It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boy tries to rape mom, kills her, over Call of Duty ban.

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by WhiteAlice

Originally posted by Thundersmurf
Kids are becoming little bullies these days because parents aren't 'allowed' to punish them physically, and aren't really sure how to raise them effectively without that physical incentive to behave. Kids get away with anything. You see it all the time - a kid screaming and throwing a tantrum at the supermarket and the parents just shaking their head in disbelief at what they've allowed to happen.

When I was a kid I knew that if I did something bad it would make my parents upset, so I didn't do it. I was able to manage my emotions and think about others. Kids today have been allowed to become selfish and unruly by parents who don't entirely know what they're doing.

I don't have kids yet, but they certainly won't be crying themselves to sleep because Daddy took CoD away.
edit on 6-5-2013 by Thundersmurf because: (no reason given)

Most aren't. I think it's just a matter of statistics. If you have 1% of a given population being at risk for serious mental illness with the potential for violence, then that would mean that, as the population grows, the number of such individuals being born will also grow correspondingly. No amount of beating or lack of beating made this kid the way that he was as he was clearly mentally unstable from childhood as per his own father's reports. The two girls of my youngest's experience were both suspected as being sexually abused and the two boys that were talking about stabbing have had longstanding problems with the school and my youngest is of the opinion that they are abused.

Now, I know you're going to say that I can't possibly imagine "my little angels" doing anything wrong but I do not and have not laid a finger on either of my children--ever. I never had to. Groundings? Yep and where it usually hurt the most, too. Also gave them rewards for good behavior--sometimes big, sometimes small. They are actually very upstanding individuals in their prospective schools. Youngest is bringing home little awards from school because of exemplary behavior in regards to being kind to other students (she stands up for kids being bullied). My eldest, while in high school, was known for breaking up fights (gentle giant) and scolding the participants for behaving like animals or children. I am quite proud of my kids and how they are isn't my being delusional. Trust me, I can list out their faults (like my youngest and her inability to keep her bedroom clean).

Beating your kids isn't parenting. It's a short cut/easy road to parenting where all it really teaches your children to fear you. One thing that schools have said about my kids in conferences is how much my kids respect me. They respect me without beatings. Then again, neither of my kids have significant mental issues with violence like this boy did so no great surprise that they haven't slaughtered me yet.

I never said anything about beating; that's such a strong word. There's absolutely nothing wrong with physical discipline, but it can't be the only form of discipline in a child's life.

You seem to be on the right track and I'm glad your kids are growing up nicely. There just seems to be a severe lack of parenting skills revolving around these types of stories. I mean it was reported that the mother and son fought often. Why did she even allow that? Why did she even take part? It just saddens me that these stories are never reported as "son was allowed to develop in to a monster" instead of "child with anger issues kills mom" as if the anger issues are perfectly normal.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by GermanShep

Well, Battlefield 3 is much better anyway.

No disrespect to the victim here either, this is a terrible story. I had to say, and I am just saying bro.
~$heopleNation
edit on 6-5-2013 by SheopleNation because: TypO

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 09:09 PM
link   
In 1953 the US Senate held hearings about the danger of comic books to the youth.

United States Subcommittee on Juvenile Delinquency

Transcript

I suggest anyone who is believes the hype about the danger of video games give it a quick read through. Try swapping out the phrase "comic books" with "heavy metal and D&D" and it will sound like it happened in the 80's. Replace "comic books" with "video games" and it will sound like it happened last week. Particularly pay attention to the "experts" who present their "scientific research" that proves the link between comic books and a variety of juvenile crime. The whole thing mirrors the video game discussion perfectly.

So.....were they correct? Does anyone here think comic books were dangerous? After all, an expert in the field of child psychology said it was true, and supported his assertion with research. Who are we to question that? How many of you who were kids in the 1950's were damaged by comic books? What about your parents and grandparents? Were they able to overcome the psychological damage done to them by these vile publications, which targeted the youth of their era?

or....

Maybe the experts are chasing publicity and selling books.

See also: Thought-terminating cliché
edit on 6-5-2013 by Slugworth because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 09:16 PM
link   
I find the people who 'blame the game' are usually the older generation who didnt have these games while growing up.

As a kid I used to get in a rage over a game lol and I still do, its no big deal. I shout and maybe throw a couple of things every now and then and then its all forgotten about. But im naturally a hot tempered person with all that Italian blood in me so its kinda normal.

Anyway even after the most frustrating of gaming sessions, 5 minutes after turning it off ive moved onto something else. Its not a big deal at all, 99.9% of people will be the same.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Slugworth

I 100% agree SlugworthY! And no, That Everlasting Gobstopper that you payed me off for has absolutely nothing to do with my position here on this subject! This kid here was obviously mentally ill.

Let it be known just for the record, that I don't blame the parents in this case like the Oompa Loompas do in many others cases, this was a mental health issue! Usually I agree with the Loompas though.

However, I believe it's more to do with too much home made donuts, drugs or some un-diagnosed mental illness that most likely can be traced back through the subjects bloodline. Could be wrong about that last part as well though.

Doopity doo!!!
~$heopleNation

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 09:49 PM
link   
You know the part I don't get about this. Generally apples don't far fall from the tree, but in this case looking at how beautiful she was...

...well I generally expect beautiful people to have beautiful spirits and that God makes sure that their offspring aren't altogether different spiritually from their parents.

This is totally out of whack.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 10:28 PM
link   
They didn`t do a good job of raising that kid obviously, I guess the silver lining to this story is that at least he kept his crimes in the family and didn`t harm some innocent person who had nothing to do with how he was raised.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by amraks

Originally posted by Nevertheless

I would not blame the video game here. Lets blame the parents for buying him the R rated game.

Yep. It's clearly the mother's own fault she got [almost] raped and killed by her son.

What else was they buying him or letting him see to have this mentality.

They mention the actual name of the game for a reason. if it was something like Frogger they wouldn't of bothered.
edit on 6-5-2013 by amraks because: (no reason given)

You are right. They wouldn't HAVE bothered at all. Parents are to blame for neglecting their kids and throwing them in front of video games and then wondering why their own children want nothing to do with them later in life. Video games do not make people kill other people....trust me, I played quite a bit of the Sims when it came out for PS2 and I never walled anyone up in a house just to watch them die.

People snap. Old people, young people. It's horrible but the kid was clearly looking for something to blame right away...as do most people.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Idonthaveabeard

These games are a good way to get rid of stress. Otherwise games with Unicorns farting rainbows into teddy bear smiles would be #1.

PS- still don't think you have a beard.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by superman2012

I dont... Thats the point

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 10:41 PM
link   
There are just so many different factors and dynamics that go into shaping souls. We each know it. All of us have had heartbreak, and if your young and have yet to experience that gut wrenching pain - it comes. Eventually. It stalks us all - the pain of loss, separation, and resentment.

Regardless, my heart goes out to the family members and friends of this woman and the grief and pain they must be going through. I hope her son gets help, I'm sure that would be his mother's wish.

Thoughts and blessings,
Cirque

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by phishyblankwaters
reply to post by amraks

If videos games affected children behavior we'd all be running around dark neon lighted rooms munching little pills listening to repetitive techno music.

Don't knock it 'till you've tried it, hehe.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Idonthaveabeard

Originally posted by superman2012

I dont... Thats the point

Crap, I meant, don't think you don't have a beard.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 12:00 AM
link   
reply to post by superman2012

Ok then lets clear this up, my face is free from any beards

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Has anyone in this thread has even asked or thought about if this story is actually true or not?

You can use the names in the case to fully confirm it through other media outlets. What is REALLY surprising to me, is that the media seems to have no problem in fully depicting the suspect even though a minor. When did that happen?

If videos games affected children behavior we'd all be running around dark neon lighted rooms munching little pills listening to repetitive techno music.

You've just described a night out at "The Castle" a goth-type nightclub in Ybor City not too far from me...
Not my normal scene, but it is an interesting experience to be sure.
edit on 7-5-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 11:32 AM
link   

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Thundersmurf

Absolutely agree. I just left out the physical discipline because I found it unnecessary. My son is also autistic and was not prone to violence at all. He was gentle to a fault (still is) even to objects because he doesn't like how it feels to put force into something. Crooks' father described his son having very serious violent episodes all throughout childhood. Put my son and Crooks on a line and they would be opposite ends of the spectrum--one too gentle, one too violent. His parents were probably floundering with how to help their son and they really should've sought help if they didn't. What kind of child you end up having is really the luck of the draw. Sometimes you'll have a gentle giant and sometimes you'll have a monster.

Overall, I agree--parenting skills can be largely lacking for a lot of people. Most of the parents that I know personally do a good job though. Like I said, the troubled kids that I've run into through my children's peers have either a. been abused or b. have serious mental problems. One of my neighbors had a stepson who was ADHD, Turrette's and a sociopath. He coldly and calmly killed a little of kittens as a toddler. They had to put cameras all over the house to help keep an eye on him. He gets plenty of help (we're talking the state, parents, schools and doctors) but, as much as it hurts to say this because I love children so, when I look into this boy's eyes, I see immense danger. It plagued the hell out of me. I was his sole babysitter and just through that experience, I can attest that with some kids, they are just born dangerous. I made sure to never indicate my unease to a great deal (kid idolized me). Sad to say, I felt comforted when he moved though I really, really worry about what he's going to become someday.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Gretchen, as loving but marred by intense arguments

www.destructoid.com...

This will stir up trouble in any NORMAL boy. The boy respects his mother's authority, or the mother refers him to his father, his father's authority and he settles the problem. Fathers have an authority over a disobedient young man that will prevent arguments from taking place between a mother and a son. Dangerous and damaging arguments that destroy and hurt an ego that can cause a devastating backlash. Violent backlash. The father should have demanded any time that she had problems with him to refer the boy to him and his discipline.

If she was overly demanding, and resorted to childish power struggles to resolve disobedience as a normal course of action, and it doesn't sound as if the video game ban was the only problem here then this rape could be some kind of attempt to regain power, not just sexual perversion thing.

His way of saying "I'm in charge"

edit on 7-5-2013 by Miracula because: (no reason given)

edit on 7-5-2013 by Miracula because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 04:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Miracula

this rape could be some kind of attempt to regain power, not just sexual perversion thing. His way of saying "I'm in charge"

That still sounds awfully perverted to me.

I probably could have beat my mom up since I was a bigger-than-average 10 year old, but the thought never crossed my mind for more than a second no matter how mad I may have been at her. I was no angel and I was certainly capable of violence, but I could never have done anything as bad as strike my mom even in retaliation when she was beating my butt, slapping my face, or yanking my ear or hair (right or wrong, she was old-school about disciplining us kids). It was unthinkable, and it had nothing to do with fearing the disciplinary action that would result. It was just too wrong.

Grounded from using the Nintendo? I probably would have gone to my room and laughed about that, then climbed out the window to go raise hell in the neighborhood after dark. Lets go smoke stolen cigs, maybe vandalize something! You know, normal bad-kid stuff.

A kid who shoots his mom and molests her corpse is experiencing something waaaaaaay outside the bounds of normal teenage rage or rebellion.

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 04:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thurisaz
reply to post by Lysergic

terrible.

maybe the violent games affected him ?

dreadful.

This is what I am talking about you will blame video games.

But these video games have ratings on them, his parents bought them games for him. violet video games never affected him his parents affected him by letting his little mind play the game rated above his age limit.

You're correct: his parents should never have bought him that video game which warped his mind.

This story is beyond sickening. I don't even know what to say, besides this world is coming to an end quickly!

www.youtube.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join