It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SF Issues Warning After Mall Food Handler Diagnosed With Typhoid Fever

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Pardon me if this has been covered, but I did run a search and found nothing under the headline or Typhoid Fever which came even close.

SAN FRANCISCO (CBS SF) – The San Francisco Department of Public Health is warning residents about potential exposure to typhoid fever.

SFDPH reports that a restaurant worker a the Nordstrom Café at Stonestown Galleria has been diagnosed with the infectious disease.
(Source: CBS News)

This doesn't sound happy, does it?

Typhoid fever is a life-threatening illness caused by the bacterium Salmonella Typhi. In the United States, it is estimated that approximately 5,700 cases occur annually. Most cases (up to 75%) are acquired while traveling internationally. Typhoid fever is still common in the developing world, where it affects about 21.5 million persons each year.
(Source: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention)

It sounds like something of concern to those in the Bay area, at least? What a deal.... Go out for a day at the mall and leave with Typhoid. Yikes!

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 11:02 PM
link   
what does typhoid compare to? meaning how contagious is it, also is it something to worry about spreading across the us?

had to add: guess i am going to research it a lil bit to answer my questions
edit on 6-5-2013 by NISMOALTI because: had to add

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 11:12 PM
link   
reply to post by NISMOALTI

Here is another bit from the CDC about spread. It's a direct exposure kind of thing. You need to be around someone who has it or has handled something you then consume and so on.

You can get typhoid fever if you eat food or drink beverages that have been handled by a person who is shedding Salmonella Typhi or if sewage contaminated with Salmonella Typhi bacteria gets into the water you use for drinking or washing food. Therefore, typhoid fever is more common in areas of the world where handwashing is less frequent and water is likely to be contaminated with sewage.
(Same as OP CDC Link)

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 11:15 PM
link   
I thought this was one of those eradicated diseases - guess not.

The bacterium which causes typhoid fever may be spread through poor hygiene habits and public sanitation conditions, and sometimes also by flying insects feeding on feces. Public education campaigns encouraging people to wash their hands after defecating and before handling food are an important component in controlling spread of the disease. According to statistics from the United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the chlorination of drinking water has led to dramatic decreases in the transmission of typhoid fever in the U.S.A.

en.wikipedia.org...

Scary thing is carriers do not always show symptoms - ala Typhoid Mary.

Fifty-one original cases of typhoid and three deaths were directly attributed to her (countless more were indirectly attributed), although she herself was immune to the typhoid bacillus.

www.britannica.com...

edit on 6-5-2013 by Maluhia because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 12:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Maluhia

didnt they lock her up indefinitely back in the day like some people think the NDAA will end up doing? here is to hoping the person infected is not like mary was otherwise this could have worse implications then most people seem to think

new topics

top topics

join