It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kids and guns at the NRA

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Apologies if this has been posted, I did a search but using the term 'NRA' yields a ridiculous amount of results, and I didnt see this one in the mess.

Let me start by saying, I am very pro-2nd amendment. I am in no way anti-gun. But to me, this is just WAY over the top, and a fine example of how the NRA is making the situation worse, not better.
news.yahoo.com...

(visit the link for the whole slideshow)
Anyone else starting to get the feeling that the NRA is working to discredit themselves?

+4 more 
posted on May, 6 2013 @ 05:39 PM
link   
So let me get this straight, the NRA wants to teach kids the proper way to keep and use a gun and you think it's a bad idea?

Why?

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by TokiTheDestroyer
So let me get this straight, the NRA wants to teach kids the proper way to keep and use a gun and you think it's a bad idea?

Why?

I never said anything of the sort, and thats hardly what this is about. This is about creating another generation of brand-loyal gun consumers. Look again. Its all sponsored by crimson trace and other manufacturers.

On top of that, I find it to be HIGHLY irresponsible to put handguns in children this young's hands. I find it even more irresponsible to market these things to kids.

And, third, no, I dont think it is a good thing to continue to perpetuate the current culture on guns-that is, that they are cool, that they are hip, that they are anything but a tool that is all about life or death.

The LOUD pro-gun crowd is just on wrong on the subject as the anti-gun crowd. Both are extreme positions.
edit on 6-5-2013 by captaintyinknots because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by captaintyinknots
Thats hardly what this is about. This is about creating another generation of brand-loyal gun consumers. Look again. Its all sponsored by crimson trace and other manufacturers.

Lay off the koolaid.

On top of that, I find it to be HIGHLY irresponsible to put handguns in children this young's hands.

Yes, teaching children the proper way to handle and care for a gun at a young age is a terrible idea, whatever was I thinking [/scarc]

And, third, no, I dont think it is a good thing to continue to perpetuate the current culture on guns-that is, that they are cool, that they are hip, that they are anything but a tool that is all about life or death.

And if more people learned about guns and gun control this myth would be totally dispelled

The LOUD pro-gun crowd is just on wrong on the subject as the anti-gun crowd. Both are extreme positions.

If you care to take another stab at it, be my guest.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

From what I understand, shooting was a very normal part of a child's upbringing in America.

Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts embraced this culture, it was the norm for schools to have shooting and archery clubs. Rifles, especially .22s were available at any hobby shop.

It was not "evil". It was normal.

There was nothing wrong with it then and theres nothing wrong with it now...

edit on 6-5-2013 by gladtobehere because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by TokiTheDestroyer

Lay off the koolaid.

Yes, teaching children the proper way to handle and care for a gun at a young age is a terrible idea, whatever was I thinking [/scarc]
Funny you ignore the fact that I said 'handgun'
Is an NRA gunshow the proper place to learn gun safety?

And if more people learned about guns and gun control this myth would be totally dispelled
Turn on your tv. How many channels do you have to flip through before you see a gun? How many pink guns do you see when you go to your local shop?
Myth...RIIIIIGHT....

If you care to take another stab at it, be my guest.
Another stab at what, exactly?

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by gladtobehere

From what I understand, shooting was a very normal part of a child's upbringing in America.
When those children were responsible to hunt for food and protect the house, yes. And lets be clear, I am not saying children should not be taught about guns. I have never said that, nor will I ever.

Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts embraced this culture, it was the norm for schools to have shooting and archery clubs. Rifles, especially .22s were available at any hobby shop.
Yes, they were.

It was not "evil". It was normal.
I never once used the word 'evil'.

There was nothing wrong with it then and theres nothing wrong with it now...
Again, I am talking about a gun show specifically marketed towards children. Not guns in general.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Placing firearms into the taboo section of life will only increase the curiosity of children; especially if parents own and keep a gun in their home. For me, you have to instill basic principles into children if you are planning on or currently own a firearm.

1: Treat all firearms as loaded
2: Never put your finger on the trigger unless you intend to fire the weapon
3: Never aim at what you are not willing to kill.

Unfortunately, those basic rules are not always taught to young children (even when people retain firearms in the home) and it leads to accidental deaths.

As for the OP, what is wrong with exposing your children to the culture they are obviously knee-deep in? I would rather see these children be there and learning all they can if they have firearms accessible than parents ignoring the safety of their children by thinking they can just "hide" their weapons and put full faith in their "safes" or "trigger-locks". Kids are notoriously creative in breaking even the most secure of situations.

Better to expose them to what exactly entails such a weapons than keep it hidden and taboo.

link   

Lay off the troll-aid.

Sup bro, you mad?

Funny you iggore the fact that I said 'handgun'
Is an NRA gunshow the proper place to learn gun safety?

Am I missing something? Is a handgun not a gun anymore? More to the point, why would it not be a proper place to learn about gun safety? Any place that sells guns should be properly equipped to offer proper training regarding use and care of said firearm.

Turn on your tv. How many channels do you have to flip through before you see a gun? How many pink guns do you see when you go to your local shop?
Myth...RIIIIIGHT....

A woman doesn't have the right to get a gun that matches her dress? Now you're just being sexist

Another stab at what, exactly? .

Attempting to come up with some semblance of a rational argument.
edit on 5/6/13 by TokiTheDestroyer because: (no reason given)

link   
Weird double post...sorry
edit on 6-5-2013 by ownbestenemy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by ownbestenemy

Placing firearms into the taboo section of life will only increase the curiosity of children; especially if parents own and keep a gun in their home. For me, you have to instill basic principles into children if you are planning on or currently own a firearm. 1: Treat all firearms as loaded
2: Never put your finger on the trigger unless you intend to fire the weapon
3: Never aim at what you are not willing to kill.

It doesnt have to be taboo. But it also doesnt have to be the coolest thing in the world.

And you are kind of making my point. YOU instill the basic principals into children. Not the NRA.

As for the OP, what is wrong with exposing your children to the culture they are obviously knee-deep in? I would rather see these children be there and learning all they can if they have firearms accessible than parents ignoring the safety of their children by thinking they can just "hide" their weapons and put full faith in their "safes" or "trigger-locks". Kids are notoriously creative in breaking even the most secure of situations.

Lets stop and think about it for a second though. Do you want Bayer to be the one to teach your child about medicine? Do you want Monsanto teaching them about healthy food?

The whole point of this thread is that the NRA should not be marketing to children.

Better to expose them to what exactly entails such a weapons than keep it hidden and taboo.
Sure, as a parent. I'm not sure why anyone would want the NRA to be the one to do it, though.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Sup bro, you mad?
No, 'bro', just tired of all the childish ad homs that get flung on this site

Am I missing something? Is a handgun not a gun anymore? More to the point, why would it not be a proper place to learn about gun safety? Any place that sells guns should be properly equipped to offer proper training regarding use and care of said firearm.
Thats fine, but i said 'handgun', not guns in general as you implied.

Like my previous response to the other poster, do you want monsanto teaching your kids about healthy food? Or Bayer teaching them about medicine?

A woman doesn't have the right to get a gun that matches her dress? Now you're just being sexist
naw, you're being obtuse.

And with that, I am done with you. Come back when you can converse like an adult, k?

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 06:05 PM
link   

The NRA is made up of people through membership; unlike Bayer et al. I understand what you are getting at but that comparison is ridiculous and tenuous.

If we continue with your reasoning, why do we have kids go into organized sports? Boyscouts? Girlscouts? Any type of club? I mean, they are teaching them something right?!

ETA: Minus the first posted pic, all those kids have obviously been trained and around firearms. None of them have their fingers on the trigger; indicating they are treating that weapon as charged and capable of firing. The trainer weapon in the first is the only pic that shows a young person that hasn't received any instruction....that bothers me more than kids being at the NRA convention.

edit on 6-5-2013 by ownbestenemy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 06:09 PM
link   

The NRA is made up of people through membership; unlike Bayer et al. I understand what you are getting at but that comparison is ridiculous and tenuous.
The amount of money that the NRA receives from gun manufacturers disagrees. A great article on the subject:
www.businessinsider.com...

They are nothing more than the political arm of gun manufacturers.

If we continue with your reasoning, why do we have kids go into organized sports? Boyscouts? Girlscouts? Any type of club? I mean, they are teaching them something right?!
Read the article.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 06:10 PM
link   
I feel like my point is being missed a bit here, so let me clear something up: I am pro-gun. I am anti-gun culture.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Sup bro, you mad?
No, 'bro', just tired of all the childish ad homs that get flung on this site

Thats fine, but i said 'handgun', not guns in general as you implied.

Like my previous response to the other poster, do you want monsanto teaching your kids about healthy food? Or Bayer teaching them about medicine?

naw, you're being obtuse.

And with that, I am done with you. Come back when you can converse like an adult, k?

So clearly you have some unreasonable emotional attachment to the subject so I'm going to be blunt on this one.
First, the hand gun thing. Does it really matter if it's a hand gun or a rifle? It's a gun, it goes 'boom' and fires a bullet.

For the record I'm sorry for telling you to lay of the koolaid since it obviously struck a chord with you but you really are reading far, far too much into this and yes, I would much prefer Colt to teach my child about guns versus, lets say, someone who uses the fact that I said 'gun' instead of 'handgun' in an attempt at a rational argument while talking about guns. Did you not see the little girl with the rifle? You wanna tell me that's a handgun?

I'm kinda stumped on the pink guns. Why do you have a problem with pink guns?

You can be done with me all you want but the simple fact of the matter is I trounced you the first time around and had a little fun with the second post.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 06:15 PM
link   

So they get money....what are the core principles of the NRA and what members hold it to? I am not defending here as I am not a member, but given it is a private organization, they are not some corporate company pushing a product but rather the responsible usage of firearms and what the Second Amendment means.

Maybe at the top the NRA has some questionable ties, but they are still beholden to membership. I am not sure what you are getting at here.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 06:18 PM
link   

So clearly you have some unreasonable emotional attachment to the subject so I'm going to be blunt on this one.

I have no emotional attachment to the subject at all, which is the point. The pro- and anti- crowds are reacting with emotion. But by all means, be blunt.

First, the hand gun thing. Does it really matter if it's a hand gun or a rifle? It's a gun, it goes 'boom' and fires a bullet.
Theres a huge difference. That you dont know that shows me your knowledge of firearms is limited.

For the record I'm sorry for telling you to lay of the koolaid since it obviously struck a chord with you but you really are reading far, far too much into this
I appreciate that, but no, I am not. Why is ANYTHING marketed towards kids? Because if you hook a 12 year old, you have a customer for 50 years. If you hook a 30 year old, youve only got them for 20. Basic marketing strategy.

this and yes, I would much prefer Colt to teach my child about guns versus, lets say, someone who uses the fact that I said 'gun' instead of 'handgun' in an attempt at a rational argument while talking about guns. Did you not see the little girl with the rifle? You wanna tell me that's a handgun?

Thats because I was making a statement about handguns. Not about all guns. One cant have a rational discussion with a person who is changing the context of what was said.

I'm kinda stumped on the pink guns. Why do you have a problem with pink guns?
Its not just 'pink' guns. It is the overall attempt to make guns trendy.

You can be done with me all you want but the simple fact of the matter is I trounced you the first time around and had a little fun with the second post.

I'm glad you feel that way
Youve completely missed the point, but I'm happy for you that you are proud of your 'trouncing'

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 06:20 PM
link   

So they get money....what are the core principles of the NRA and what members hold it to?

To break it down to a single member issue is to ignore the political pull of the group as a whole.

I am not defending here as I am not a member, but given it is a private organization, they are not some corporate company pushing a product but rather the responsible usage of firearms and what the Second Amendment means.
They are a lobbyist group. They have a vested interest in firearm sales.

Maybe at the top the NRA has some questionable ties, but they are still beholden to membership. I am not sure what you are getting at here.
Just what I said n the OP. I feel the NRA is doing more harm than good to the second amendment. I feel they are acting irresponsibly, and painting all gun owners (myself included) in a very bad light.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Thats because I was making a statement about handguns. Not about all guns. One cant have a rational discussion with a person who is changing the context of what was said.

Welp, you clearly have no idea what you're even talking about.

Good Day.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join