It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

9/11 museum admission fee plan angers some victims' families

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 10:23 AM
link   
"New York (CNN) -- Some families of 9/11 victims are outraged over the National September 11 Memorial Museum's decision to charge admission for visitors.
Sally Regenhard, assistant chairwoman of the group 9/11 Parents and Families of Firefighters and WTC Victims, called the fee a "slap in the face" on Sunday.
"Patriotic people from all corners of the country go to teach their children something and show respect, and now they will be faced with this fee? It is outrageous," she said.
"This feeds the idea of New York City being money-hungry. It is taking advantage of tourists," Regenhard said. "Making people pay to grieve is going to prevent people from paying their respects and learn about the victims."
9/11 Memorial communications manager Anthony Guido said that an exact price has not yet been set, but it will range from $20 to $25. Family members of 9/11 victims are exempt from all memorial-museum fees and charges, Guido said. The museum will open in 2014."

www.cnn.com...

-Okay, I am not even sure where to begin with this one... Its not a "Conspiracy" but is in such bad taste and reeks of greed that I think it falls under general stupidity.

I can FULLY UNDERSTAND a small upkeep fee of MAYBE a few Dollars (even then, I would think a suggested donation would be far better) but charging nearly as much as tickets to Cedar point? To put this in perspective cedar Point tickets cost $44.00 at the gate with no discount (most people pay approx $35.00 buying in advance from credit Unions and other such places) - Cedar point (according to the Discover Channel) employs between 4-5,000 people at peak season. Has 364 acres, , free LIVE venues, is voted the "best Amusement Park in the WORLD", boasts 17 Roller Coasters (many record holders) and far too much to even try to get into here but anyone whos been to the Point knows its amazing.

Now, I am not trying to compare a memorial to a "theme park" but $20- $25.00 to see the memorial? How many people will they be employing?Why the extreme cost?

Even at UofM in Ann Arbor we have a plethora of Museums and they all are FREE. These are not piddly little Museums either- They are State funded and so anyone can go in and enjoy the Museum for Free and pay a suggested donation if they so desire.

911 effected us all.

This is truly sickening to me as it seems predatory (knowing all the tours and field trips which will inevitably be coming) and sounds to me like the City/State/Nation is trying to profit from this Tragedy.

-Look, some things the Government was never meant to "make money on..." If we are to have memorials such as this they should be funded and free (or very low cost)- Or lets not even have them.

join