It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NRA convention speaker advises parents to store guns in kids' rooms

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Err...putting kids and guns in the same room without some sort of oversight is a recipe for disaster...having guns in a kids room would mean that they need to be secured against accidental usage which removes their usage of being there for the oh-crap moment where you need a weapon to stop an intruder so you'd be better just keeping a 9mm on your waist than having to spent 30 seconds plus getting a weapon into usable condition

and personally i've never seen anything a kid won't be able to bypass as they're very observant so any combination codes/places you hide keys will be revealed in a short amount of time

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

Your title is a bit misleading/inaccurate.

In every instance, he says in a safe...

The idea being that instead of taking your child from the room to another location, that an adult have access to firearm there.

It would be different if he was advocating storing unsecured guns around children, but hes not,...

edit on 6-5-2013 by gladtobehere because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by gladtobehere
reply to post by seabag

The idea being that instead of taking your child from the room to another location, that a firearm be readily available there.

It would be different if he was advocating storing unsecured guns around children, but hes not,...

He is presenting it how it is already being presented.

This is why saying dumb things can be taken totally out of context.
EDIT: reading the thread would have cleared up his own opinions. The Video was posted with those same SHOCKING WORDS for the Anti-Gunners to quote and take apart sentence by sentence without context.
edit on 6-5-2013 by DarKPenguiN because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by gladtobehere

The idea being that instead of taking your child from the room to another location, that an adult have access to firearm there.

I quoted the title of the video as it was presented to illustrate the way this propaganda is being used to attack the NRA. The headline is meant to grab your attention, which it did, and Think Progress hopes that the reader won’t read any further.

This is how the game is played. Look at the post above yours; it worked!

**edit to add** DarKPenguiN, you beat me to it. Well said!

edit on 6-5-2013 by seabag because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

Aside from the insane stupidity of it from a PR perspective...unless of course they are provoking a fight....it is a dumb practical idea as well.

Kids are never as stupid as we think they are. You place a locked safe in thier room and they are going to spend time trying to figure out how to get into it. If that means spying on you to figure out where the key is kept or the combo...they will. Given them staring at a gun safe day and night and unlimited time and curiousity...some of them will get into it. Why invite tragedy?

Also the assumption that most intruders would go after the children is really faulty. Most intruders want money or precious items. If you get into a tangle with an armed intruder, then you would have to, by design, lead them to the children to get your gun. Does that seem smart?

Several kinds of dumb here....
edit on 6-5-2013 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Indigo5

Kids are never as stupid as we think they are. You place a locked safe in thier room and they are going to spend time trying to figure out how to get into it. If that means spying on you to figure out where the key is kept or the combo...they will. Given them staring at a gun safe day and night and unlimited time and curiousity...some of them will get into it. Why invite tragedy?

Yes, after giving it some thought, this was the big sticking point for me. Did you catch the vid I posted?

Also the assumption that most intruders would go after the children is really faulty. Most intruders want money or precious items. If you get into a tangle with an armed intruder, then you would have to, by design, lead them to the children to get your gun. Does that seem smart?

Another good point!

The only reason it seemed slightly appealing at first glance was the fact that getting to your kids is first priority for most parents, so in that regard it makes a little sense. You’re right though; this may lead the bad guy directly to your kids and your gun.

As I stated earlier, I prefer mine within reach at night so this isn't something I'd consider.

It's sad the NRA chose this time to give advice like that. Their people should have more damned PR sense then that!

I’m going to use that!

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

Yes...that was a great video you posted. Kids are born safe-crackers. In the seventies, when everyone had those old dial-pad locks for thier bikes, 3 digit combo's...I remember me and buddies spending hours with our ears pressed to the shiny backs of those locks slowly turning the dial, listening and feeling for the odd click on the tumblers. We got to the point where given enough time we could open most of them...Kid's have lot's of time on thier hands and LOTS of curiosity.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by seabag

As I stated earlier, I prefer mine within reach at night so this isn't something I'd consider.

Yep. You need to be able to hear the intruder break in...door, window, whatever...alarm ideal.

Then if time allows advance to a position beyond the kids room. If all the family is on a second floor, then past the kids door but before the stairwell is a good position.

Ideally shake the wife awake and tell her to stay behind you, take a phone to dial 9-11, go to the kids room and confirm they are all there and stay there in the kids room...just in case one of the kids is out and about the house she can let you know.

You are in a good spot between the stairs and family. Anything comes up those stairs, you have it covered. Cops on the way.

That is my plan anyways.

Most intruders look for unoccupied homes and stick to first floor valuables anyways...but if they come up the stairs they will go to the Master Bedroom for jewelry etc. Kids scream and toys aren't what they are after.

Between family hunkered down in childrens room and a single route in...Stairwell or hallway...best position IMO. And wait, aim and watch...no cowboying it, running down the stairs etc. You want to have the drop. You are also waiting for the "all here" shout from the wife...to be double sure one of your kids hasn't snuck out after curfew and is returning through a window. My sister almost got shot by my dad one night.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Indigo5

Unfortunately, since my wife works nights we sleep in our basement. If intruders make it to me, they are screwed. But i doubt they get that far. My 15 year old has his 12 ga upstairs.

While I get what Seabag is saying.....i have armed my son. He is worthy of that trust. Only problem, he sleeps like the dead. I have my disabled mom living with me. She has her 4-10 sawed off that she has had since dad died. So she is our first line of defense (once the dogs go crazy barking to alert us).

But hell, who am I kidding....we usually don't lock either door. LOL

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

Well...that's definetly one approach. Anyone lucky enough to get past the dogs and they have 3 generations of furry Texans opening up on them.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

If intruders make it to me, they are screwed. But i doubt they get that far. My 15 year old has his 12 ga upstairs.

While I get what Seabag is saying.....i have armed my son. He is worthy of that trust.

I’m sure it will make some eyes roll by saying this but….I can’t WAIT for the day I can do that for my son! It will be a great day for both of us…kind of like that first beer!

I’ve got 2 kids who are 6 and 3, so that’s not going to happen for a LONG time, if ever. It depends how comfortable they make me by demonstrating responsibility and trustworthiness. My fingers are crossed!!

Roll your eyes, libs! Remember - to each his/her own!!

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Not many parents would think that even storing alcohol in a kids' room is a good idea.

But a gun? Hey? Why not? That's protected by the 2nd Amendment !

Idiots.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Indigo5
reply to post by seabag

Aside from the insane stupidity of it from a PR perspective...unless of course they are provoking a fight....it is a dumb practical idea as well.

Exactly. I don't think the average intruder is after kids.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Indigo5

Yep. You need to be able to hear the intruder break in...door, window, whatever...alarm ideal.

Then if time allows advance to a position beyond the kids room. If all the family is on a second floor, then past the kids door but before the stairwell is a good position. Continued…….

Dude, some people who served in Iraq suffer from PTSD. I suffer from hyper-awareness and an acute sense of my surroundings. Trust me when I say that I’ve drilled every possible scenario imaginable for every event one could fathom.

From one keyboard warrior to another
I can tell you this with absolute certainty – any poor bastard that attempts to do my family harm will encounter someone they never wanted to meet. They’d better catch me at my lowest/weakest point and be totally committed to losing their life in pursuit of whatever it is they’re after in my home. Better men have tried to take my life and all have failed. I sleep just fine at night!

Having said all of that…you provided some sound advice. You sound like a buddy of mine who has a company that provides tactical training. He’s a hard arse Force Recon Marine. He can game-plan as good as anyone!

Thanks for the info!

edit on 6-5-2013 by seabag because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by babybunnies

Not many parents would think that even storing alcohol in a kids' room is a good idea.

But a gun? Hey? Why not? That's protected by the 2nd Amendment !

Idiots.

Uhmmmmm…..the gun would be inside a gun safe in case you missed it.

You’ve gotta stop getting hooked by the headline!

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by babybunnies

Exactly. I don't think the average intruder is after kids.

You guys missed the point. I don’t think someone would be after my kids; they’d likely be there for my possessions. MY PRIORITY is the safety of my kids, so a parent’s first instinct is to gather the flock. Someone willing to violate my home is surely willing to cause my children harm – that’s my assumption. Possessions can be replaced.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 07:16 PM
link   
I reckon that anti-gun lobbyists stand to gain quite a bit financially with their gun control agenda.

I also reckon that the leaders of the NRA stand to gain quite a bit financially defending against, "Gun grabbing liberals".

Follow the money, it's all a sham to make the the top people on both sides richer. The rhetoric is just getting sillier and sillier, and stupid people on both sides are eating it up like an all-you-can-eat soft serve machine.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by seabag

I quoted the title of the video as it was presented to illustrate the way this propaganda is being used to attack the NRA. The headline is meant to grab your attention, which it did, and Think Progress hopes that the reader won’t read any further.

Getting a taste of their own medicine, eh?

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

Well it's a dumb suggestion, but he does say in a safe.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

When he was 12 he wanted a side arm for our hog hunts. I was pushing for the Judge, for its effectiveness against rattlers. He was not sold (the "soft fire" issue with them is pretty concerning, obviously). He settled on a Taurus 9mm. Not the best gun in the world, but it is effective.

He earned his own $500. I keep it in my room (on the bedside table, right behind the computer I am typing this on, actually). I took him to the store and bought it (and myself a pocket carry .40 S&W). That was a pretty proud day for me.

He used it on the last hunt. He fires a 30.06 (Savage Arms left handed model, purchased about a month before the handgun). A pass through shot on a hog injured one behind it. The kill shot was administered by my son with his sidearm.

Our weapons are intended to be used on food. Our rule is "if you kill it, you eat it" (excepting diseased animals). LOL, we obviously don't want to have to eat a home intruder.

He really is a BAMF. The stories I could tell about the kid....

edit on 6-5-2013 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join