It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas teen points to heavens, gets banned from state championships

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 12:35 AM
link   

"Officials at Columbus determined that Hayes had violated the excessive celebration rules,"
“He put his hand by his ear and pointed to the heavens,” Hayes’ father, KC Hayes, told KHOU. “It was a reaction. You’re brought up your whole life that God gives you good things, you’re blessed.”

I thought the use of Christianity would still be high in Texas of all places. Quite an outrage imo.

Yahoo Sports
edit on 6-5-2013 by cass1dy09 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 12:49 AM
link   
reply to post by cass1dy09

Just curious...

Anyone notice the white man making a gesture, out of the 3 other people...

So, why does does it make a difference?

And if you say it's the rules..

You must be blind.

Gimme a break.

I never saw his gesture, even from the video.

Though, I do not agree.

Really.. Like football players ... Never do that... So, block them from super bowl....
edit on 6-5-2013 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 12:53 AM
link   
You can’t point a finger or shake a stick in any direction lately without seeing solid proof of the attack and attempt at destruction of Christianity. It’s everywhere. And I’m sure some (who’ve no idea what the real message of Christianity is all about) or just enjoy ridding on whatever the most popular bandwagon is - relish the demise of Christianity.

Does this surprise me - or as a Christian worry me. Not at all. The world’s been trying to kill off Christianity since it began. It will not happen. If anything it will only strengthen the belief of believers.

I would caution those who’re looking forward to the demise of Christianity though. Think about what will replace it...

I gotta laugh. I wonder how all those people ridding the anti-Christian bandwagon are going to like being forced to their knees to pray multiple times a day - and how they’re going to like practicing the fasting associated with Ramadan - because that religion will not give them a choice.

peace

edit on 6-5-2013 by silo13 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 01:12 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

I hope it is replaced with common sense and self accountability...instead of beliefe in the tooth fairy, and lack of personal accountability.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 01:44 AM
link   
Outrageous... but really we could see this coming miles away, couldn't we?

Well, i am curious about one thing, i hope they go back and interview him someday and ask if he regrets his little gesture or what?

Personally i hope he never regrets it. Then he's a bigger champ then any "state" could make him.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 02:38 AM
link   

I don't know much about track rules but rules are rules. If it is seriously against the rules in track to make gestures after winning, then there's not much to say.

There is one way to prove if it is persecution or not. If you can find videos of people making similar (but not religious) gestures and getting kicked off then it's not persecution. If you can find videos of them making religious gesture but not being kicked, then this was probably just a case of poor judgement (or persecution by one solitary bigot).

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 02:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by silo13
I would caution those who’re looking forward to the demise of Christianity though. Think about what will replace it...

I don't know any Christians personally who wouldn't welcome the destruction of contemporary Christianity. They all claim to "hate religion but love Christ" yet they will defend the organized institute as if it really does represent them.

The best thing that could happen to Christianity is for it to be destroyed, leaving behind only Christians. No dogma. No Jesus Inc. Just Jesus and his followers, doing their thing, spreading love and charity. The fact that sounds so foreign to our ears should be a red flag for you.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 03:24 AM
link   
I made a thread on this subject concerning an ohio football team...

ATS thread/ ohio football team penalized for pointing to heaven

It seems in my thread most ATS'ers did not agree w/ me that this should not have happened to these guys because and I quote:

" Student Prayer and Religious Garb

Students are allowed to pray silently or aloud either individually or within groups as long as their actions are not disruptive or inciting. Students may also read their Bibles during times when they are not scheduled to participate in any other school activities. Students are permitted to wear clothing and accessories that express their religious beliefs.

Read more: Laws Regarding Religion in Public Schools | eHow.com www.ehow.com...

As I said above, I believe the penalty should be over-turned based on the *Students Rights concerning Religion and Expression.* As long as their actions are not disruptive or inciting. I do NOT in anyway see this as inciting anyone or how anyone could take pointing towards the sky as offensive as the Ohio High School Athletic Association assistant commissioner Henry Zaborniak had said. "

I hope they fight this decision and win!! It's law whether you agree w / it or not. I still don't understand how they can get away w/ violating peoples rights. S&F

What is the common theme here so far? Ohio? The bible belt? lol
edit on 6-5-2013 by tracehd1 because: Add

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 04:53 AM
link   

Good. Religion has no place in the modern world. Glad to see America finally starting to cotton on.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Unless he was middle fingering, pointing up doesnt disrupt anything. By the way many refer to ET when they point up!

What this amounts to is massive control of another person and that is such a massive crime against all souls in the universe, its demonic!!!! It is the thing that makes me livid with my kids fighting or my father, for example, in our family "problems" for it involves certain people in the family who are Controllers. I never accept any form of Slavers/Control ever, and I won't let my children, even the one that is quite controlling, to ever be under a system be it school or anything, that is controlling.

Its beyond outrageous its demonic to try to put others under your thumb or make them dance on your strings.

edit on 6-5-2013 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 08:55 AM
link   
A few points come to mind...

1) Would they have been disqualified if he had done a fist pump? I don't know the answer to that, but based on the rule that was read, I suspect so.

2) On the surface, the rule as it was applied here does seem a bit excessive, but as we've seen in other school sports (eg college football), small infractions can have dire punishments.

3) Any god that lets so many others die tragically and horrifically I'm quite sure had no hand in their team winning.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 09:02 AM
link   
some of you persons replying need to stop allowing yourself to be a victim....refuse to be a victim.....it's so "in your face obvious" , that the attack is for one thing......to silence one aspect, here.....can you see that?

REFUSE TO BE A VICTIM....

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 09:16 AM
link   
i didn't know one could point at heaven.

thought it was 'space'

kid should have said look, i'm pointing at mars,

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Seems everyone is assuming that this kid was disqualified because of a religious gesture. But it was because of excessive celebration or something... but if that's the rules...

People who are saying this is because of his religion, are playing the "religion" card, just as surely as people play the race card... That makes it more sensational.

The UIL is saying the gesture was unsportsmanlike, and that there is no indication Hayes meant it in a religious way. The statement reads as follows:
The meet official indicated the athlete crossed the finish line and gestured upward with his arm and finger and behaved disrespectfully toward meet officials, in their opinion. In the judgment of the official, this was a violation of NFHS track & field rule 4-6-1. The regional meet referee concurred with this decision and the student was subsequently disqualified. There is no indication that the decision was made because of any religious expression. This was a judgment call, as are many decisions of meet officials in all activities.

Source

I wasn't there, I didn't see it, but the father's account sounds pretty "innocent". I suspect there's more to this story. Like how did he "behave disrespectfully toward the meet officials"? We don't have the whole story here.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by oniraug
i didn't know one could point at heaven.

thought it was 'space'

kid should have said look, i'm pointing at mars,

No Nibiru!!!!!!

It's still a stupid rule.

Besides there is no video evidence of it. So, he's innocent until proven guilty.

edit on 6-5-2013 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 10:10 AM
link   
I participated and coached in T&F for the past 25 years. Yes, there is no celebration permitted after crossing the finish line. I have seen many teams disqualified for doing so. Is it fair, IMO yes. To make it fair you would have to regulate the amount of celebration. I have seen teams demean others by their victory festivity. I myself put my hands up after winning a race and a meeting was held by coaches to determine if I should have been disqualified.

As for the athlete pointing to god, maybe, but I have a strong feeling he was actually referencing their team being number 1, just my opinion. I have seen the number 1 reference regularly.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

People who are saying this is because of his religion, are playing the "religion" card,

The father was quoted saying: ‘It was a reaction. You’re brought up your whole life that God gives you good things, you’re blessed.’

So it’s the boy’s father ‘playing the race card’ - or - are you looking for excuses?

peace

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by DPrice

Good. Religion has no place in the modern world. Glad to see America finally starting to cotton on.

Exactly its time we end all this nonsense with people being able to have ideas and believe what they want.....

its complete rubbish..........

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by airbulas

Originally posted by airbulas
As for the athlete pointing to god, maybe, but I have a strong feeling he was actually referencing their team being number 1, just my opinion. I have seen the number 1 reference regularly.

This sounds much more likely to me. And they're using religion to make themselves victims of Christian persecution. I know it's just speculation because none of us were there, but I have never heard of anyone pointing to heaven after a race to "thank god"... Very suspicious.

Yeah, pointing to heaven, that's it!

reply to post by silo13

Originally posted by silo13
So it’s the boy’s father ‘playing the race card’...

No, he's playing the religion card.
edit on 5/6/2013 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 02:38 PM
link   
People want religious freedom... but still they forget that all their religions were forced on their ancestors that had no choice but to abide or be killed... and so after generations and generations they started embracing them.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join