It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Philippines volcano spews giant cloud of ash, killing 5 German tourists climbers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 04:56 AM
link   

Published on May 6, 2013

At least five people are feared dead after one of the Philippines' most active volcanoes spews a giant ash cloud, with foreign tourists on its slopes during the eruption, authorities say.

Volcanic eruption in Philippines kills 5
Shirley Escalante in Manila, wires

Updated 22 minutes ago

Five people have died and several others have been injured after a volcano in the central Philippines erupted unexpectedly on Tuesday.

Disaster management officials say the dead were among a group of 20 foreign tourists climbing Mount Mayon in the central province of Bicol when it erupted.

The victims have been identified as four German tourists and their Filipino tour guide, the NDRRMC said in a statement.

Two helicopters have been sent to the top of the volcano to rescue the surviving tourists.

www.abc.net.au...
edit on 7-5-2013 by MariaLida because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 05:03 AM
link   
One of the Philippines' most active volcanoes spewed huge rocks and ash after daybreak Tuesday, killing at least five climbers and trapping more than a dozen others near the crater in its first eruption in three years, officials said.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 05:08 AM
link   
I'm no vulcanologist but isn't that a precursor to a major eruption?

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 05:12 AM
link   
reply to post by TDawg61

It does not mean necessarily ..

Probably not, but we will see ..

Unfortunately this German tourists chose very wrong time for climbing on Mayon Volcano

Five killed and seven are injured, that is the latest report," National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council chief Eduardo del Rosario said.

www.ibtimes.co.uk...
edit on 7-5-2013 by MariaLida because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by TDawg61
I'm no vulcanologist but isn't that a precursor to a major eruption?

Apparently there are no eruptions detected and a major eruption is ruled out as unlikely. The vulcanologist described what happened as something like a human burping and spewing something out in the process. They said that the exhaust in the volcano might have been clogged and hence the build up of steam and pressure inside the volcano. When the pressure became too high, that's when the high pressured steam went out together with rocks and boulders.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 11:37 AM
link   
5 killed as Philippine volcano spews rocks 'as big as a living room'
By Hrvoje Hranjski, The Associated Press

MANILA, Philippines -- One of the Philippines' most active volcanoes rumbled to life Tuesday, spewing room-sized rocks toward nearly 30 surprised climbers, killing five and injuring others who had to be fetched with rescue helicopters and rope.

The climbers and their Filipino guides had spent the night camping in two groups before setting out at daybreak for the crater of Mayon volcano when the sudden explosion of rocks, ash and plumes of smokes jolted the picturesque mountain, guide Kenneth Jesalva told ABS-CBN TV network by cellphone.

He said rocks "as big as a living room" came raining down, killing and injuring members of his group, some of whom were in critical condition. Jesalva said he rushed back to the base camp at 3,000 feet to call for help.

worldnews.nbcnews.com...

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 10:50 PM
link   
I heard about this yesterday here, and it's too bad for those hikers. I don't think the dead foreigners are all German, I think there were other nationalities as well.

I don't think there are many dormant volcanoes in the Philippines, and those with an open caldera are still active, like Mt. Mayon.

If we see another Mt. Pinatubo eruption soon following this, then I would be very concerned, or another Taal volcano eruption that could wipe out Manila.

What surprises me most about the article is the said use of helicopters. I'm fairly positive there are more privately owned helicopters than owned by all military/government branches combined. Usually those government helicopters are in Mindanao or are private transport for generals and other high ranking officers / gov.

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 11:31 PM
link   
reply to post by MariaLida

I am actually going to Manila next week and planned on visiting Mayon Volcano, guess I need to find something new that day.

new topics

top topics

join