It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is the strongest emotion?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Love is the strongest as it goes beyond all the body-based emotions of fear, anger, etc. Love is discovered to be the depth of unbounded feeling itself, when one is free of the separative egoic gestures that are based in, and motivated by, fear, anger, sorrow, etc.

Transcend one's selfishness and love is felt to always be the case. Transcend the body-based emotions relative to life and death, what is felt? Love.

As already mentioned by others, this is not conventional love that only lasts as long as the pheromones do. It is love that is non-separative feeling, love of the Divine (God, Consciousness, whatever you wish to name Reality) and recognizing our fundamental non-separate unity with others. Love is unexploitable and eternal because it is inherently transcendent of all conditions and yet not separate from conditions. What is stronger than that?

edit on 6-5-2013 by bb23108 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by bb23108

Transcending the bodily emotions and relation to life and death... I would say nothing is felt - only a calmness.

It wouldn't be love.

A flower or tree is existing in peace. Nature is peaceful, and looking at nature there is a balance.

But animals still eat each other, there is no protection in the wild (only by one's own members but not nature itself). So I would say nature is "peaceful" but without an emotional label I would just call it "balance".

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

They're all strong, it depends which ones you have access to and can control and turn on and off at will. I knew a guy who had his best things to say from a massive anger emotion that he had under total control, and when I had to leave or hang the phone up it was like "OK _____, I've gotta go." "Love ya man" in a totally calm and easy voice. We should be able to switch any of them on at will (reminds me the Goldie Hawn in "First Wives Club" - she plays an actress and one of her friends accuses her of not having emotion. She answers something like "I'm an actor. I have all of them!").

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Aleister

Revenge has been found to be the strongest motivating force in the human condition, you will find people will do unbelievable things they would normally never do normally.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

Originally posted by arpgme
Transcending the bodily emotions and relation to life and death... I would say nothing is felt - only a calmness.

It wouldn't be love.
Is that your experience? Is that your understanding of Jesus' two great commandments of love?

Originally posted by arpgme
A flower or tree is existing in peace. Nature is peaceful, and looking at nature there is a balance.

But animals still eat each other, there is no protection in the wild (only by one's own members but not nature itself). So I would say nature is "peaceful" but without an emotional label I would just call it "balance".

Well, as you are partially pointing out, nature is hardly peaceful. Hundreds of thousands of people have been wiped out with natural events.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 05:04 PM
link   
anger

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by bb23108

Yes, nature had done some violent things, but if it weren't for nature we wouldn't have been born. If it weren't for nature we wouldn't have been nurtured with sunlight, food, and water.

So it has qualities of violence AND non-violence (nurturing) which is why I called it "balance".

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

Yes, the laws of physics help us to understand nature's movements in terms of balance. But that cannot be simply described as peaceful.

And what does this have to do with emotions or feeling? Are you derailing your own thread?

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

Emotions linked to different parts of the body. When you feel an emotion feel where it is coming from in your body. All emotions are basic human energies. None are stronger than any other. Some just manifest stronger and more often in some people..

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 05:32 PM
link   
I must , I must say something too

I think desire is the strongest emotion, and the root of every other emotion. When we desire another person we call it love, when we desire money and possessions we call it greed, when we desire to be satisfied by any means we call it selfishness, when we desire peace of mind we call it spirituality, when we desire security and stability, we fear of the opposite, and so on.
We always desire something, for as long as we breathe. Did you ever notice how we want something so strongly, but when we achieve it we already want something else?
Can you recall when was the last time when you really didn't want nothing at all?
Isn't our mind eternally busy of wanting and searching for ways to get what it wants?

Yep, I think desire is what keep us moving, always trying to catch the horizon. All other emotions come and go, but some form of desire is perpetually running in our minds.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by EllaMarina

You beat me to it, EllaMarina. Jealousy isn't called "the green-eyed monster" for no reason. Envy is also dangerous and though many don't consider it as bad a jealousy, it's still up there on the danger meter in my humble opinion.

That being said, we differ in that I wouldn't wish EITHER of those emotions on anyone, even my worst enemies. In my experience, what goes around comes around...

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Hmmmm..... I would have to say greed. Anything that feeds the ego. To LOVE another is to let go of self wants & needs.

When the ego (physical self) is not fed love, or nurture, it creates the feeling of loss, fear of have nots, jealousy, * etc.

To give up greed & to be selfless (perhaps to destroy the ego?), IMO, is the most powerful emotion to let go of, in order to be able to move forward spiritually.

The OP said it quite nicely!
edit on 6-5-2013 by MoonSage because: More thought.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by WhiteHat

Originally posted by WhiteHat
I must , I must say something too

I think desire is the strongest emotion, and the root of every other emotion. When we desire another person we call it love, when we desire money and possessions we call it greed, when we desire to be satisfied by any means we call it selfishness, when we desire peace of mind we call it spirituality, when we desire security and stability, we fear of the opposite, and so on.
We always desire something, for as long as we breathe. Did you ever notice how we want something so strongly, but when we achieve it we already want something else?
Can you recall when was the last time when you really didn't want nothing at all?
Isn't our mind eternally busy of wanting and searching for ways to get what it wants?

Yep, I think desire is what keep us moving, always trying to catch the horizon. All other emotions come and go, but some form of desire is perpetually running in our minds.

Yes! Another interesting thing is, even all "needs" are connected to wants. We need food because we WANT to survive. We need water because we WANT to survive.

All emotions are connected to will - except apathy - and apathy is like death in a way because if a person had 100% apathy for all things there would be no motivation to do anything (including selfish or survive or have fun).

Even wanting to get rid of desire - and stay rid of desire - is also a desire.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Is frustration an emotion?
If it is, I'd go with that.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Grief.

Anyone who has ever experienced true grief that penetrates every inch of your mind and heart and soul knows firsthand that it will black out every other emotion and all you'll be able to feel is the pain of grief.
edit on 5/6/2013 by jcutler12888 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 10:13 PM
link   
I'm with Carreau, fear encapsulates so much energy. Fear can inhibit connections with love and hate. Fear can create angry actions and fear can detach one from wonder. Fear can insulate people from help, touch, hope and each other. Fear fuels paranoia and wars and unjust leaders. So fear seems to be the most powerful, imo.

However, love is the one thing that people give their lives for gratefully, as in sacrificing oneself to spare another loved one. I realize some give their lives for other emotions, but love seems the strongest by the numbers affected and as a magnitude of motivation. Hmmm, are my glasses rose colored?

Peace

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Itisnowagain
reply to post by vethumanbeing

It is fear of future loss. The idea of death makes one believe that one will lose everything.
The 'everything' is seen as important by the individual. 'Things' are important to the individual.
It is only when one realizes that the 'things' depend on something that will never be lost that the fear of future loss will drop away.
edit on 6-5-2013 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

It is the loss of everything accomplished, material posessions and fear of not being remembered which is why legacy or transfer of wealth etc. seems important. It doesnt mean a thing if these are fear based. You may as well give your monetary holdings to your cat with humorous intent. Things are not material goods, they are ideaforms that you as a progressing soul take with you; adding to your souls progress.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

Fear.

You list quite a few 'emotions' in your OP, but what you might not realise is that most of those are fictional and only exist within our minds. When we are born, we come in to this world with only 2 true biological emotions:

-Fear
-Joy

Both of these emotions have dedicated mechanisms controlling how we feel them and they will always be far stronger than any man-made feeling of guilt or greed.

The only reason I pick fear as being stronger than joy is that we have an in-built mechanism to survive. Whilst joy feels good, it is not vital to our survival. If something came along that threatened your existence then nothing, absolutely nothing else would be on your mind or affecting your decisions.

Very interesting question though OP. Thanks for asking it.

Peace

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 11:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Thundersmurf

You are on to something here.

Most people would say "Hate" and "Love", or "Fear" and "Love", but generally speaking positive emotion would be "joyful" (Love, Pleasure, Satisfaction, Excitement) while negative emotion would be "not joyful" (Hate, Fear, Neediness).

I also agree with you that fear is the strongest impact on us because it affects our decisions for survival and such, but fear is not most effective because it tends to paralyze people. I am speaking literally, as it can physically paralyze them, and I am speaking metaphorically, because if we are always fearful we'll be to scared to take any chances or risks and most things in life are based on taking risks. We'll be to scared to do "this" or "that , to scared to move forward towards the future, and life ruled by fear instead of joy is not a happy or healthy one anyway.

It's a lot to think about.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 06:41 AM
link   
I'm afraid it would have to be fear...........................anyway........

Someone told me of an experiment, a long time ago, that she herself did. Since love, hate and fear are the most common one's stated here, we'll start with those. And since assurance is the opposite of fear, I'll add that to the mix as well.

On any given day make a mental note, or jot it down even, of when you feel fear. It could be a fear of heights, saying the wrong things, being afraid of an animal.......anything to any degree. At the end of the day see how many times you were afraid of something. The next day, do the opposite. See how many times you felt assurance. For example, you ask someone a question of a personal nature because you don't know if you're right about it. And they say, yes, you're right. That's assurance. They just assured you that you're right about your initial feeling. Along those lines, pay attention to how many times you felt that during the course of the day. I'll bet my bottom dollar that 8 people out of 10 feel fear more than assurance.(And no, indifference doesn't count. Or as she used to say, get over yourself and admit that you actually have feelings.)

Now, this may seem like a pretty petty thing to most people but imagine living 10 years of feeling fear more than assurance..........EVERY DAY. You think that amount of negativity over time doesn't affect a person? It does. On any given instance that "fear" might be very small. You're afraid you might step on that nail for example. But the little things really do add up. It's like that old saying "Watch your pennies and the dollars take care of themselves". The same with the positive emotions. I think one reason people might feel that assurance would be stronger than fear is because after, say, a full month of fearing things to varying degree's, finally being assured of something is like a breath of fresh air. It's going to effect you in a positive way to a much larger degree then if you felt that emotion more often. And as well know.......I hope, being positive is a lot more productive.

If you like the initial experiment, keep it going with other emotions, but always offset one with the opposite on the following day. This way you'll begin to see how much positive energy you have versus the negative. This doesn't have to be all deep and serious either. You can have fun with it. I'll let your imagination take over from here.

That poster from Scotland was right BTW, fear is the first emotion we all feel on the day we're born and we're left fighting it every day from then on.

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join