It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Question on Free Time

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 01:56 AM
link   
All right. I remember when people used to work 9-5, they had weekends off, they got together to hang out with their friends, they spent time with their families and worked on projects...

I value things like hanging out in person, free time to work on projects, making money in order to improve my life (doing things such as theoretically purchasing a house and land, and other goods, instead of renting or spending money on transient things).

Basically, work to live and hopefully have a job that I like as well.

This is where I have begun to notice something I didn't expect - a lot of younger people are out there working a lot of hours with multiple jobs and no time off - they aren't building ANYTHING -

Less people are building relationships.
Less people are saving money to purchase land or a house, but are renting.
There is a trend to move towards renting media, as well.

I went on a date with a girl who asked me to meet her at Wal Mart, for example. Early 20's. She was listening to music (this is the extent of her independent experience) and mentioned that she wished she could just stack boxes all day.

Thanks, ATS. I think I see what is going on. But in the meantime, watch out for this.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 02:20 AM
link   
reply to post by darkbake

I see this very often lately as well.

People are working several jobs while continuing college. But to what end?
They are trying to put away money or get more educated to make more money so they can squirrel it away, all the while their life is passing them by. Ask them what their goal is, and they don't know.

They seem to be just hammering away, one day 10 or 20 years from now they will stop and look around to find themselves old and alone. Maybe with some cash to sustain themselves once their bodies are broken and they can't work anymore. If the cash is still worth anything at that point.

And I ask myself, what's the point? What's the end game here?

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 02:58 AM
link   
reply to post by watchitburn

I have no idea what the end game is. For those people? There might not be an endgame, just a life they don't know could be any different.

All I can think of is that we are in the process of switching to a nationalist society instead of an individualist / family based / free society. There seems to be fairly little independent thought, which is quite scary.
edit on 6-5-2013 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 03:30 AM
link   
I'm currently studying at uni + I work a job in the holidays + do the same job from home when I'm at uni (if that makes sense) + I'm running my own business...

At the moment I'm saving to travel + I have a few bob stashed away for a down payment on a house that I can rent out to others to make more money
. Granted at the moment I'm renting, but my Mum owns the flat I live in so all the money is staying in the family. I want the opportunity to be able to do that if I have kids.

Not everyone is just grinding away without a goal, but I think the majority are. A few of my friends are studying degrees at the moment and are then going on to do other completely non-related degrees. I would say that the majority of them are working without a goal... It's sad when you think about it

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 03:37 AM
link   
Ahh the kids are working 15 jobs a night so that when they hit 50 they can sit back, grizzled and haggard, look around them and sneer "I worked my fingers to the bone when I was your age, you kids go get a job dag nabbit."

seriously... work to live you say? I see much more live to work. To get old and still never reaching anywhere near the comfort they anticipated.

Not like that rich snob who was born into money, you know, that guy... I hate that guy...

"Oh I'd work even if I was a billionaire. toffy nose snobsnob" -- you tosser!!!!!!!

Alas, we don't yet have to pay for air. We're still free!

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 03:51 AM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

People will now have to work till their 70 before they can enjoy their free time as shrivelled up impotent pensioners.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 04:43 AM
link   
This is what happens when people don't want to pay taxes.
Has nothing to do with a non-existent NWO.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 04:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by darkbake
This is where I have begun to notice something I didn't expect - a lot of younger people are out there working a lot of hours with multiple jobs and no time off - they aren't building ANYTHING -

Less people are building relationships.
Less people are saving money to purchase land or a house, but are renting.
There is a trend to move towards renting media, as well.

I disagree about some of this.

People have more relationships and connections than ever. Now if those relationships are meaningful or not is a different thing, but it's very easy for people to find like minded others to do niche hobbies with these days. That isn't unusual though.

Purchasing a house etc ... well there seems to be a big leap towards education and organizations requesting educated (at least one degree) workers and this means having work jobs to fund that education. People who get degrees often don't end up in the industry they got the degree for - and that's nothing new.

It just leads to a period in people's lives where they aren't sure what they want to be or where they want to go before they see it. A lot of people find careers and jobs that they stick with by accident, and education has a trade off that makes it difficult to save but (in general) nets a higher salary later.

That's just life.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 04:24 AM
link   
It's the economy, people are becoming slaves to the lack of hours, lack of wages, maximum taxes. I'd like to live in Europe just to experience their month long vacations for all, sounds like a great thing. I know people who don't work because they can't find work but also because they don't want to feel like a rat, what's the point of running around the wheel if you are guaranteed to get nothing from it? Seems like a dumb point of view but they do have a good point. Hard work doesn't earn what it used to. Free time is a valuable thing, it is needed to accomplish great things.

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by darkbake

we are all slaves to the matrix

new topics

top topics

join