It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teens help disabled classmate gain independence with robotic locker opener

page: 1

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on May, 6 2013 @ 07:33 PM
link   
This is a good story of friends helping their disabled friend out. I also wanted to share this story because of how it relates to robotics too. Nothing is better then this.

Due to muscular dystrophy Nick Torrance, a junior in high school, is in a wheelchair unable to walk and can’t perform simple tasks like opening his own locker. That is, until his fellow classmates developed a robotic system that would give him back this one bit of independence.

Thanks to the work of two Pinckney Community High School students in Michigan, Torrance is able to wave his hand over a sensor and pop open his locker. Doing this action again shuts the locker. When she couldn’t find a device to help Torrance out with this dilemma over the Internet, she enlisted robotics teacher Sean Hickman and seniors Micah Stuhldreher and Wyatt Smrcka to help.

Through trial and error and working with Torrance, the seniors, who won first place at the SkillsUSA robotics competition in 2012, developed a system that not only helps Torrance but could help other disabled students as well. Stuhldreher and Smrcka won a $1,500 minigrant from the Society of American Military Engineers to make more robotic lockers for other disabled students.

This is awesome and it's terrible I cannot find a YouTube video. Because I can only find one workable video through another news site. However, the article is good enough. I'm glad people can help out others in need. Gives more hope for the future.

Source
Source 1
Source 2

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Thats super cool. Another reason why we have to keep investing in our childrens education.

On a personal note, I actually worked on the heating/air conditioning system when that school was first built.

It seemed a bit big back then as Pinckney isnt a large community but if they have a robotics dept apparently was money well spent.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 10:22 PM
link   
...post like this - two responses.

...post where some kid tries to rape his own mother? Hundreds.

Welcome to earth.

Seriously though - thank you for posting this. It's so great to hear some positive news for once - and people actually going out of their way to HELP someone.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Awen24

I agree with you 100%
It's nice to see something positive for a change and it's wonderful that these students wanted to help.
thanks OP

S&F

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 08:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Phoenix267

SnF friend!
That is awesome news! How smart of those kids and how thoughtful of them to want to help out a fellow student. That makes me smile and tear up at how nice that is.

We need more thoughtful and nice people in this world. Thank you for sharing this good news

Have a wonderful day!
Peace and love
-nat

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 08:27 AM
link   
I am a big advocate for teaching kids in new ways to engage creative learning.

Games and learning for kids can go hand an hand and is making huge strides in todays world, as well as showing kids things that spark creative thinking, since many times it's rich in science and technology, and can help shed new lights on interests kids may not otherwise have seen.

It's how we create the next brick and mortar job seekers of tomorrow as well as the new job creators.

I love seeing youth innovate reality.

Opensource the future!

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 08:29 AM
link   
So the school system doesn't provide for handicapped students to have an accessible locker? It's up too the kids to help him out? Kudos to the kids for helping and shame on the school system for ignoring this problem.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Nice to see them helping, instead of harassing this disabled kid. So many times you see kids in wheelchairs made fun of by their peers. [ Which infuriates me ] Glad they got the grant money to build more. Wish schools would put more money into helping the kids, instead of building new football stadiums.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Okay, this is awesome! Keep those grants coming!

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Way to go, those kids will always be remembered for their kindness and ingenuity. What they did will help so many now.

These are the best stories!

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 02:07 PM
link   
I like the whole thing except that its funded by the society of "military" engineers

How come every good invention, except the iphone, velcro, and tang, has to come from something developed for war purposes?

My guess is the tech will be in the hands of all military at will with ease but will be very hard for the average disable citizen to get.

Very smart students, I applaud them. I hope they engage in a career whey they use this skill for non military efforts

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 05:35 PM
link   
I wish more people cared to the point of actually doing something to help the people who are less fortunate or cannot lead "normal" lives. I do not believe in feeling sorry for people, but that does not mean I do not go out of my way to help others. It is just the right thing to do. But, knowing human nature, especially the nature of some high school students, I find myself wondering if anyone can open this locker...That might not be the best thing. It would be worse in a bigger school, where there is always less accountability because of the number of students. But in a smaller school this would probably be okay. Many schools, even smaller ones, have cameras in the hallways nowadays, so maybe they should place one on this area. I would just hate to see someone do something stupid like open and trash this guy's locker, just because they are ignorant.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 04:06 PM
link   
this is neat

new topics

top topics

join