It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kids and guns at the NRA

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 07:41 AM
link   
OMG somebody wants to teach children safety!!!

I guess we should just let ignorance and mystery rule the day since education is so horrible.

"Say no to drugs" needs to end because it's just reinforcing the American drug culture.

Sexual education needs to end because it's just reinforcing American sex culture.

Drivers ed need to end because it's just reinforcing American car culture.

Ignorance should be all that's encouraged. For the kids own safety. Keep them ignorant and lock them in little padded rooms until they turn 18 then just let them loose on the world.

I need a vacation from this planet. You're all too #ing stupid to deal with.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 08:12 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
You're all too #ing stupid to deal with.

Maybe you do need a break if you're so intolerant of people whose opinions disagree with yours.

If people wanted to teach their children gun safety, they would do it in the appropriate setting. These parents are making a political statement. The third picture in the OP shows a little girl who is clearly not interested in what her father is making her do.

The NRA offers these kids a free 6-month membership to get them started. Sound familiar?

The NRA USED to be an organization about gun safety. Now, it is a political organization that uses it's weight (read money) to control politicians.

One grandfather bought his 3-year-old granddaughter a lifetime NRA membership. Just what every little girl wants. IMO, she's not old enough to make a lifetime decision. Many of these people are USING their children for political purposes and that's sick.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

You're all too #ing stupid to deal with.

Whoa! so much anger and frustration because people have different opinions?.

I hope you don't have a gun dude.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 08:17 AM
link   
It makes sense to me to teach kids the right way to use a gun than to keep them ignorant. When a parent owns a gun, regardless if that gun is used for hunting or self deffence and there are kids in the house, it is better to porprely educate the kids how dangerous a gun can be if not used or handled in the correct manner than to just ignore the potential devastating situation it can cause.

I see no problem in educating kids about guns, education is the # 1 key to safe use and a safe home. It's not that complicated !

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 08:17 AM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

I never said anything of the sort, and thats hardly what this is about. This is about creating another generation of brand-loyal gun consumers. Look again. Its all sponsored by crimson trace and other manufacturers.

Obviously, the NRA isn't trotting out a gun-toting mascot. The kids are at these events because they are they with their parents who are obviously gun enthusiasts. It is proper and prudent that such kids learn to RESPECT the power of guns and know safe handling procedures if they are in a house with firearms. That said, most gun owners with children lock them away, and only allow kids to handle them IN THEIR PRESENCE, with full ADULT SUPERVISION.

Personally, I think it is a bit irresponsible until the kid is at least a tween, but it is not up to me to make decisions for the children of others. In this, though, the NRA is not trying to "snag" the kids market....the kids' parents are introducing them to this idea.

I value guns, but I am no enthusiast. I responsibly lock up my guns at all times. My guns are for scaring away vultures and home protection. However, I do make sure those in my household are trained in their use, and know how to safely handle them and respect them (i.e. never pointing it at a person, checking the weapon is not loaded after, etc.)

To another:

The NRA USED to be an organization about gun safety. Now, it is a political organization that uses it's weight (read money) to control politicians.

What do you expect? Those same politicians are constantly courted by knee-jerk emotional morons who try to rush legislation into law every time someone dies by a gun, without considering the consequences of impacting it's very industry (or the realities of what such legislation will and will not prevent)...of COURSE they are going to try and gain influence here.

edit on 7-5-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

The NRA offers these kids a free 6-month membership to get them started. Sound familiar?

Sounds just like when the cops handed out D.A.R.E. shirts at school.

Sounds like when Progressive offered 10% off vouchers at my driver's ed class.

Sounds a lot like getting student aid eligibility for registering for the draft.

It's a ridiculous thing to harp on. Especially considering to be consistent you'd have to be harping on similar perks across all spectrum's of life. Besides, it's not like these kids have disposable income to maintain their memberships or the ability to vote. In ten years time when they are eligible they'll be drastically different people than they are today with no guarantee how they'll feel about guns or politics.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 08:43 AM
link   
The NRA has always had good programs to help teach children gun safety. My boys have seen the Eddy Eagle videos and can qoute it word for word. They own airsoft guns and are learning the proper way to handle handguns as well as rifles. If you don't want to teach your children such values, then don't. Move on with your life and leave the rest of us alone. I will not tell you how to raise your children and you do not tell me how to raise mine. Fair enough?

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Interesting thread.
I find it quite heinous to market anything to children. Children should not be making those kinds of decisions without parental oversight.
Any of the breakfast cereals that DIRECTLY advertise to children are a good example. How many people's lives have been adversely affected by the ingestion of copious amounts of sugar? Diabetes, blindness; even death due to the long term effects of excessive sugar consumption. Not to mention the staggering costs involved in the treatment of those ailments. Side note: Did you know that the "fat" removed from so called "healthy" fat free foods is replaced by sugar?
And I have NEVER seen the sugar lobby make any effort to train people in the safe and proper way of consuming their product.
The OP seems only concerned about guns, though.
Which begs the question: "Does captaintyinknots feel as outraged about other products, known to be dangerous if not handled properly, being marketed to kids?"
If so, we are in agreement. If not, I find his failure to be as outraged about, say, the sugar lobby pushin' their product at kids, as he is about guns to be quite.........illogical........ and very telling. One need not say the actual words to convey the meaning and intent of the argument. Words are but a tiny fraction of the means humans employ to communicate.
Op, how DO you feel about the unrestrained hawking of dangerous products to kids? Or do you just think the problem is confined to guns?

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 08:51 AM
link   
reply to post by borracho

I guess its more about kids bringing gun to school or try to intimidate others kids with their guns. Its possible because they are still kids.

We all know about how some parents keep they weapons secured
, heck some even have it loaded. And of course not all parents are like that.

Recent news about kids shooting each other by accident is a good example.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 08:52 AM
link   
EDIT - Sorry BH, I'm still trying to figure out how, but somehow it EDITED your post instead of copying it to use for quotes.
I tried to go back in the browser, but alas. My apologies. - Gazrok.

reply to post by Gazrok

Eddie Eagle. The NRA Mascot.

The Eddie Eagle program and its namesake character were developed by the National Rifle Association for children who are generally considered too young to be allowed to handle firearms. While maturity levels vary, the Eddie Eagle program is intended for children of any age from pre-school through third grade.

I stand corrected, just didn't see this evidenced in the pics. I think this is more for the safety videos though, than marketing goals.

I don't think this is true at all. Parents Not Locking up Guns

I'll amend it to RESPONSIBLE gun owners with children lock them up.

If the NRA wasn't trying to encourage gun ownership of young people, why would they have a "kid's day" in the first place? Parents can introduce them without the aid of the public forum of the NRA convention.

Gun safety would still be a consideration here.

I wish more people felt that way.

Agreed. In a rural setting though, firearms are almost a necessity. I can't depend on the cops getting here in time to save my family, for example, from a meth-head prowler at night. No matter what though, kids in the house just by common sense, should equate to LOCKING the guns up.

Absolutely agreed! I blame the politicians more than the NRA, in fact. When 90% of the people want more comprehensive background checks and Congress votes it down, they should lose their jobs. And I think they will in 2014.

Agreed, though I think the 90% is a bit exaggerated. Not to mention, useless. Gun crimes are NOT committed by folks purchasing guns through a gun shop. They are largely from stolen or black market sources, and thus these further checks only hamper legitimate business. They do nothing to actually prevent crimes. I do agree that any gun seller business should be required to do the legally required background check, but the existing laws are enough to prohibit sale based on established guidelines....as long as they are enforced (and most gun shops are self-policing, due to a good relationship with local law enforcement as it is). The guy I go to for any gun needs runs a shop that is even a police supply shop, for example.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 09:02 AM
link   

I see no issue at all.

Now, let me state this. I am a father of 3 kids, varying ages under 10. As of now, none show the maturity level that makes me comfortable in having them handle firearms. My oldest wants to in the worst way, go out with me to shoot and so on, but I still don't think it is the right time.
I grew up around guns, I have Military and LE training, I have firearms training and trainer training. I will be manufacturing firearms in the next 60 days as a family business. My oldest will spend Saturdays at the office with me, learning first to clean the office and how to weld and other things, before she learns how to disassemble a firearm.

Now, this is MY decision. Not societies, not the Govt, MINE. If people want to take their kids to this, or any other firearm related events, I say more power to them. My kids will be going once they show the maturity level I deem as necessary.

There is nothing in this that makes things worse. The Anti-Gun Rights crowd will attack regardless.

It is great to see families getting out. Plus, the whole attendance levels being 98k from 15k last year.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 09:04 AM
link   

You're rather snarky, you know that?

Either way, I posted that before really reading in to what you're actually talking about. Something I have no interest in because it's not an issue.

Good day.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Personally, I feel that introducing guns to children who are not mature enough to understand AND carry out the purpose of the weapon, which is to kill, highly irresponsible. What age is that? Who knows.
I remember taking my hunter safety course when I was 12, and even though I grew up with guns in the house, they were 100% off limits until then; however, I think this is a good benchmark for the age kids should be to learn.

I have a 5 year old. If one day he tells me he wants a gun, I will be right there to teach him the proper way to handle it; however, what I'm seeing are parents that are going out of their way to introduce weapons to children as young as my son, and sometimes even younger. There is no amount of safety training that will teach these young kids discretion during a high stress situation, nor will safety training be able to help them cope with the psychological trauma that comes with killing something at such a young age.
So, I'm just left wondering why?
Given the fact that guns are 43x more likely to harm a household member over an intruder, why would you introduce a weapon to a child who is unable to make life or death decisions?

In that respect, I agree 100% with the OP.
Promoting gun safety to children too young to carry out the act of killing is irresponsible by the NRA.
edit on 7-5-2013 by xEphon because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Or people in the media using their kids to promote gay rights, on a tv show?

Or taking their kids to OWS protests.

Your fake outrage is loud, but void of anything.

edit on 7-5-2013 by macman because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by macman

I don't know. The people who are using their children to promote gay rights aren't encouraging them to BE gay... Unlike the gun owners who are encouraging their kids to USE guns.

And I'm not outraged at all. I'm simply sharing my opinion. Not everyone who involves themselves in the current firearms discussions is rabid.
I support the second amendment. I'm just saying that I think some of these parents are forcing their kids to be involved in guns, to learn about guns and to learn to USE guns for political reasons.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 10:27 AM
link   

I don't know. The people who are using their children to promote gay rights aren't encouraging them to BE gay... Unlike the gun owners who are encouraging their kids to USE guns.

What hypocrisy.
The examples given, are pushing their kids to except the item addressed.
The gun owners are doing the same. I have no qualms on either. But, I am not going to read BS and just let it remain and read as truth.

And I'm not outraged at all. I'm simply sharing my opinion. Not everyone who involves themselves in the current firearms discussions is rabid.
I support the second amendment. I'm just saying that I think some of these parents are forcing their kids to be involved in guns, to learn about guns and to learn to USE guns for political reasons.

I did not see one photo of a parent forcing their child to hold a gun, or a kid trowing a tantrum because they were forced to be there.
As for political reasons??? Yeah, because the kids posed for the pictures, as opposed to the kid interviewed by her mother talking about homosexuality and then putting on nightly news.

Again, fake outrage.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by captaintyinknots
Apologies if this has been posted, I did a search but using the term 'NRA' yields a ridiculous amount of results, and I didnt see this one in the mess.

Let me start by saying, I am very pro-2nd amendment. I am in no way anti-gun. But to me, this is just WAY over the top, and a fine example of how the NRA is making the situation worse, not better.
news.yahoo.com...

(visit the link for the whole slideshow)
Anyone else starting to get the feeling that the NRA is working to discredit themselves?

Look at those kids in the pictures very closely.

You will not see any of those kids shooting each other in the streets.

However, many other kids who get their hands on guns without being taught their significance will be shooting each other in the streets.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by macman

Originally posted by macman
Again, fake outrage.

Again, not outraged.
You sound a bit angry, though.

Look, these aren't my kids. I don't care if they learn about guns and kill each other or their parents. It's really no harm to me. I also don't care if the parents are using their kids for political reasons. That's their choice. I was just pointing it out.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Again, not outraged.
You sound a bit angry, though.

Who is angry?
Funny, as that is also a talking point used by any Anti-Gun Rights person. The whole angry statement and all.

Look, these aren't my kids. I don't care if they learn about guns and kill each other or their parents. It's really no harm to me. I also don't care if the parents are using their kids for political reasons. That's their choice. I was just pointing it out.

So, you aren't outraged, are pro gun rights yet make statements like the kids will kill each other. Yeah, I think your views are being shown to the world.
If you didn't care, then why bring it up, or defend the use of kids for the gay rights agenda?

Fake outrage still stands.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by defuntion
Look at those kids in the pictures very closely.

You will not see any of those kids shooting each other in the streets.

However, many other kids who get their hands on guns without being taught their significance will be shooting each other in the streets.

I'd take that bet.

Sadly, there have been children who were killed at firearms shows while they were being shown how to fire guns --Christopher Bizilj being one of them. -- and the look on the little girl's face who's handling the machine gun seems to indicate that she's not in favor of firing the thing.

Someone has mentioned gun clubs and Scouts... I can say that in the 1950's/1960's, no Girl Scout organization I was involved with had anything to do with guns (shooting guns was not "feminine" and therefore "not attractive.") While "bb guns" were advertised in some magazines and comics (my brother had one), no one back then advocated for kids shooting anything with more firepower than that.

And yes, as someone the OP suggested, these kinds of photos are not charming and reassuring to someone like myself (who does not own a gun and would not feel safer if you strolled up wearing your gun or carrying your rifles.) When I compare these images with what we had back in the 1950's, I'm not reassured about these kids... particularly after reading stories about how kids with legal firearms in the household have used these same items and their own training (on guns) to kill others.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join