It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is the strongest emotion?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 04:32 AM
link   
reply to post by vethumanbeing

It is fear of future loss. The idea of death makes one believe that one will lose everything.
The 'everything' is seen as important by the individual. 'Things' are important to the individual.
It is only when one realizes that the 'things' depend on something that will never be lost that the fear of future loss will drop away.
edit on 6-5-2013 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 04:48 AM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

I think in context of the topic, and specifically the nature of feelings, is it not a little counter productive to assume that a lonely elderly person fears death? I suspect if anything they may fear the unknown. I'd be inclined to say that yes, someone could absolutely fear death, but to state that all would fear death, is perhaps only one shade of it all? i don't know.

I think assuming to feel love, specifically, that one must either be loved and reciprocate as such, to sufer the loss of love, is perhaps worth exploring in full...

Growing in the wild, my definition of love would be altered, what would constitute love could be the same in almost all forms, but the definition of what i would love, would absolutely be different, but i doubt it would be absent entirely?

Would i now love my animal compadres? would i not love my setting and my way of life? Would i not respond with Hate and fear if that was to be taken from me?

Good topic!

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 06:03 AM
link   
Logically, rationally, unemotionally....

I "am afraid" I would have to say fear is the strongest one, but I "fear" I might be mistaken...

???

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 06:05 AM
link   
Silence

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 06:06 AM
link   

edit on 6-5-2013 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 11:52 AM
link   
love,

Its my love for loved ones that will overcome my fears when trying to protect them.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

Nothing is stronger than love and I feel pity for anyone who has not realised this yet.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Since I believe Love is the only genetic link we have with whom ever created us, then it is the strongest.

The next strongest emotion would be whatever is completely at odds with whom ever created us.
I would suspect Hate but it doesn't get enough credit because it is very short lived in it's full intensity.
Most people here that say fear are probably right because fear is a long lasting persistent state and that
makes it very strong and people have more time to think about it and all of its different manifestations in our daily lives.
So are we defining strongest by duration or intensity? Fear wins duration for sure. Happiness is perceived as a "default" state and only when we are unhappy do we measure time for the most part. Kind of like health.

It is unfortunate that we experience intense Love almost as rarely as intense Hate but hands down they are the strongest emotions....they are the Nukes of emotion.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 01:15 PM
link   
I think that fear is a very powerful emotion that can cause much destruction -

BUT

Our capacity to love and create and our courage to over come fear -

Are powerful emotions to - that can conquer fear.

When but to the wall, I'd say our most powerful emotion is change/the ability to adapt. If that could be an emotion?

Cirque

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Shouldn't Happiness and Sadness , and Fear and Excitement be opposites instead?

Fear can be an extreme emotion just like excitement it feels similar but excitement is more positive.
Happiness and sadness feeling content and feeling non-content. Anger and Tender.

Anger, disgust, fear, happiness, sadness and surprise...all can be strong emotions for any one person at any given time based on the the contributing factors involved and the physical nature exhibited or encountered as an inflicted emotion requiring a response. Anger is the most aggressive emotion and would probably have to be given the distinction of being the strongest emotion in the context of your question.

Perhaps you should read what I said again. Where did I suggest anything about opposites?
edit on 6-5-2013 by soulpowertothendegree because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

Shouldn't Happiness and Sadness , and Fear and Excitement be opposites instead?

Love is the opposite of fear.

Love and fear are the the two pillars that all other emotions stem from.

Love and fear share a balance that allow us as individual conscious beings to experience these feelings in a way that most would interpret as unbalanced.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Senduko
I would say jelousy/envy. Its not so much in your face, but this is where all the " bad " emotions start from. Without a doubt this emotion has a bigger impact then all of the above.

It infects your body slowly.

Actually if you think about it, jealousy/envy stems from fear.

Fear of loss, fear of rejection, fear of being "one-upped", etc... which develops into anger, which develops into jealousy/envy.

Jealousy/envy are secondary emotions.

Fear is one of the primary base emotions that other emotions branch out from.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Bugeisha

This is what I said:

They would still fear death because they don't know what is on the other side

So yes, it could be fear of death, but more specifically fear of the unknown.

Originally posted by Bugeisha
reply to post by arpgme

Growing in the wild, my definition of love would be altered, what would constitute love could be the same in almost all forms, but the definition of what i would love, would absolutely be different, but i doubt it would be absent entirely?

Would i now love my animal compadres? would i not love my setting and my way of life? Would i not respond with Hate and fear if that was to be taken from me?

Good topic!

Thank you for responding in this way. You've helped me to see this in a different light. I guess even if a person was alone all by themselves, they would still have preferences of what they love and hate; but if this is the case, that would mean that love and hate/fear are balanced rather than one being stronger than the other, actually hate and fear would be stronger than love since it has the power to pull a person out of love and make them do destructive things. Sure, love can bond, but that involves trust and even that can be intercepted by fear.

reply to post by applesthateatpeople

Originally posted by applesthateatpeople
reply to post by arpgme

Nothing is stronger than love and I feel pity for anyone who has not realised this yet.

What do you think of this:

Will/Desire is stronger than love because in order to love it takes WILL to do so, so WILL is the engine that keeps all emotions running.

reply to post by soulpowertothendegree

Originally posted by soulpowertothendegree
Perhaps you should read what I said again. Where did I suggest anything about opposites?

I was referring to that picture (the circle with the emotions).

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

In my opinion it all depends on the person. One can handle very well some emotions and cannot handle others. It depends on the life's experiences. Love is not the opposite of fear. Just because they are the two most common it doesn't mean they are opposites. Love is just another form of happiness. When you love someone you are actually happy being with them, thinking of them and you are happy for them being happy. The opposite of happiness is anger, and the opposite of fear is confidence. Loss and hurt are not emotions, are just causes. Loss causes fear, hurt causes anger. Jealousy or envy are just another form of fear.
Any emotion can be the strongest, it just depends what the goal is. Any emotion can fuel the will to achieve something... One doesn't know an emotion until has a certain experience. One has to go thru something to learn the emotion... This experience can happen on it's own or can be induced by the self of by others (family, friends...)
The strongest emotion is the one that takes over someones reason or creates a belief within that persons mind. An experience causes an emotion, and the emotion added to the knowledge/idea of what happened results in the belief.
All emotions can be good or bad: anger can harm or become assertiveness and help achieve/conquer, fear can make you avoid things or it make you save yourself by running for your life, love can bring you happiness or it can blind you and fool you, confidence can make you stand up for what you believe in or it can make you arrogant.
Another interesting question would be "what kind of emotions are others instilling in us willfully or unknowingly, and what their results are?"

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

What is the strongest emotion?

All human emotions have both lows and highs... extremes in both directions. For instance, when it comes to 'love' and 'hate', we tend to assign them single positions but... when we consider our own behaviors when faced with them, we should instantly understand that nothing is absolute.

When it comes to 'hate'... probably one of the most abused words today, especially in politics, we rarely consider that true hate is as rare as true 'love'. Many people live their entire lives searching for true love and die, sadly, never having known it. Hate is no different,... it is a rare breed of emotion that we will likely (and hopefully) never know in its purest form.

So, in my personal opinion (for what it's worth to anyone), there is no single emotion that is greater or lesser than the next. It all depends on the individual's encounters with them and, equally, their reaction once found.

Cheers

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Carreau
Fear.

Without a doubt. Look at what has been done because of that emotion.

Fear does seem to make the world go round.

Fear does seem to motivate people to go to a job and life-style they loath.

It makes people put there money in the bank, make nations bow down to the biggest and baddest too.

Excellent answer for the reality we live in, but if it really comes down to it and people could muster their inner guide love is the strongest emotion in the universe.

We are just not evolved enough to focus on love as a way of life currently.

Peace out,

RT

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by InhaleExhale

Self-centered ness is the opposite of love. Not fear.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by redoubt

Seems like you and I have very similar views on this matter... it's just that we phrased our views a little different.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Love, plain and simple. Real love, not that fake kinda, maybe crap.

Like the love a mom feels for her kids, or the love for a best friend who you've gone through hell and back with. Or the love for a sibling who drives you bonkers but you know that you'll do anything for them because you have a bond that is unbreakable.

Real love is stronger than real hate. Hate dissipates, love does not, it grows. When you hate someone for whatever reason eventually it goes away, you'll realize one day all of sudden that you are over whatever it was that made that hate eat at you for a bit, poof...it's just gone.

But love well I can tell you real love stays and i'm not talking about that crap being fed to you all on the romance channel. Real love comes from when two people form a bond, whether friendship or family, or husband or wife. I have loved a lot of people, and hated too. All those who I have loved remain in my heart, filling it with joy at fond memories and raw emotions. When it's real love a break up or divorce doesn't stop love. You remain friends with them or with friends who hurt you at one time because they were selfish, but love stays. If love doesnt remain then it was never there in the first place. And for those that I hated, honestly I can barely remember why most of the time and when I catch a glimpse of them somewhere i'll even smile at them and say hi because I let that hate go.

Why do you think TPTB are doing everything they can to break away the bonds of family by saying things like "the children belong to everyone", to discourage us from having "best friends", by instead making kids play equally with all children? Because they know just how strong the bonds of love are. they know that when people really love and form those bonds that they would and will go to the ends of the earth for love.

I am a mother and I would do anything for my kids, there is nothing that they could do to make me hate them, or give up on them. I am a sister and a daughter a grandaughter and a friend and a wife and I will walk to the ends of the earth for anyone who I love. But to those I've hated well, I might give them a bone and some water but i'm not going anywhere for them.

Love is the strongest!

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 04:07 PM
link   
In a perfect world love would be the strongest. Fear is the strongest. Look what people will do while they are afraid.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join