It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

World's first plastic gun, made with 3D printer, successfully fired in the United States

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

Spoken like a person who has never faced the business end of a zip gun in prison...

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by PhoenixOD

Originally posted by SpaDe_

reply to post by macman

Violent crime is not the issue here..its guns. Death by guns and the prevention of.

So if you remove guns from the issue, and violent crimes and homicides remain the same, then what is the point of removing guns to begin with? It accomplishes nothing if nothing is changed for the better, other than to make a small group of people that dislike firearms happy.

Well in Australia it hasn't achieved nothing. Its completely stopped the regular mass killings by guns. Also violent crime is not the second most killer of young people like gun related injury is the US.

Violent crime although still terrible is not as bad as being shot and killed.

edit on 6-5-2013 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

The majority of youth deaths here in the US are drug and gang related. If both of those could be removed from the equation the amount of youth deaths by firearms would drop dramatically.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by SpaDe_

The majority of youth deaths here in the US are drug and gang related. If both of those could be removed from the equation the amount of youth deaths by firearms would drop dramatically.

I don't doubt that's true.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by GMan420
3D printers can still help mankind. Banning something that has many many good uses just because it can be used in a bad way is a stupid stupid thing to do.

If 3D printers are banned because of this, that's the fault of knee-jerk reactionaries scared of their own shadow, not the fault of a certain set of plans on the internet.

Cannabis/Hemp; it's illegal because it's used in a 'bad' way...but the real reason is because it has too many uses and would cause too many industries too much money (textile, big pharma, oil etc). I can see the parallel here, 3D printers might cause the same thing.. or enough for the Corporations to lobby against them, anyways.
edit on 6-5-2013 by jessejamesxx because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Odd that for all those people saying that 3d printers need to be banned because of this none are saying drill presses, CNC machines and and metal lathes should be restricted because those things together will let you build a MUCH more durable and accurate firearm than the Liberator will ever hope to be. By that same thought process why are people not demanding that hammers, tongs, anvils and forges be banned in the wake of things like the stabbing at the Texas college? No matter what the antis say this is not the end of the world, its just one more case of technology advancing in new and sometimes unpredictable ways.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Good.

First amendment - Freedom of the press and all that.
Second also -Right to print and bear arms.

I think if everyone has guns the Government will start to back off acting like an invading army real fast.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 09:57 PM
link   
theipstone.com...
arstechnica.com...
venturebeat.com...

These articles address what I believe to be the real reason behind the hype about 3D printers being used to produce guns: Associating them with gun production is a gateway to regulating their use for everything else, because they have the potential to allow you to "pirate" nearly anything. Imagine being able to download the spec for a car part and print one out instead of purchasing it from the manufacturer and you can imagine why this is causing nervousness in some industries.

Regarding the plausibility of using 3D printers in this way, and the argument that various things are impossible due to the limited capabilities and high cost of currently available 3D printers, the Radio Shack Tandy 1000 computer cost about $1000 in 1986. It had a 7mhz CPU. If you told the guy at Radio Shack in 1986 that you wanted a quad core 4ghz processor he may have said something close to "That may be technologically possible in your lifetime, but it will be so far out of reach for the average person it will be unrealistic to think that more than a handful of people would even be able to afford them." If you mentioned that you also needed to store 40GB of data on a chip 1/4 the size of a postage stamp he would have burst out in laughter. Both items are commercially available right now and affordably priced for the average person.

Clarke's first law of prediction: When a distinguished but elderly scientist states that something is possible, he is almost certainly right. When he states that something is impossible, he is very probably wrong.

If you consider that along with the idea of accelerating change it looks likely that 3D printers will become less expensive even as they become more capable. I have no idea how quickly this will happen, but I am sure that it will happen. This poses a threat to any industry that manufactures any simple object or machine for profit, and that is why the media will promote the idea that 3D printers are a potential threat. They are doing this already by associating them with guns. If you don't believe me now you will when the gun lobbies are suddenly making an exception for printed guns and supporting gun control laws targeting them.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 01:01 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

What is the gun barrel made of ? Plastic ? Surely not ...

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 01:10 AM
link   
reply to post by RobbieK

because Royal Mail would have knicked it

Theft in Royal Mail is few and far between. Thieves are nearly always caught and the IB go to great lengths to catch them... This perception that people have about RM is greatly exaggerated and you think RM is bad now? Wait until they privatise it. USO? Lol, say goodbye to that.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 01:15 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Awesome Story, B!

I work in Printing, so seeing things like this gives me hope that printing can survive.

Hopefully though, I wont be "printing" any of these anytime soon.....

S&F

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 03:16 AM
link   
Too many americans have a gun fetish and this proves it.
I was waiting for the printers to become more affordable because i thought it would be very useful around the house for building "extra parts" to stuff, and now thanks to some gun addicted nut jobs, they will either be banned or so expensive i will probably not be able to get one.
the extent that some americans will overcompensate with guns for their own insecurity is just amazing :/

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 04:22 AM
link   

For those who say gun control wont work maybe they should look at Australia. They used to have regular mass shootings until they introduced strict gun control 17 years ago..since then there hasnt been a single mass shooting...

Im not that anti-gun but the hypothetical arguments the pro gun people are coming out with are just incorrect based on the real life Australian evidence.

Woopty doo..

That is just crap. How about you provide links to all these mass shootings please. There are more guns in Australia now than there were before the bans. Semi-autos were banned along with a few other things.

I have a firearms license, I can go and buy a 50 cal bolt action and put a scope and laser on it.

Now links for all these mass shootings please.

P

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 05:31 AM
link   
And so what? As a kid I made my own real guns from steel pipe and without the need for a multi thousand dollar printer. And in 12 gauge. this plastic gun is a choir boy compared to a pipe gun.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 05:34 AM
link   
reply to post by pheonix358

Move to the US you can get that with drivers license.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 05:41 AM
link   
reply to post by IShotMyLastMuse

You need to stop blaming everything on my people.Your over bearing government is YOUR fault for not having any guns

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 08:00 AM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

So, the goal then is not to eliminate violent crime. The goal is just to disarm the people.

Hey, I give you some credit. At least you are more honest then most in the Anti-Gun Rights crowd.

Still makes you full of crap, but I guess honest crap????

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 08:04 AM
link   

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 09:36 AM
link   
reply to post by macman

Please keep your abusive statements to yourself as it does not strengthen your position it just shows a lack of character and is often the last resort of someone with a week argument.

The 'goal' as you put is is not to do anything as i am not anti-gun, I'm addressing some of the issues concerning gun control.

The 'question' is can gun control work in reducing deaths by guns and mass shootings? Based on the evidence presented in the video i posted it does seem its possible as there has been no mass shootings in Australia since 1996 after the implementation of stricter gun control laws. Not all the guns have been taken away either.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Please keep your abusive statements to yourself as it does not strengthen your position it just shows a lack of character and is often the last resort of someone with a week argument.

Nah, I think I shall continue in my statements.

The 'goal' as you put is is not to do anything as i am not anti-gun, I'm addressing some of the issues concerning gun control.

Your statements show otherwise.

The 'question' is can gun control work in reducing deaths by guns and mass shootings? Based on the evidence presented in the video i posted it does seem its possible as there has been no mass shootings in Australia since 1996 after the implementation of stricter gun control laws. Not all the guns have been taken away either.

Oh, so mass shootings are the only thing that you ware wanting to do away with.
Again, honest, but full of crap.

I guess you have no issue with mass killings as a whole, or bombings or anything else except what happens with firearms.

Anti-Gun rights still stands.

And with the implementation of stricter gun laws, what has happened to the violent crime rate since then?

edit on 7-5-2013 by macman because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 10:28 AM
link   
A mature person can explore the issues of gun control without having to take a strong stance on any one side. Its a shame you are not such a person.

I guess you have no issue with mass killings as a whole, or bombings or anything else except what happens with firearms.

Yet again you try to pull the issue away from guns because you have no real argument in regards to that subject. Trying to reduce the deaths guns does not mean someone is ok with deaths by any other means. Those are just your words.

And with the implementation of stricter gun laws, what has happened to the violent crime rate since then?

The stricter gun laws were not put in place to reduce violent crime , they were put in place to stop regular mass killing by firearms which they have clearly done.

But percentages of homicides along with almost all violent crimes are down that's even with the obvious increase of population since that time.

edit on 7-5-2013 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join