It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Casey Anthony judge: There was enough to convict

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 01:16 AM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

The charge was first degree murder. That doesn't instantly mean death or even life in prison. Separate stage and separate hearing. I do agree that there is a disconnect between the State and the People though. The People, for the time being, still hold onto the sanctity of "burden of proof" and that the proof meets the charge.

You are quite right though, a lessor charge and I would bet my house that she would have been found guilty. Remember, the colonist were out for blood when the "Boston Massacre" happened yet one our own and quite staunchest protectors of a new nation, defended them in the name of the law.
edit on 10-5-2013 by ownbestenemy because: grammar fixes....

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 01:29 AM
link   
reply to post by ownbestenemy

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

First degree murder requires premeditation, which the state failed to prove.
Remember that NOW we have her internet search records, and that might have changed how the verdict went, but at the time, the state failed to prove that this was anything more than an accident. There was a lot of belief that she was drugging her daughter so she could party, and never meant for her to die. There was also speculation that there might have been another type of accident (such as a drowning), and that the family helped her cover it up. All these factors made it impossible for a jury to indict first degree, but the state wanted to showboat and lost the whole thing by overcharging.

The jury fully well knew that if they found her guilty of first degree that the state planned to seek the death penalty, it was stated for weeks in advance on the news.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 01:39 AM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

Just read over your post. It is what others and I have been stating. Circumstantial and hearsay. "Believed", "thought of", "assumed", etc are words to a defense lawyer's ears. Even the internet searches are tenuous. Any given week, if I happened to be caught up in a charge, I am sure they will find some search that will fit the crime; I search and research a lot (for here and elsewhere).

ETA:
I do not doubt nor even begin to contemplate the mind of the jury in regards to the crime and the sentencing involved. I agree though that they probably held in the their minds the gravity of the verdict against the proposed crime. Sometimes our Justice system works.
edit on 10-5-2013 by ownbestenemy because: (no reason given)

new topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join