'ignorant' as saying there is a god - Which again entails no definitive proof.

Burden of Proof? on who actually? someone that claim that it exist.

If i say my pet rock could talk? its up to who to prove it? me or you?

We may never know the answer, arguing over what ifs, he said she said, this said this & that said this - Will get you nowhere, just a constant cycle of stalemate, no progression.

Agree.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 09:23 AM
link   
reply to post by n00bUK

I couldn't agree more and thank you for saying it. I'll bet you're not getting a lot of fan mail in your private box over this one. lol....

A little respect from both sides, toward each side, goes a long way...doesn't it? Perhaps it's been living as a member of a minority and oft persecuted Faith that has me sensitive to it above many others, but I think you're right. It is noticeable and it's a regular thing. Really, it's come to be daily, if not multiple times a day on some.

It makes me wonder sometimes...how people with so little stated interest in Faith, spend so much time actively disliking it to ridicule? Seems like a contradiction in ways, doesn't it?

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

Fine I believe religion
now leave me alone!

link   

Originally posted by luciddream
If i say my pet rock could talk? its up to who to prove it? me or you?

If your pet rock can talk...its totally up to the rock to prove it...

I am not saying I don't believe in talking rocks, nor do I think your rock is the rock that can talk. I am agnostic..so I do believe some rocks can talk, just not sure which ones..just...don't toss said rock at me and I won't fully take a stand on this.
(summed up the "agnostics" well, didn't I)

link   

Atheist say Religious people are stupid, ignorant, what ever - All because they blindly lay their faith into something that can not be proved. Yet, an Atheist came to the conclusion that there's no God based on their own assumptions - No proof, no facts - Basically the same actions a believer did, but believes the exact opposite.

The burden of proof lies on the individuals making the claim of a god's existence. I have an absence of a belief in any gods; I'm not trying to prove a negative.

Additionally, the concept of God is essentially worthless - it is unfalsifiable, it has no predictive capabilities, and its nature is capricious. It's better off as a placebo.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Fine I believe religion
now leave me alone!

Any in specific, or all of them combined?

And..naa..your on a discussion forum. Can't take a discussion, then maybe pottery or a nice ant farm may be more your style...just being helpful

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 09:33 AM
link   
wrong post
edit on 7-5-2013 by Casualboy100 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nacirema
Additionally, the concept of God is essentially worthless - it is unfalsifiable, it has no predictive capabilities, and its nature is capricious. It's better off as a placebo.

Maybe...but is the nature of a specific deity qualify as unfalsifiable?

For instance, lets say the SaturnFX Deity, one attribute, is that it will not allow mankind to go to the moon. Well, once mankind goes to mars, isn't that then enough to disprove the (original) SaturnFX deity?

So, Deities by their very nature as a subject may be unfalsifiable, however, specific religions...for instance the deity of the Christian bible has attributes...very broad mind you, but there are some. The deity mentioned in the OT will strike you dead of you do many things (work on sundays, etc). As an experiment then, based on the writings of the OT, we can potentially conduct experiments.

Now, theists may then quickly shift from deity to deity (the OT doesn't count anymore because god evolved as of JC 01BC...which is fine, then you move on to that once you officially remove that one)

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 09:36 AM
link   

It's only helpful I feel like you're helping me. You aren't being helpful towards me.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 09:40 AM
link   

It's only helpful I feel like you're helping me. You aren't being helpful towards me.

Listen, ATS is not your personal blog or friends club. Its a discussion board. If you write something, then its assumed that you write it with the full understanding that you wish to add to or enhance the discussion.

In this case, religion V atheism.

You weighed in publically, you can't then complain, on a discussion forum, that people are discussing what you wrote..its sort of the whole point.

I suspect you are quite young and not fully understanding of what is going on here. That's fine, I will lay off a little bit. But for future reference, Its best to understand before you hit reply that what you say may and probably will be open for point/counterpoint. You don't -have- to respond to every thread..this isn't a survey or an assignment you must put an answer down to. If you don't want to get involved much with a topic...then just leave it blank.

Or at least not bother replying to those (like myself) whom go to a different level. The initial thing I wrote to you was to you, but not just for you. I was responding to the "lazy agnostic" mindset more than you in specific, because there are a lot of em.

Now, you can take what I just wrote as not helpful, or helpful. Everything is a learning experience, if you want it to be.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Both ways of thinking are equally as arrogant. Exhibit A says that there is a god and exhibit B says that there is no God.

When the truth is all we really know is that we know nothing.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 09:43 AM
link   
I don't make many threads and I find myself reading stories in the short story forum and I just posted my thoughts in the thread called Hulk Vs Superman in comic forum. I see lots of threads from both sides and most are just written for S&F's and I understand, I tell you the truth I would stop commenting if people would stop attacking and that goes for the both you atheist & religion.

I follow Christ to God and I'm not letting religion stand in my way.

God Bless my friend.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join