It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If you ride a bike or drive a car you should watch this

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 06:24 AM
link   
Hi guys

As a biker I've been wiped out a few times in my life by a car pulling out in front of me.

The favoured expression is always "Sorry mate I didn't see you". Well my reply is usually "well maybe you should have looked harder". I hold no malice towards the driver it's just one of those things, a risk you take whenever you climb aboard and go for a ride.

Devon and Cornwall police released this video in response to this overly used phrase.

Whilst I wouldn't dream of telling you how to ride or drive.
Please take note of the message

That bike you are about to pull out on is a loving mothers child, possibly a devoted spouses love, but most importantly, a loving child's parent

Ride for freedom and stay safe my friends

Cody

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 06:46 AM
link   
reply to post by cody599

I think that video says it all.

I want a Tank!

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 06:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by cody599
That bike you are about to pull out on is a loving mothers child, possibly a devoted spouses love, but most importantly, a loving child's parent

That loving mother should care more about her child not to get killed by driving an unnecessarily dangerous vehicle "because it's fun!".

edit on 6-5-2013 by Nevertheless because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 07:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Nevertheless

With all due respect the vehicle isn't dangerous, and fun is a very important part of life.

My mum hates me riding, but she knows it's a major part of life, one of the things that help me feel free and alive.

My loving mother only asks that I call her when I arrive safely home if she knows I'm out on The Beast.

To be honest she has tried to stop me riding and I love her very much, all I have to do is remind her that it was dad's bike that brought them together as star crossed lovers all those years ago. The smile on her face when I remind her is a constant ray of sunshine to my soul.

Cody

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 07:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Theflyingweldsman
reply to post by cody599

I think that video says it all.

I want a Tank!

Wanna go halves ?

I'm loving having you participate recently Theflyingweldsman thanks
I'll add to my friends list if that's OK ?

Cody

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 07:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by cody599

With all due respect the vehicle isn't dangerous

Then why this thread about cars often are about to kill you?

, and fun is a very important part of life.

Yes, the most important part. In my opinion.
Less fun for the child who loses his/her mother, though.
Also, not fun for the driver who runs over a biker.
Roads are for transportation.

My mum hates me riding, but she knows it's a major part of life, one of the things that help me feel free and alive.

Yes, she hates it because you are apparently a major part of her life.

My loving mother only asks that I call her when I arrive safely home if she knows I'm out on The Beast.

While you are having fun riding the bike, she is worrying whether or not you are still alive. Fun for you. Not for her.
Of course she will be smiling when she sees that you have enjoyed your day, as you are a big part of her life.
But she'll be worrying while you're having fun.

To be honest she has tried to stop me riding and I love her very much, all I have to do is remind her that it was dad's bike that brought them together as star crossed lovers all those years ago. The smile on her face when I remind her is a constant ray of sunshine to my soul.

Yes, exactly as described above.

Hopefully she'll only have to spend her life "only" worrying about you while you're having fun, and not receive that phone-call to end the worrying.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 07:21 AM
link   
While everyone on the road should be aware of their surroundings, it is the responsibility of the person on the bike to make sure they are visible.

My car is very loud add in my blasting stereo and if you are in my blind spot I am not going to know you're there.
Most riders are good about staying out of blind spots, but many don't seem to get it.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 07:21 AM
link   
Double post
edit on 6-5-2013 by watchitburn because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 07:45 AM
link   

Then why this thread about cars often are about to kill you?

It isn't, it's about reminding people to look twice.

Yes, the most important part. In my opinion. Less fun for the child who loses his/her mother, though.
Also, not fun for the driver who runs over a biker.

Hence look twice

Yes, she hates it because you are apparently a major part of her life.

For which I am eternally grateful

While you are having fun riding the bike, she is worrying whether or not you are still alive. Fun for you. Not for her.

I'm sorry but as much as love my family, this is my life and I must live it for me.

Hopefully she'll only have to spend her life "only" worrying about you while you're having fun, and not receive that phone-call to end the worrying.

She got THAT phone call twice, once was for my dad shortly after they were married, he still doesn't remember getting married to my mum owing to the smashed skull he received.

Once was for me, laying there smashed up I opened my eyes to see mums face and knew I was in for a long stay in the hospital; turned out to be 3 1/2 months. She's a tough old bird though and would rather her kids live life for themselves. As a family we've dealt with much more harrowing things usually involving horses.

There is a saying amongst the biker community
Let those that ride decide.

Thank you for your concern.

But as my mum knows and as I, as father have learned, it may be worrying, but you've got to let your kids live their life and follow their dreams.

Yeah sure it hurts sometimes, and yes at times it enrages me, but I will always be there for them.
I will worry and I will cry. I will be proud that they were allowed to live for themselves and make mistakes.

But my worry isn't their problem.
Their joy of life however far outweighs any worry I have.

Cody

edit on 6/5/13 by cody599 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 07:55 AM
link   
reply to post by watchitburn

As a seasoned rider I know where to ride to be seen

All I'm saying is there are less experienced guys out there, I'm not preaching, just asking if you are about to pull out take the time to be responsible enough to look again.

And I disagree, if you are driving a loud car with the stereo pumping (I drive a GTO, with a wicked stereo) you still have to be aware of the various people around you. You having loud car and pumping base should not be my problem. It's your responsibility to look before you pull out. It's mine to be aware that you may not.

Cody

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 08:04 AM
link   
I used to ride a motorcycle as my sole means of transport for about 5 years. The best advice I can give is to assume that everyone on the road has one goal....to kill you....and you'll be fine.

Oh, and if it rains, pull into a restaurant and get a bite to eat, and wait it out, because rain and motorcycles suck as a combo.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 08:15 AM
link   
Yep, I've been cleaned up once while ridin', ironically by a lady driving a commuter van full of disabled people lol..

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 08:26 AM
link   
I had a mate wiped out by an ambulance.
That was the cause of much mirth after we realised he was OK

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 08:28 AM
link   

I used to ride a motorcycle as my sole means of transport for about 5 years. The best advice I can give is to assume that everyone on the road has one goal....to kill you....and you'll be fine.
reply to post by Gazrok

Sage advice
Youngen's please take note

Cody

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 10:26 AM
link   
I always watch out for bikers. Theres plenty of them round here in the country, opening up there fireblades on the country roads. Even so its not always easy to see them when they come out of nowhere. I agree the best way is that everyone should drive with caution

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by TheDoctor46

Thanks Doc

I'll be sure to ride with care up your way if I ever get there, and look forward to buying you pint at the same time.

Cody

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by cody599

My door would always be open to you my friend

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by TheDoctor46

And I'll always keep a cold one the fridge for you Doc

Friendship is a precious thing.

Cody

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by cody599

Sure. I could share a tank.

I would only need it on weekends to get past the saturday market crowds and the sunday drivers.

On a serious note, all drivers have to watch out for all possible dangers.

Bikes can't brake as well as cars and have less protection. It's simple.

I rode an east german simson for years in Germany.

That experience made me a better car-driver.

I am honoured to be your friend. I have added you as well.

Tfw.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Theflyingweldsman

Bikes can't brake as well as cars and have less protection.

Which is EXACTLY why bikers shouldn't ride the ass of cars and whip in and out between them, yet I see this EVERY day during my commute. Usually, this is teens or twenty-somethings, but guess what, you are NOT immortal.

new topics

top topics

join