It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

European Commission to criminalize nearly all seeds and plants

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 10:35 PM
link   

European Commission to criminalize nearly all seeds and plants

www.naturalnews.com

(NaturalNews) A new law proposed by the European Commission would make it illegal to "grow, reproduce or trade" any vegetable seeds that have not been "tested, approved and accepted" by a new EU bureaucracy named the "EU Plant Variety Agency."

Learn more: www.naturalnews.com...
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 10:35 PM
link   

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Just posting my initial reaction which is "go ahead and try to take my seeds from me." Will read the article momentarily.

They are trying to own LIFE. Our food, our water, our genes. Some things don't allow a price tag.

This is a naturalnews story so I temper my comments accordingly. But it's no great stretch to know that this is where the tide is turning. Everything that can be monetized will be. Next will be the air we breathe.
edit on 6-5-2013 by otherpotato because: read the source

edit on 6-5-2013 by otherpotato because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Well, this may be necessary until people learn that some of these varieties of plants are not good for their area. Planting seeds that become invasive is not good, they can take over an ecosystem. If they ban GMO foods in the future, I am sure they want them not to contaminate others that are around. I have heard of so many invasive species that were hauled in over here that forced natural plants to go extinct. Some of these plants that are endangered have medical properties that will be lost. I have not seen the law, only read someones interpretation of it that doesn't like regulations.

Although I do not like regulations, I do agree someone should be overseeing some things. I know that they will never get rid of Holy Thistle in Europe, it has always been a valued plant. I doubt if they will ever outlaw dandelions either.
edit on 6-5-2013 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by RedPill
What will you do when the broccoli police come to your door to confiscate your contra ban?

Simple.
Shoot them in the face with my soon to be made illegal firearm.

How much of this CRAP are people going to accept before they decide its too much?

[snip] these morons in power!
[snip] their stupid BS laws!
[snip] their global enslavement plan!
Its time to get them the [snip] out already!

With violence if they refuse to go peacefully!

This is just ridiculous already. I seriously don't know how much more I can take.
As for the mindless sheep that allow this crap to continue, they are no better.
Not going through life with your eyes open is no longer any excuse.

Its right up in everyones face everywhere you look anymore. Ignorance is no longer an excuse.
edit on Tue May 7 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: Mod Note: Do Not Evade the Automatic Censors

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
Well, this may be necessary until people learn that some of these varieties of plants are not good for their area. Planting seeds that become invasive is not good, they can take over an ecosystem. If they ban GMO foods in the future, I am sure they want them not to contaminate others that are around. I have heard of so many invasive species that were hauled in over here that forced natural plants to go extinct. Some of these plants that are endangered have medical properties that will be lost.

Although I do not like regulations, I do agree someone should be overseeing some things. I know that they will never get rid of Holy Thistle in Europe, it has always been a valued plant. I doubt if they will ever outlaw dandelions either.

i presume you've been eating GMO for some time
as that was a very "sane" post,

especially how the Big-GMO cartel would never contaminate natural crops,
and create a monopoloy thusly,
despite all evidence to the contrary.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 10:55 PM
link   
I don't think invasive is the issue. The issue is generally monopolization. In the US, Monsanto would love nothing more than to wipe out every competitor and leave the market with nothing more than their mutant GMO crap.

Laws like this are dangerous. Much of what we plant for crops is not viable on its own, so when a government or a government-sponsored producer manages to limit the seeds available, then the heirloom genetics disappear excepting those who preserve them. If it's illegal, then those who preserve them are rare. And what's left over is the garbage that has been unnaturally selected.

Good luck EU

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by RedPill

the beuracracy is not new - it was established in 1994 and is how companies get sole rights to newly developed seed varieties - usually for 25-30 years - CPVO

the rest of the article is also a beat up - it is not about to criminalize "nearly all seeds" - the registration process appleis to sales only, and only for NEWLY DEVELOPED seeds -whether by "natural" hybrisation or GMO or other means.

all extracts below aer from the link provided in the OP article

This law replaces 12 already existing statutes -

The aim of the proposal is to replace the existing 12 Directives by one single proposed Regulation.

and

The draft proposal consolidates and updates the legislation on marketing of plant reproductive material by repealing and replacing the following 12 Directives: Council Directive 66/401/EEC on the marketing of fodder plant seed, Council Directive 66/402/EEC on the marketing of cereal seed, Council Directive 2002/53/EC on the common catalogue of varieties of agricultural plant species, Council Directive 2002/54/EC on the marketing of beet seed, Council Directive 2002/55/EC on the marketing of vegetable seed, Council Directive 2002/56/EC on
the marketing of seed potatoes, Council Directive 2002/57/EC on the marketing of seed of oil and fibre plants, Council Directive 68/193/EEC on the marketing of material for the vegetative propagation of the vine, Council Directive 1998/56/EC on the marketing of propagating material of ornamental plants, Council Directive 92/33/EEC on the marketing of vegetable propagating and planting material, other than seed, Council Directive 2008/90/EC on the marketing of fruit plant propagating material and fruit plants intended for fruit production and Council Directive 1999/105/EC of 22 December 1999 on the marketing of forest reproductive material.

It also only applies to commercial sellers:

Furthermore, plant reproductive material exchanged in kind between two persons other than professional operators is excluded from the scope of the Regulation.

It's just a "natural news" beatup relying on people to not bother actually reading or understanding the proposal.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 11:00 PM
link   
reply to post by otherpotato

Next will be the air we breathe.

That is what the carbon tax is for.

My guess is the seeds accepted for cultivation would only be of the GM variety.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Anyone that gives into tyranny is a traitor to their children. I would never yield anything to them. I only obey laws that are reasonable. I don't speed, and don' want to murder the baby coming back from the hospital. I don't steal. Etc. But they don't take any rights from me that I don't agree with, for I didn't put them on the cutting block of my pimply faced, mcdonalds employee, which is all police, all politicians, all judges, etc etc. They are but servants.

They are here to uphold our sovereign rights and freedoms and pass on our childrens inheritance intact and even more propserous.

Don't ever ever ever sell out your rights and even giving in to anything that is against common law of thou shalt not harm, and tyranny is MAJOR harm, SLAVERY is major harm, FASCISM/THEOCRACY is major harm. Its illegal. Don't break the law of your conscience.

And get bullhorns and let them know.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 11:04 PM
link   
S&F
No wonder Euro is crap, and
no wonder many EU countries have collapsed.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

Planting seeds that become invasive is not good, they can take over an ecosystem.

True. And it's unfortunate that idiocy has to lead to excessive regulation.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowLink

Originally posted by RedPill
What will you do when the broccoli police come to your door to confiscate your contra ban?

Simple.
Shoot them in the face with my soon to be made illegal firearm.

How much of this CRAP are people going to accept before they decide its too much?

F these morons in power!
F their stupid BS laws!
F their global enslavement plan!
Its time to get them the F out already!

With violence if they refuse to go peacefully!

This is just ridiculous already. I seriously don't know how much more I can take.
As for the mindless sheep that allow this crap to continue, they are no better.
Not going through life with your eyes open is no longer any excuse.

Its right up in everyone's face everywhere you look anymore. Ignorance is no longer an excuse.

well spoken! You are truly an "insane" person, in this "sane" world.
I am quite "Mad" MySelf, and when The Church of The Universal Truth is firmly established [pending the development and construction of Faith Generators™, Faith Batteries™ and their attendant Faith Technology™ ] you have my cordial invitation to join as a Cardinal. as Direct Channeler, empowered by the Faith of the Laity, you wont need a gun, when the Church decides to cleanse this world of vermin.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 11:21 PM
link   
It could also be a step to stop Monsanto and the like.

You need more information before you go and get bent all out of shape.

P

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 11:25 PM
link   

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aloysius the Gaul
reply to post by RedPill

it is not about to criminalize "nearly all seeds" - the registration process appleis to sales only, and only for NEWLY DEVELOPED seeds -whether by "natural" hybrisation or GMO or other means.

Every time you naturally pollinate a plant, a hybridization occurs unless the pollen was from a clone or the same plant.
All of our vegetables are a result of centuries of hybridization. Serious garners do it all the time. Read about the Mortgage Lifter tomato. Also many gardeners have the insane belief that they can sell their vegetables from time to time. Since the vast majority of us get our vegies from commercial growers, I suspect we will ultamatly let this type of law slide through out of ignorance and indifference.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by LeLeu

My guess is the seeds accepted for cultivation would only be of the GM variety.

And here is where we find our issue. I'm still reading the full EU proposal for "plant reproductive material" so I can't form a firm opinion just yet. But just the words "reproductive material" being used in this context makes me shudder.

"Follow the money" is my mantra these days. It's the only cause worth keeping an interest in.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by pheonix358
It could also be a step to stop Monsanto and the like.

You need more information before you go and get bent all out of shape.

P

given an even superficial knowledge of history, especially european history, i doubt it.
they are the "sanest" people on earth.

a crazy old man by the name of Einstein, said it best : "Greed Kills"

given monsatan's long history of sowing tares and poisoning wells...
i'd say we have more than enough info

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 11:36 PM
link   
So that realy why they bilt that underground seed Vault

Only they will have the original seed

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 11:51 PM
link   
reply to post by RedPill

Every time you naturally pollinate a plant, a hybridization occurs unless the pollen was from a clone or the same plant. All of our vegetables are a result of centuries of hybridization. Serious gardners do it all the time. Read about the Mortgage Lifter tomato. Also many gardeners have the insane belief that they can sell their vegetables from time to time. Since the vast majority of us get our veggies from commercial growers, I suspect we will ultimately let this type of law slide through out of ignorance and indifference.

This bears repeating.

Consider in a hypothetical different example the genes in your body. You have a gene in your body that has been patented by a company for monetary gain. You, with your ability to reproduce, produce a child with that gene. That gene is owned by the people who found it and patented it. You, by reproducing, could be in copyright infringement for that gene depending on how you "used" it.

I'm reaching on purpose to show how far this could be taken. I'm being purposefully paranoid. But it is not so far off.

There are already cases of farmers being sued for saving seed that got mixed with patented GMO seed - through no nefarious purpose other than their seed cross pollinated with the GMO seed. The GMO companies have unlimited resources to fight a fight in court. What does the average farmer have to fight against that? We just want to grow food.

I'm not saying the OP's article is a good example of this situation (I can't say because I didn't yet finish reading the full proposal - it's late so give me a break). But it did force me to revisit a subject that is very near and dear to my heart.

My seed is my seed. I grew those plants. I raised them. I loved them. I collected their harvest. I can replant them, share them, throw them away if I want to. You can't tell me what to do with my own seed. I don't care how much money you have invested in your GMO seed. I should be suing YOU for contaminating my seed with your crap.

Sorry for ranting. But this [snip] always pushes me over the edge.
edit on Tue May 7 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: Mod Note: Do Not Evade the Automatic Censors

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join