It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Once again, Star Trek predicts future technology!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 11:50 PM
link   
I've been watching Google Glass with piqued interest since it was announced. Having seen the videos and reading the blogs something nagged at me.

I've seen this before...

Already, the Kindle and iPad reminded me of the PADD (Personal Access Display Device) from Star Trek: The Next Generation:

So when I saw Google Glass:

I remembered a technology from Star Trek: Deep Space Nine years before. This is the Virtual Display Device:

Well, what does this piece of Star Trek technology do?

The virtual display device gave the wearer the ability to view the space around the ship by simply turning his or her head (or as Elim Garak said, "It's like having a viewscreen inside your brain").

It's basically a HU display that almost mimics Google Glass's intended purpose:

Google Glasses provide an experience known as augmented reality, where images are superimposed over what the user sees in real life.

Link

It sounds to me like this technology could eventually allow one to watch movies, or even view a live feed. Perhaps something like this?

I've already seen people compare these to "Geordi's" visor -- but that really isn't accurate. Google Glass won't allow blind people to see. Glass won't plug into the optic nerves a a wearer's brain. It will, however, superimpose images similar to the technology seen in Deep Space Nine.

This is a conspiracy site, so perhaps writers going back to Gene Roddenberry himself had some kind of inside knowledge? Or is this simply a case of "life imitating art"?

I'm sure if we dig around, we can find a ton of other technologies from Star Trek that are in use today. Off the top of my head are automatic opening doors and hyposprays.

I'd like to hear what you guys think!

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 12:05 AM
link   
Wonder what kind of tech the latest star trek has in it now.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 12:06 AM
link   
You interrupted my replicated meal just to post that?

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 12:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by MadMax7
You interrupted my replicated meal just to post that?

didn't you just interrupt your own meal by responding?

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 12:08 AM
link   
yes well I'm not impressed.

Show me the enterprise and the holodeck.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 12:26 AM
link   
reply to post by otie1

I'd settle for a transporter. I hate sitting in traffic.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 03:25 AM
link   
I don't know, seems to me a logical idea in a science fiction story, that we now have the technology to create - more or less - and it would have come about regardless of star trek.

We think. We think big things. We think beyond our limits.

And when we invent. We don't do it by having invented the last thing ever, we make incremental improvements.. not many novel ideas these days, but a lot of innovative ways to do things we already do.

I think if we're going to use star trek as a gauge then we need to rest it on TOG. anything else is just taking an idea already thought of and adding to it.

Except the holodeck. but then, microsoft are ruining that on their very own. kinect. gah.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 03:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by MystikMushroom
I've seen this before...

Of course you have, movies has used the ideas af augmented reality since the 80'ies (terminator, robocop)

Google wasn't even the first to make them, they just made the push towards mainstream use.
Check vuzix they have made them for several years

www.vuzix.com...

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 03:46 AM
link   
When Fiction becomes Fact and Fact becomes Fiction. Food for thought

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 03:52 AM
link   
reply to post by MystikMushroom

MM

I think you make an interesting point here in the sense that our imaginations are allowed to be creative for the purposes of Sci-Fi which in turn drives the development of technology.

In all Sci-Fi films you can probably extract a future technology which will one day become reality so for any of those people out there who dislike the Sci-Fi genre or complain about Trekkie conventions et al..........they all need to open their minds....!

Speaking of which - IMHO mind control and visualisation of dreams and thoughts will be the next greatest innovation

Regards
PDUK

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 06:52 AM
link   
They are just practical uses of technology.

We can all think of 1000's of great applications of technology that cant be made right now because science hasn't figured out a way just yet. This doesn't mean we a 'predicting anything'.

One day someone will make that thing you wished we had,and you will think "hey i thought of that first" but you have to remind yourself.."yes , you and 1000's of others"

edit on 6-5-2013 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 06:56 AM
link   
Your PADD and the Kindle et al were long ago thought of by Kubrick and Clarke, and called a NewsPAD.

You see them all over 2001:ASO.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 07:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by VforVendettea
reply to post by otie1

I'd settle for a transporter. I hate sitting in traffic.

I am sure Dr. Pulaski or Barclay would agree.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Certainly not arguing with your OP, but I would substitute the word "inspires" for "predicts". I think today's scientific minds gained inspiration from the science fiction of yesterday, as did the generation before them.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by PurpleDog UK

Speaking of which - IMHO mind control and visualisation of dreams and thoughts will be the next greatest innovation

Regards
PDUK

^^ This!

How many times have you had something awesome in your imagination, but lacked the artistic skill or means to shape it in reality? Being about to visually project what we are seeing in our "minds eye" would be a huge innovation not only to art, but music, engineering and other scientific fields!

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Re packaging existing technology is not 'predicting'.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 02:38 PM
link   

to be fair (strictly as a nerd) the tech hes wearing is dominion and it had sever side effects (migraines which are rare in star trek universe)and was utilized by the bad guys in the show,its closer to the occulus rift for gaming then anything else

the device was needed because dominion ships had no windows chairs or any other"comforts" did not even have a medical bay

to compare it to Google glass(basically internet glasses etc) is not the same but it is funny seeing exactly how many gadgets from star trek have turned into real tech

personaly im holding out for holo decks and replicators (the star trek kind not the star gate ones)

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by RalagaNarHallas

Um...Yes, I know it was Dominion technology. It gave "minor headaches" and I'm pretty sure Bashir figured out a hypo or something to combat it.

It still existed in the Star Trek universe. I think because my thread involves Star Trek people just don't want to bother with it. That's cool. I'm used to getting made fun of for my uniforms and technical manuals

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Here's one, member DaphneApollo wrote this thread about a medical device;
www.abovetopsecret.com...
The first thing I thought about was this;

top topics

join