It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The U.S. government has been running a quantum internet for over two years

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by darkbake

Quantum?

Ya don't know the half of it.

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 08:58 PM
link   
So, basically, we "know" that if they are announcing this now they've had it and been using for decades. OR, they have something better and this tech is moot.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 03:41 AM
link   
reply to post by superluminal11

There is a step above a quantum internet??

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by darkbake
reply to post by superluminal11

There is a step above a quantum internet??
Septum and it is really expensive.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 03:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by darkbake
So in quantum physics, two particles can be entangled and that means that when one of them is moved, the other one moves - it happens faster than the speed of light, and can be used to communicate instantly at a distance.

Check out the additional article from Phys.org. I think they are using quantum communication without entanglement.

The main advantage they are going for in this case is security - if someone eavesdrops, or observes the quantum signal, it will leave a trail.

Quantum entanglement communication has been seen in sci-fi as a useful way to communicate through space. Although a lot of older academics seem to dismiss this as fantasy, I'm glad steps are being taken to get there.

rt.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 6-5-2013 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-5-2013 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

About time, I always thought it was kind of risky, and unintelligent to use the commercial internet for anything other than non-critical things.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaveStinger
reply to post by MysterX

Easy peasy.

Right, that's why the consensus is that entanglement cannot be used for FTL communication.

It doesn't matter what intricate system you build around it, we always have to verify the manipulations to make sense of the results, and this will always require classical communication.

I wont even mention that no FTL anything is going on with entanglement, not even instantanious action at a distance, it merely appears to us like that.

The communication wouldn't be faster than light speed, it would be instantaneous.

You can't get faster than that, unless you can manipulate Quantum mechanics and effects to allow faster than Instantaneous (FTI) speeds...that would involve sending a Quantum packet into the past or into the future in order to communicate with the past, or indeed our future with our present.

(there is actually mainstream theories regarding Quantum entanglement operating not just over distance, but through time)

Regarding your point about dropback from Quantum to Classical to enable interaction with the Qbit...that's exactly what the effect would rely upon!

I obviously didn't explain my thinking well enough.

The 'Locally generated' Quantum particles (at both ends of the communication line) would be REQUIRED to dropback into classical realms of physics, in order for us to interrogate the Quantum information being sent and recieved.

The action by which this could be achieved, would be the particles dropping from Quantum to Classical that we locally use to intercept those that are the actual signal, would themselves return to a Classical state as soon as we tried to read or decode them (by any means)...it is deciphering the pattern or sequence of those particles that are showing up as classical, and hence readable - that would allow 'break in' to the Quantum signal being sent, without disturbing it or causing it to become classical...as we wouldn't be observing or interacting with the original signal...only the locally generated signal purposely designed to dropback into a classical and readable state.

IOW, the locally generated Quantum particles acts as a Quantum interrogator, and drops back to become a Classical signal that we can read.

Still doesn't make a lot a sense does it?

It's hard to take abstract concepts directly out of my head and order them into understandable text.

Ahh well...it was only an idea.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join