It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kids and guns at the NRA

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 08:23 PM
link   
i dont see the problem with teaching people how to handle fire arms safely being a bad thing? and fyi the bottom two images are either dummy guns or more likely air soft guns (look at the large orange tips) so that seems like even more of a compermise teach them how to handle airsoft guns before trusting them with real guns to make sure they are mature enough to operate firearms as kind of a litmus test of their responsibility

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Echo3Foxtrot

I'm pro-free speech but abti-people actually talking. Speaking freely isn't cool or hip or trendy. Kids shouldn't be taught that speaking their mind is cool. And THAT is the same argument you made about guns. Only this is about he freedom of speech.
How in the hell did you get from point A to point B there? Thats is just nonsensical.

You don't want guns to seem "cool" or "hip.
No, i dont. Nor did the people who created the second amendment.

You want children to see them as tools of destruction.
Please, dont lie. I never once used the word destruction. Lying does not make you argument stronger.

Something to be feared
See the response in the preceding line.

Something they will never have the courage to even handle

Where are you getting this from? Are you sure you are responding in the correct thread? If you are, you are quite lost (or are blatantly distorting what I have said).

Face the facts, guns are just as cool as computers and cars.
Yikes. Maybe the best example of someone who doesnt get it that ive seen yet.

They are a hobby.
Yes they are.

. I have friends that could list off the specs of a computer just by looking at what's inside and I have friends who could pick out the right parts from a huge pile to properly put together the right gun....you know like, "here's a giant pile of gun parts! Now build a SIG P250 with all original parts!"
I can do both(though I personally am not a fan of the p250, feels very clumsy to me). So whats your point?

This gun culture you believe is so detrimental is actually quite healthy and a great hobby for young adults and something great to teach children (at least as far as proper handling and respect for the weapon).
So, all of this, and you have not yet even touched on the point of this thread. Well played.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by tovenar

Apple and Microsoft donate jillions of computer devices to grade schools. Why?---get 'em while their young.
Yup, and like I asid, marketing specifically to kids is a predatory behavior.

My state mandates a hunter safety certificate before a young person can get their first license. Until Bass Pro followed home depot's lead and started offering Saturday morning clinics... you know how you got the certificate in Texas? That's right, the NRA.
There are hundreds of places to get certified, and again, that has nothing to do with the point. Its about marketing to kids.

There are only two programs in full swing in Texas that try to educate children about what to do if they find a gun on a school playground: The Boy Scouts, and the NRA. And the Boy Scouts program was developed by the NRA.
Simply not true, there are dozens of organizations that teach kids what to do if they find a gun.

There is no corporate sponsorship, or wasn't for the course I saw; after all, what gun-maker wants to be associated with guns on a playground???
If it was NRA, yes there was.

The NRA actually provides a lot of research, education and safety materials; but you'd actually have to spend time with them to know that. And flippant opinions nurtured by a climate of government-inculcated mistrust are not conducive to real knowledge.
You assume a lot here. Love the insinuation though, classic.

The OP, bless his/her heart, is merely responding to the stimuli presented by the media overlords: Pictures of guns are EEWWWWW scary. Pictures of Kids and guns stop your heart. And the NRA is fat old ugly white men who are evil and rich.
You assume to know what I am responding to? Gold. Just gold, Jerry! I get it, the pro-NRA crowd cant see anything that even questions them without going on the attack, but come on now

With prejudice like that, what else is the OP going to do, but quiver in fear (and prejudice) at the very thought of the NRA...
Seriously, totally predictable. You can do better than ad hom silliness.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by RalagaNarHallas

i dont see the problem with teaching people how to handle fire arms safely being a bad thing?

Im not sure where anyone has said it is...

and fyi the bottom two images are either dummy guns or more likely air soft guns (look at the large orange tips) so that seems like even more of a compermise teach them how to handle airsoft guns before trusting them with real guns to make sure they are mature enough to operate firearms as kind of a litmus test of their responsibility
Most of the pictures are dummies.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 08:57 PM
link   
eddieeagle.nra.org... for what its worth this is the kind of info the nra teaches kids and again i dont see anything wrong with it and hell if you really have such a problem with people marketing products specifically at children and view it as predatory perhaps you should campaign against toys r us i mean my gods man a whole store full of advertisements geared specifically twords children my gods the humanity!

What Should You Teach Your Child About Gun Safety? If you have decided that your child is not ready to be trained in a gun's handling and use, teach him or her to follow the instructions of NRA's Eddie Eagle GunSafe®Program. If you find a gun: STOP! Don't Touch. Leave the Area. Tell an Adult. The initial steps of "Stop" and "Don't Touch" are the most important. To counter the natural impulse to touch a gun, it is imperative that you impress these steps of the safety message upon your child. In today's society, where adult supervision is not always possible, the direction to"Leave the Area"is also essential. Under some circumstances, area may be understood to be a room if your child cannot physically leave the apartment or house. "Tell an Adult"emphasizes that children should seek a trustworthy adult, neighbor, relative or teacher - if a parent or guardian is not available. The NRA's Eddie Eagle GunSafe Program includes an instructor guide, activity books, poster, and an animated video to explain its four-step safety message. For more information about the program, visit Eddie Eagle or call (800) 231-0752.
yeah really urging those kids to go out and buy guns(something they cant legaly do until they are 18/21 depending on what type of gun purchassed so if anything the advertisements are geared at parents you know the ones with jobs and money to buy fire arms as until they get up to teen age they dont usualy have the kind of money to buy a gun with their own money nor the legal means to do it until they come of age

now parents can let their children use the parents guns under their direct supervision but the guns belong to the parents until they are of age so trying to say that the nra gears advertisements to kids who dont have the means or the legal methods of acquireing such weapons is flat out wrong

www.businessinsider.com... here is a list of gun adds from waaaaay back in the day to todays time and only two of them even featured children and both were from the 1950'ish none from today as far a i can tell other then the cricket (a child sized 22 bolt action rifle not one of the evil hand guns you seem to deplore) and even they are changing their policy as they were one of the few actually doing what you accuse the nra of doing news.nationalpost.com... and the only reason this child managed to shoot his sister was piss poor planning on the parents part as leaving a loaded gun in a corner of a house and considering that child safe is negligence of the highest sort and why the parents are being brought up on charges

so as one of the only gun compaines that did advertiese to kids isnt doing it any more id be more worried about the junk food comercials that the kiddies get bombarded more then any gun adds they may by chance see

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 08:57 PM
link   
I cant help but think that hte idea of teaching kids ot be "sagfe with guns" at an early age parallels other things we teach kids about - car/road safety, alcohol, sex......only we tend to wait a bit longer before introducing them to actually using those don't we?

I mean we teach kids road safety - but not how to drive. And we teach kids about biology - my kids knew the P and V words when they were about 6...and had pretty much forgotten them by the time they weer 8!!
We also certainly teach responsible use of alcohol - or some do/try to - but I dont' think we teach kids about that until they are old enough to be abel to reason for themselves. We also teach fire safety.

IMO "gun safety" for children should be about not playing or fooling around with guns rather than "how to use them safely".

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 09:08 PM
link   
shine.yahoo.com... did find this though where anti gunners are using kids to try to shame people in to infringe upon our second amendment,they seem to have no problem using kids in their anti gun advertisements so perhaps you should be more offended by this kind of advertising

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 09:09 PM
link   

eddieeagle.nra.org... for what its worth this is the kind of info the nra teaches kids and again i dont see anything wrong with it and hell if you really have such a problem with people marketing products specifically at children and view it as predatory perhaps you should campaign against toys r us i mean my gods man a whole store full of advertisements geared specifically twords children my gods the humanity!

I never said the NRA doesnt have good programs for children. There is a difference between teaching gun safety, and marketing guns to kids.

And for the record, I boycott toy-r-us

yeah really urging those kids to go out and buy guns(something they cant legaly do until they are 18/21 depending on what type of gun purchassed so if anything the advertisements are geared at parents you know the ones with jobs and money to buy fire arms as until they get up to teen age they dont usualy have the kind of money to buy a gun with their own money nor the legal means to do it until they come of age
ugh. Obviously they arent telling kids to buy guns, considering that it is not legal. What they ARE doing is MARKETING guns to kids to make kids WANT to buy them. Its basic marketing, and its not that complicated.

now parents can let their children use the parents guns under their direct supervision but the guns belong to the parents until they are of age so trying to say that the nra gears advertisements to kids who dont have the means or the legal methods of acquireing such weapons is flat out wrong
Incorrect. Its illegal for kids to buy tobacco (and has been for some time). So why, then, did tobacco companies, for SO LONG, market directly to kids?

here is a list of gun adds from waaaaay back in the day to todays time and only two of them even featured children and both were from the 1950'ish none from today as far a i can tell other then the cricket (a child sized 22 bolt action rifle not one of the evil hand guns you seem to deplore) and even they are changing their policy as they were one of the few actually doing what you accuse the nra of doing news.nationalpost.com... and the only reason this child managed to shoot his sister was piss poor planning on the parents part as leaving a loaded gun in a corner of a house and considering that child safe is negligence of the highest sort and why the parents are being brought up on charges
1)Im not accusing the NRA of doing anything, they are ADVERTISING that they ARE doing it.
2) WHy are you all so predictable. Why do you all come in and ad words such as 'evil' to what I have said, in an attempt to change the context? Why do you all feel the need to be intellectually dishonest to make your points (or to discredit mine)?

As far as that story goes, it has NOTHING to do with this thread. That was a parenting failure, plain and simple.

so as one of the only gun compaines that did advertiese to kids isnt doing it any more id be more worried about the junk food comercials that the kiddies get bombarded more then any gun adds they may by chance see
You seem to be confused about the difference between advertising with marketing. Advertising is one very small part of marketing. It is not all that marketing is.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by RalagaNarHallas
shine.yahoo.com... did find this though where anti gunners are using kids to try to shame people in to infringe upon our second amendment,they seem to have no problem using kids in their anti gun advertisements so perhaps you should be more offended by this kind of advertising
Why do you assume I am not? Go back and look through my posting history and you will find plenty of posts, from me, stating how disgusting I think it is that children are being used for political gains.

I am left to wonder why so many people on here cant hold a conversation without assuming all sorts of things and lumping people into groups based on nothing but their own over-emotional feelings on the subject.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aloysius the Gaul
I cant help but think that hte idea of teaching kids ot be "sagfe with guns" at an early age parallels other things we teach kids about - car/road safety, alcohol, sex......only we tend to wait a bit longer before introducing them to actually using those don't we?

I mean we teach kids road safety - but not how to drive. And we teach kids about biology - my kids knew the P and V words when they were about 6...and had pretty much forgotten them by the time they weer 8!!
We also certainly teach responsible use of alcohol - or some do/try to - but I dont' think we teach kids about that until they are old enough to be abel to reason for themselves. We also teach fire safety.

IMO "gun safety" for children should be about not playing or fooling around with guns rather than "how to use them safely".

I couldnt agree with this post more. Well said

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

but if kids cant buy guns until they are adults how is it marketing them to kids trying to sell them guns as children when they cant own them until they are of legal age that would be advertising to adult teenagers not children,only guns i see specifically marketed to kids is either air rifles (bbguns) or the cricket which now seems to have stopped doing such things,can you post examples of adds you think are targeted to children that are from this time period(ie not from the 50's-70's ish era) only ones i can think of off the top of my head are shooting sports programs that in some cases can lead to children going to the Olympics as target shooters

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 09:23 PM
link   

all i was saying is that the anti gun crowds advertisements seem to be much more geared or at least using children as the main focus compared to pro gun people why the thread on how the nra is up to shady buisness and not equaly call out the anti gunners point in your op?

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 09:40 PM
link   

but if kids cant buy guns until they are adults how is it marketing them to kids trying to sell them guns as children when they cant own them until they are of legal age that would be advertising to adult teenagers not children,only guns i see specifically marketed to kids is either air rifles (bbguns) or the cricket which now seems to have stopped doing such things,can you post examples of adds you think are targeted to children that are from this time period(ie not from the 50's-70's ish era) only ones i can think of off the top of my head are shooting sports programs that in some cases can lead to children going to the Olympics as target shooters
You are still confusing advertising with marketing. Are they putting ads out there saying "hey kids, guns are awesome"? No, they are not. Marketing to a group means to continue to focus on the psyche of that group, so as to put the idea in their head for long term gains. Marketing has very little to do with 'Buy this product" and everything to do with psychology.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by RalagaNarHallas

all i was saying is that the anti gun crowds advertisements seem to be much more geared or at least using children as the main focus compared to pro gun people why the thread on how the nra is up to shady buisness and not equaly call out the anti gunners point in your op?
I made the thread about this particular topic. Not about that one. So thats why I didnt talk about the politicizing of children by the gov't. I would have thought that was clear.

the act of pointing out one thing does not in any way indicate that someone agrees with something else. Seems to be that many posters on this board, these days, dont understand that.

Basically, what you are saying, is that you dont like the OP because it was about one topic and not another.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Its funny, I see a lot of "you disagree with something the NRA does? you MUST be anti-gun, scared, etc...". Its a little bothersome, actually.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 02:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by captaintyinknots

Originally posted by TokiTheDestroyer
So let me get this straight, the NRA wants to teach kids the proper way to keep and use a gun and you think it's a bad idea?

Why?

I never said anything of the sort, and thats hardly what this is about. This is about creating another generation of brand-loyal gun consumers. Look again. Its all sponsored by crimson trace and other manufacturers.

On top of that, I find it to be HIGHLY irresponsible to put handguns in children this young's hands. I find it even more irresponsible to market these things to kids.

And, third, no, I dont think it is a good thing to continue to perpetuate the current culture on guns-that is, that they are cool, that they are hip, that they are anything but a tool that is all about life or death.

The LOUD pro-gun crowd is just on wrong on the subject as the anti-gun crowd. Both are extreme positions.
edit on 6-5-2013 by captaintyinknots because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-5-2013 by captaintyinknots because: (no reason given)

This isn't about teaching kids that guns are cool or hip.

That is just completely ignorant!

They are teaching kids the proper use and safety of firearms.

I learn to shoot a gun from my dad at the age of 8, did I ever shoot anyone? No!

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 03:38 AM
link   
Wow, the op is so brainwashed.. I go to sleep every night and guess what? None of my guns magically grew legs and decide on their own to do something bad. I'm sick of this mentality that guns are only for killing. They are a great hobby, I go to a shooting range and shoot at paper, steel and clay..

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 06:56 AM
link   
Just a little over a century ago, this argument/debate of "the gun is evil, it kills people" DID NOT EXIST! Why? Because in order to ensure food on the table, safety at the family farm, proper disposal of hardcore criminals....all depended on THE GUN.

Sure, a lot of people now, might say "Just go to walmart and buy your food". That's okay if you are a hardened city slicker. But hello, reality chiming in, there are still millions of people who live in very rural areas and still require a gun for all of the reasons people did in the 1800's.

Half the reason we have all this bickering over guns, is because city dwellers refuse to understand that there IS more to the world than the concrete jungle outside their 40 story apartment building. The other half of the reason, is, interest groups nipping at the heels of cowardly and dastardly Government officials. And the desire of the Government to control a people.

When the American Tyrannical beings finally orders us to surrender our arms...I will NOT comply.
edit on 5/7/2013 by MadDogtheHunter because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 07:16 AM
link   
Seems like a certain segment of the population is using their children to make a political point. Bravo!
I wonder how people would feel if these parents were sticking cigarettes in the mouths of their 4-year-olds to show that they have the freedom to do so...

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 07:23 AM
link   
"Teaching kids to properly use a tool for their safety"

Remember how properly kids ride their bicycles? and not do wheelies or try to "jump" with the back wheel?

The Point is, they are kids, they are easily influenced, they will make a game out of it or use it some alternate way and do not think of the consequences and better yet, easily angered for simple reason.

Instead of "i'm telling my mom" it will be, "boom!" to the other kids face.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join